Send Topic Print
What to look for? (Read 168 times)
novo64
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What to look for?
02/15/12 at 16:17:49

Well I have been in here a while looking around and hoping some one can point me in the right direction.  I am going to look at a 2003 savage on Friday,  what are some of the things I should look for besides the usual has the bike been dropped, has it been well maintained type things.  Thank for your help.

Randy

IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Re: What to look for?
Reply #1 - 02/15/12 at 16:27:05

This may help:

Its a basic guideline to buying a motorcycle in general. He also has alot of other good information.

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
novo64
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/15/12 at 16:33:31

Doug Thank you very much!  That was very informative.  But I was looking for a little more specific info on Savages since I have never owned one.  I have had an Intruder and now have a KLR650,  but this will be for my wife and want to make sure it is in good shape.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 02/15/12 at 16:40:21

Mileage

18,000 miles and more indicates a need for a cam chain tensioner extension (Verslavy).

Same mileage tends to point to possible need of vac petcock tube replacement (or a replacement mechanical petcock if you swing that sorta way)

Tires, what shape are they in?    Originals were IRC tires (and they tend to suck pretty much when they get half worn out or better).  A 2003 should be on its second or third set of rear tires and second front tire unless it was a low mileage garage queen.

Ask who did the maintenance on the bike.   Front pads, check them (you can see them if you look closely) for thickness.   Ask about brand of oil filter used and brand and weight of oil that was used.

We can mention all these things, but you don't really know what we are talking about, really.   But the fact you are asking will back off the price somewhat as the seller does know what we are asking about ....

Oh yeah, check the ildle speed -- if it isn't a fast idle then the bike may have been partially starved for oil in the upper end (cam bearings).

The seller is selling it for some reason -- at 18,000 miles we have a good idea of why.  

Listen to the following videos before you go and be familiar with idle speeds and "cam chain slap sounds".

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1308708632

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
palehorseman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highpoint nc
Reply #4 - 02/15/12 at 16:42:27

Timing chain sounds... clutch slippage... fifth to fourth downshift slip... backfiring and overfiring upon deceleration... brake indicator... clutch indicator... tires... all these things are good to note and use as negotiation points. Allthese things are common issues with these bikes. Dont let that deter you. All bikes have different issues. These are minor compaired to others. My advice is to find as many issues as you can. Get it as cheap as you can. And spend a few days and a few hundred bucks to make it a rock solid thumper. Good easy bike to work on. One of the easiest simplest and most reliable.

IP Logged
novo64
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/15/12 at 16:50:43

Outstanding this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.  so far all I know is in the below e-mail I received from him and a picture of the bike.

Hi
I saw your ad looking for a suzuki savage
I have a 2003  I was planning on putting up for sale this spring
It has 6500 miles on it and is in good shape
I'll attach picture
Was going to ask about $2200 this spring but if you wanted it now I would sell for lower

motorcycle1_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Reply #6 - 02/15/12 at 17:06:44

No prob. Novo. Wish you luck and hope all goes well.

IP Logged
palehorseman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highpoint nc
Reply #7 - 02/15/12 at 17:41:50

Sounds like a fair asking price. Best of luck with haggling. It looks clean.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 02/15/12 at 20:42:14

Don't talk while you are looking/feeling your potential bike. Concentrate on your job. Sit on it with permission and pull clutch and brakes, rocking it back and forth gently feeling the shifter change. Crank it and ride it if possible. Let it set and idle while you walk around it. Lay down and look up. Looking/feeling will tell you a lot. Take your time. Just remember, there is a deal every day. You don't have to take something you're not sure about. Good luck.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 02/16/12 at 05:24:14

Looks pretty much original... exhaust, turn signals, handlebars, etc.  Which probably means it hasn't had much tinkering... which to me is a good thing!  Hate someone screwing up the setup and can't get it right.  And original turn signals "could" indicate it hasn't been dropped, cause they break easily with a drop. (yea, been there, done that).  6500 miles is good for an '03, I think.  $2200 isn't bad either.  $1800 would be better!  

Good luck!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Reply #10 - 02/16/12 at 05:29:37

babyhog wrote on 02/16/12 at 05:24:14:
Looks pretty much original... exhaust, turn signals, handlebars, etc.  Which probably means it hasn't had much tinkering... which to me is a good thing!  Hate someone screwing up the setup and can't get it right.  And original turn signals "could" indicate it hasn't been dropped, cause they break easily with a drop. (yea, been there, done that).  6500 miles is good for an '03, I think.  $2200 isn't bad either.  $1800 would be better!  

Good luck!

$1800... I was thinking the same thing. xD

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/16/12 at 05:39:12

Whats that chrome thing just above the heat/ connection cover shield

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 02/16/12 at 06:08:15

I think that's just the heat shield. One other thing to look for...where the header meets the cylinder head, grab a flashlight and check to see if there is oil residue dripping inside the hole there.
It's a common problem to have the head plug leak oil there but it's an easy fix.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #13 - 02/16/12 at 17:16:24

I asked this question myself when I bought my Sav.  Coming mostly from dirt bikes as a wee lad and going for rips with my Grandpa on his ol' BSA, I wanted to make sure the bike was a good choice....

I think that thread got pinned in the tech section, actually.  I'll go look for a link...  Yup.  Here ya go.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1295653542

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 02/18/12 at 08:36:54

Shift linkage is flimsy potmetal, see if it is bent between the hiem joints. Easy fix if you want to drop the left side foot bracketry.

If the bike has EVER had Castrol Actevo oil in it, walk away. Stuff is bad news, ruins clutch plates (frictions and steels).

Grab the belt and try to twist it 60 to 90 degrees about the center of the bottom run.  If it won't flex over walk away, too tight ruins the drive sprocket seal and can damage the output shaft. Most people run them too tight.

Weak fork seals, mine lasted 5 minutes after taking initial delivery. Makes a mess but doesn't hurt anything.

Mine has had oil leaks since day one. It is a British style engine, expect British style leaks.

Head pipe nuts will back off while riding. Check monthly, no big deal.

Poorly made electrical switches, expect the sidestand and clutch switches to be bypassed. Spiders like to nest in the bar switches, shorts them out until cleaned. Be careful with the left switch, guts fall out after a few years, little springs and check balls go everywhere. Simple fix, switch is cheap. If the turn signals won't stay on, the switch has fallen apart.

Think BSA or Ironhead Sportster. You'll encounter more petty nuisances than serious issues.

Oh, if you can, pull the 6 pin relay off the frame where the tank and seat meet. Look for corrosion in the plugs. If it gets wet, the bike either won't start or destroys batteries.

I've had mine since 2/98.  It's a nice toy motorcycle, I usually have something bigger for serious riding (I'm 6'2" 230#, even with serious mods it gets cramped after a couple hundred miles).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What to look for?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.