Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Early two-part seat on new generation Savage (Read 173 times)
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Early two-part seat on new generation Savage
02/15/12 at 10:59:20

Found the old style more comfortable so found a way to mount to a 2011.  First I unstapled the rear vinyl of the passenger seat, drilled a hole, fabbed an L shape bracket and bolted to seat under the vinyl.  Pic shows long bolt only because this is mockup, going to recover seat later.  Relocated rectifier to side of battery.  Drilled hole through front of fender to allow bolting of passenger seat front tab.  Used button-head bolt and nut for lowest clearance above tire.  Then put on spacing washers and tightened second nut over top of tab and first nut so wouldn't have to worry about bolt falling out every time I remove rear seat.  Sissybar is backrest work-in-progress.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Re: Early two-part seat on new generation Savage
Reply #1 - 02/15/12 at 11:34:16

Interesting...

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #2 - 10/06/12 at 08:06:49

bumping this thread because i was thinking of doing something similar.  except, since i never do 2 up riding (i can barely ride with just me on it sometimes lol)  was thinking of building some sort of a bracket or 'deck' to mount a storage trunk in the pillion area.

use it for storage....a backrest perhaps....and mount a 2nd brake light to it.  was wondering what i needed to do with the rectifier or if i could just build the rack over top of it.

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #3 - 10/06/12 at 10:36:34

in my opinion the second passenger seat is extra, and sit on it is not very convenient to be...it is much more logical would be selfish with the backrest for driver

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #4 - 10/06/12 at 19:55:05

Yeh, I never ride a passenger either.  Cut the passenger seat down and recovered it, then bolted on a base for the luggage bag.  It's a quick on/off with 4 hooks to unhook.  Sissy bar is still work in progress though I do have a padded backrest on it now.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #5 - 10/06/12 at 20:39:16

that's kinda cool!

i bought the 2 piece seat set off of ebay for cheap (needs recovered).  but the pillion won't retrofit to the newer fenders (no loop to fit the tabs under).  still thinking on it.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/06/12 at 23:31:13

The seat on the backhoe is toast, rusted, holes in the seat pans, fabric shot, seams ripping,, it about 25 years old, so, its fair,Anyway, Im repairing it.. Went to an upholstery shop & for $25.00, got enough heavy duty material to fix it all up. The guy said its what he uses to make toneau covers & it will handle being outside,, Enough to cover a bike seat? Cant cost much,..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 10/07/12 at 09:56:58

Hancock Fabrics, $5 plus tax will get you enough good black outdoor/marine vinyl to do 2 Savage seats and then some. Get outdoor grade thread and some glover's needles while you are there.

Customize your seat to your heart's content.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/07/12 at 16:51:00

Yea JoAnnes's is a craft chain of stores if there are any near you they have a nice selection of marine grade vinyl in different grades, patterns and quality.  I just got enough to redo a workout bench and two bike seats for about $12, it's nice and thick and would cover two S40 seats easily.  They also have different types of stuffing/padding if you want to experiment with different types for a more custom/comfortable seat.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #9 - 10/08/12 at 11:18:26

thinking of using heavy weight carpet padding as the 1st layer, cushier carpet padding as a top layer and then some laminate flooring sheeting as a smoothing layer (it's kinda like headliner foam...but not really).  then cover the whole thing with the marine vinyl.  

and hope for the best lol.

i'm more concerned about making a 'shelf' where the 2nd seat would go.  i'm not much for fabrication skills....so i'm guessing it'll be ugly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Early two-part seat on new generation Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.