Send Topic Print
starter (Read 201 times)
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
starter
02/14/12 at 14:50:47

How do you tell whether the relay or the starter is bad? The relay clicks but the starter doesnt move. When you apply hot lead directly to starter it doesnt move either. Im going with starter...... Grrrrrrrrrrr. Anyone got a starter for cheap?

01 savage, voodoo vintage short chop frame, lowered forks, chain conversion, re-jetted, total badass attittude, Straight pipe, alien gas tank.
  IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Re: starter
Reply #1 - 02/14/12 at 16:24:50

So Just pulled the starter from the bike. And it spins on the bench with power. Time to trace back in the wiring harness and just see if something is loose. Have to say, easiest starter ive ever had to pull....     Grin

01 savage, voodoo vintage short chop frame, lowered forks, chain conversion, re-jetted, total badass attittude, Straight pipe, alien gas tank.
  IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #2 - 02/14/12 at 16:31:10

Well...... Ignore this thread...     Grin.   I really over thought this one and almost spent 150 bucks for nothing. Blown fuse.......

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/14/12 at 20:12:31

When you apply hot lead directly to starter it doesnt move either.

Why didnt it spin over then?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #4 - 02/15/12 at 03:32:15

Dunno... Worked fine on the bench test. Got a new batt an fuses going to give it another go tonight .

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 02/15/12 at 04:39:25

k9500winmag
I dunno for sure why the starter didn't spin either, but . . .

I have jumped mine, negative grounded to the frame, positive to the starter.  Be sure you pull the clutch and are in neutral.  it seems there are some safety switches involved as well.

Of course, a blown fuse and a bad battery will make things not work too.

just a thought.  Now my head hurts. Sad

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #6 - 02/15/12 at 05:33:27

Replaced the fuse, filled the batt and trickle charged it last night. Tonight when I get home I will put it all back together and swear at it until it works lol

IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Reply #7 - 02/15/12 at 05:43:07

k9500winmag wrote on 02/15/12 at 05:33:27:
Replaced the fuse, filled the batt and trickle charged it last night. Tonight when I get home I will put it all back together and swear at it until it works lol

*laughs* Good luck to ya.  Smiley

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 02/15/12 at 06:28:46

If you've had the left engine cover off then check to make sure the washer on the thrust gear is in the right spot...
I've been burned on that before... Embarrassed

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #9 - 02/15/12 at 07:03:32

Didnt have to pull the engine cover. Just to the 2 bolts on the back and slid it out.

IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #10 - 02/15/12 at 14:28:53

Ok...... Angry so all she does is blow the fuse as soon as you touch the starter. Obviously, a short somewhere. Wiring looks good, everything is tight.... Ideas, bad voltage regulator? The relay still makes a clicking sound. Im getting frustrated. Only had the darling for two weeks. :'(

IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #11 - 02/15/12 at 20:42:50

I have narrowed it down to more than likely being a bad rectifier..... And they are exspensive. Found some for cheap but I want an opinion. Its by ZJMOTO and they want 26 bucks?     http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/454220818-SV400-Import-LS650-Savage-SV65....   worth a shot?

IP Logged
Gary
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/15/12 at 20:49:37

Replace the fuse with a lamp (light bulb) spare signal light lamp would work.
Should come on nice and bright. start trouble shooting when the light goes out
you are on the right track. Starter won't work with the lamp in the circut but if you find the short the light goes out and you can put  the  fuse back in.

IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #13 - 02/15/12 at 20:51:25

Awesome. Will do that tomorrow. Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 02/15/12 at 21:16:09

k9500winmag wrote on 02/15/12 at 14:28:53:
Ok...... Angry so all she does is blow the fuse as soon as you touch the starter. Obviously, a short somewhere. Wiring looks good, everything is tight.... Ideas, bad voltage regulator? The relay still makes a clicking sound. Im getting frustrated. Only had the darling for two weeks. :'(

? I don't get how you think it's a bad rectifier?
The starter circuit gets no where near it.
Still think it's bad? disconnect it.  it'll work w/o it.

clicking sound is a low voltage indicator.
it goes rat a tat tat when the voltage goes low.
you gotta volt meter?  check the voltage on your battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:22:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.