New project (Read 192 times)
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
New project
02/07/12 at 22:23:09

So I have been absent from the board recently because I have reached a happy point with the little Suzuki and decided to start a new project: a 1978 Honda gl1000. Thats right. A Goldwing.
I picked it up early in January on a whim for $450 as a mostly-running, nearly-all-there bike with 42,000 miles; which is not really a lot for a wing, they do over 200,000. The previous owner had stalled on it after a partial rebuild and left it sit for 5 year. He was happy that I wanted to get it on the road again. The work is taking place mostly in the parking lot and in my apartment. I rebuilt the carbs on the dining room table.
Its strange having a 4 cylinder bike with a radiator, fuel pump, water pump, alternator, and (gasp) a fuel gauge  Grin. The Savage still gets run on at least a weekly basis, thanks to this mild Pa winter. My friends are all disappointed that I refuse to sell her, even with 2 motorcycles and no garage to store either.

I started a build thread at the Naked GoldWing Club (for naked bikes, not people Roll Eyes) here: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38662

Heres a picture of what it looked like when I got it

and where I'm at now (still in progress)

I'd like to thank everyone here for helping me when I was just a noob and for giving me the sort of knowledge and confidence in my mechanical ability to create such awesome machines.

more to come  Wink

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New project
Reply #1 - 02/07/12 at 22:50:49

Ive heard of people doing the Rat/Hot Rod with a Wing,,they run good, stripped down, the weights down low ( I guess), Ive heard they handle well & run fast.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 02/08/12 at 05:16:52

I saw one or two of these on BikeExif and thought they looked wicked.

Even on yours, not complete yet, the look is pretty awesome. I'd love to do the same thing some day.

thems some purty colored pipes, too  Grin

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 02/08/12 at 08:20:09

Pics not there....can repost?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/08/12 at 08:28:42

link works.

WWW   IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #5 - 02/08/12 at 13:51:41

Look out,they're addictive!
I'm in the middle of a frame up rework on a 75 GL1000,then it's on to the 79 GL1000,after that it's the 2 82 GL 1100s(one's a standard,one's an Aspencade)
That's not counting the 75 CB750 on the side.(The only one actually running at the moment!)
Now before any one gets upset,I'm riding a 96 Savage and bobbing another 96.
For my next daily rider I'm almost finished with my 83 GS1100.
And I guess somewhere down the road I'll actually do something with the 86 Kawasaki ZL600.
(You know,what I REALLY need is another project bike! Grin)

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 02/08/12 at 20:07:48

darn ratz, thats an obsession. though, I'll admit that I would do the same thing if I could. I had considered an old goldwing only hypothetically before but this one kinda fell into my lap. I was looking for a larger cc project as a highway bike as a late Christmas present to myself. The previous owner had already painted the frame, rebuilt the brakes, gotten new tires, and swapped in some 1100 carbs. However, he did neglect the latter, resulting in all 4 of the pilot jets being clogged and resulting in the beautiful color of the Jardine pipes. once I rebuilt the carbs and took it for a spin  Shocked its got a lot of chutzpah, even for a 600-some lb behemoth.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 02/09/12 at 05:47:49

Assuming the chromed fender off your Honda will fit the Savage (too wide maybe?) and assuming that if it does, you want to sell it, how much would you want for it?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
tony 1538
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Paris Ontario
Reply #8 - 02/11/12 at 14:59:47

Check  www.dotheton.com there are a few cool Gold Wing cafe bikes there

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #9 - 02/21/12 at 18:20:30

Sorry arteacher, but I'm reusing the chrome fender, painted black though. besides I think it is too big, but then again, anything can be modified.

Here are some more pictures as it nears completion.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #10 - 02/22/12 at 16:45:57

That is one sharp looking ride! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print