Send Topic Print
Trim the Trim? (Read 200 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Trim the Trim?
02/13/12 at 15:41:41

Aside from looking shiny, do our chrome cylinder head cover and drive belt guard do anything worthwhile? Regarding the latter, I don't ever expect to carry a passenger, FWIW.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Trim the Trim?
Reply #1 - 02/13/12 at 15:53:11

Un like a chain drive, if a belt snaps, it's not likely to whip out and splitting things in 2... very important things.  The worst case is a nasty welt.

Although if you get caught up in the front pulley, you will loose things.  So leave that gaurd in place.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/13/12 at 16:42:38

Mine are keeping my stock muffler company in my shop... I've thrown away three stock mufflers and one beltguard...
My inventory is now two guards, one muffler, and four head covers...
Don't know why... Huh...

The beltguard, at least has an excuse for existing, even if it ain't necessary... but the chrome head covers are worse than useless, they just get in the way...

Easy weight loss...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 02/13/12 at 20:34:31

Serowbot just want's a sleeper bobber cafe racer chopper track bike...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/13/12 at 20:48:16

Built2Last wrote on 02/13/12 at 20:34:31:
Serowbot just want's a sleeper bobber cafe racer chopper track bike...

Nailed it... Grin...

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - 02/14/12 at 03:56:54

Some say the left front bolt that holds on the decorative chrome head cover (the bolt that sticks up out of the head) is necessary for proper sealing of the head.

There are at least two solutions. The first, if you don't want to disassemble the head, is to stack twenty-something washers on the bolt and then tighten it down with the stock nut. I suppose a section of steel tubing could accomplish the same thing. Either way, it looks funky but it's functional.

But if you're going to have the head apart, you can replace that long bolt with a short one, like I did.

Or you could go with the group that says that bolt isn't necessary for proper head sealing and just cut it off/leave it out.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/14/12 at 06:44:18

If you're careful, and determined, you can cut that bolt head off with a hacksaw blade...

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #7 - 02/14/12 at 06:52:33

Following up on MotoBuddha's comment; I removed both chrome head covers and developed a small oil leak on the left side as I didn't secure that bolt.

Instead of taking the head off (at that moment) I cut a small section of iron pipe to use as a spacer and bolted that down with a few washers to solve the problem. twenty washers might be an understatement, the pipe section wasn't far from 2.5".

belt guard... eh, people say they protect from rocks in your belt, others say they direct rocks to your belt. i think my state (PA) requires a belt guard for passing inspection so i keep mine around (not on, mind you) and toss it on for the one day i need it inspected.

pulley guard. I rode without mine for a few months, tore a good bit of my jeans up near my left foot. Kind of glad i was in old worn down jeans and didn't have shoe laces. that guard went back on. Some people 'round these parts cut holes in them or slots or fab up some lightweight business out of wire mesh to prevent your pants from being ripped off.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about extreme weight-loss for our bikes if you care to search for it, though getting rid of the head covers for me was just aesthetic (aside from being able to get at the spark plug a touch easier).

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 07/09/12 at 21:41:36

Actually, I use the washer trick (I'm still using the decorative chrome head cover) to I can torque that bolt correctly when I am letting the valve cover sealant set up after having said cover off:

Got stung with some oil seepage here once when I did not do this trick.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/09/12 at 22:59:30

I just chopped that bolt off this weekend. I thought a read a thread a while ago where a lot of people say that the bolt does not effect the engine, cause leaks, etc if you remove it. I Hope i didnt cause an oil leak by cutting it off!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/09/12 at 23:03:38

If it does, itll fix.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 07/09/12 at 23:09:52

Mine's never leaked... 25k miles... Huh...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 20:13:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trim the Trim?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.