spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: broke bobber
Reply #16 - 02/08/12 at 10:59:10

Service range is 145 to 204 psi, cold.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/16/12 at 09:48:03

ok so its time for an update for all those that have been helping me out. Did a compression check and it was at 60psi, not even enough to start the motor. So i figured it was time to tear into it and see what the hell is going on. got a buddy of mine that is helping me out with the tear down and rebuild, once we got the head off it came real clear what the problem is. the piston ring is compressed in and staying there on one side"the other side of the ring moves free but this side is stuck inside the groves and aint goin nowhere". so seems to me thats where all that compression is goin. next step is pulling the piston, clean it up, new rings and gasket set all the way up. and it should purr like a kittin, "a very loud kittin" lol. any input?

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #18 - 02/16/12 at 10:35:39

obligatory and mandatory comments:
1) the "Well while you're in there..." comment about adding performance parts and/or doing other maintenance items (like fixing the head plug leak)

2) the "Did you think to..." comment about checking other tolerances and scoping out how your gaskets were holding up, making sure they were sealed properly

3) the "Wish you the best.." comment trying to provide moral support

4) the "For the children..." comment; take pictures for posterity!

yeah, think i covered the bases  Cheesy

I had "bad" compression a while back and another member (BurnPGH) helped me tear down the engine. I had burned through a gasket, but after putting everything back together had "worse" compression. you might be wondering about the quotes on all that. they are there because my compression tester was bunk, ha ha. all that work... but my gasket was screwed, so that was good. good learning experience too, minus the whole can't-ride feeling that sucks.

EDIT: I've never broken in a new set of rings, but you might want to ask recommendations on how to handle that. My first inclination at having a bike alive again would be to ride the dickens out of it ASAP, but i *know* that can't be good...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/16/12 at 11:33:40

haha yea that cant ride my bike feeling sure does blow, luckily tho ive got this pos 97 thats about to fall apart to hold me over. i was thinking about that break in period aswell and if i do end up putting in new rings then the wheelies will just have to wait "haha yea right". I dunno tho im thinking that with the sickly amount of carbon build up thats in that engine that maybe "just maybe" ill be able to clean it all up, get them grooves in that piston cleaned n what not that maybe i could still use the same rings and just have to get new gaskets. i know that the head gasket came off in three different layers and the valve cover gasket had seen better days so im sure ill atleast need new ones of those. im just ready to have the ol bobber back out.  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 02/16/12 at 14:08:12

spacepirates wrote on 02/16/12 at 10:35:39:
I've never broken in a new set of rings, but you might want to ask recommendations on how to handle that. My first inclination at having a bike alive again would be to ride the dickens out of it ASAP, but i *know* that can't be good...

Yeah. If memory serves me (and it doesn't always), the owners manual has some guidelines for a new bike.  They should be pretty close, I'd think.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/20/12 at 09:38:10

ok next question, how in the world to i get that pin out to pull the piston, i had gotten a socket to fit in the whole and tapped on it a lil, but the lil bastard done wanna budge. am i missing something Angry

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 02/20/12 at 11:05:18

you take the retaining ring out?

WWW   IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/21/12 at 00:25:43

yea, never mind. we ended up gettin it out, did pull the clips out but it was just in there real good. shouldnt these bikes have a wrist pin bearing?

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/23/12 at 07:35:57

You should be able to throw a little heat to the piston with a small torch, it should then come right out.. Not too much.. If that doesn't work put it in the press..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:31:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › broke bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.