Send Topic Print
broke bobber (Read 416 times)
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

broke bobber
02/03/12 at 19:05:44

in need of some help! my names jon and im havin some issues, ive got an 04 savage bobber thats been broke down for about 6 months now. one day i was riding to work and it started to run really ruff, then it cut out, at first i thought that the cam chain had snapped, but nope. i pulled the cover off and every thing looked fine. checked spark and it didnt have too strong of one so i cleaned up the plug a bit, got good spark but still nothing. checked and it seems to be gettin gas. everything seems to be in order, but still wont fire. starter just keeps turning the motor. btw bikes got about 16000 miles on it. any help would be awsome. thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: broke bobber
Reply #1 - 02/03/12 at 20:12:12

well you did the basics, fuel and fire... oops... what about air?
dirty air filter got the last guy.
and there's always a question... do you really got fuel?
try some starter fluid.

and where you be in case a helping hand is around the corner?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/04/12 at 03:47:26

These things are notorious for having enough battery to spin the motor nicely & fail to fire off due to weak spark. You saw a spark generated by a free spinning engine, no compression to draw current in the starter, leaving power to spare to fire the plug. Make sure the battery is fuly charged, use some starting fluid, LIGHTLY,,, because as Versy says,, best to know you have a fuel in there to light off than wonder, & do make sure its breathing easy, it wont kill it to pull the air filter to get it started,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/04/12 at 12:22:14

yea im thinkin i should just go get a new spark plug and air filter, ive tried using a lil bit of starting fluid, but nothing. also i do believe the stator is out, the last few weeks i was riding i was having to charge the battery up every night. i was led to believe that it would run"for a while" even with the stator out as long as the battery was charged, is there any chance that could be my whole problem? Maybe the stator provides that extra lil jolt?

IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/04/12 at 12:45:04

crestview florida btw

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/04/12 at 14:08:38

thumper wrote on 02/04/12 at 12:22:14:
also i do believe the stator is out, the last few weeks i was riding i was having to charge the battery up every night. i was led to believe that it would run"for a while" even with the stator out as long as the battery was charged, is there any chance that could be my whole problem? Maybe the stator provides that extra lil jolt?

It will go a day w/out charging (that's probably 2 to 3 hours max)
Yes a discharged battery has caused many a problem.
check your connectors, a little corrosion makes a big difference.

WWW   IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/06/12 at 09:28:38

ok so went and got a fresh spark plug, undid the intake duct to be sure its breathing, and used a lil starter fluid. but nothing, still not starting. am i missin somethin here?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 02/06/12 at 09:47:18

Are you absolutely positive the battery is fully charged?  Huh

Just because it will crank the bike, doesn't mean it will fire it up.  Sad

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 02/06/12 at 10:31:44

thumper wrote on 02/06/12 at 09:28:38:
ok so went and got a fresh spark plug, undid the intake duct to be sure its breathing, and used a lil starter fluid. but nothing, still not starting. am i missin somethin here?

You need three things: air, fuel, and spark.

Air is easy, you've opened up the intake. Fuel, is also not hard here since you are shooting in some starter fluid (it should at least fire once or twice on that).

Now to check the spark. Pull the plug, stick it in the spark cap, position it near the head and turn the starter. you should see a nice bright spark and if you're lucky, you'll feel it running through you too. don't worry, it isn't enough to hurt, just enough to wake you up a little  Wink

a few years ago I had trouble starting in the cold because my battery was low. enough juice to turn 'er over but not enough to spark at the same time, so that is a legitimate concern. Even if you get a spark using the previously stated test method, the engine is a lot easier to turn over sans spark plug. maybe if you had a second one to plug the hole while testing the other out of the engine....

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/06/12 at 11:55:20

its got a fresh plug in and it seems to have good spark. whats kinda starting to worry me is that the last time it was ridden it started running very rough and then it cut out, it pretty much went from running just fine to running terrible to broke down on the side of the road within a half mile.  im wondering if there is anything internal that im not thinking of that may have happened. anything with ignition timing? valves? im thinking i should open the top of the motor and get a look at the cam. im really not sure what id be lookin for tho Undecided

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 02/06/12 at 12:45:29

thumper wrote on 02/06/12 at 11:55:20:
its got a fresh plug in and it seems to have good spark. whats kinda starting to worry me is that the last time it was ridden it started running very rough and then it cut out, it pretty much went from running just fine to running terrible to broke down on the side of the road within a half mile.  im wondering if there is anything internal that im not thinking of that may have happened. anything with ignition timing? valves? im thinking i should open the top of the motor and get a look at the cam. im really not sure what id be lookin for tho Undecided

my mistake, i should have re-read the whole thread before i started shooting my mouth off.

if you know it has air/fuel/spark and it still won't fire that doesn't leave much fun stuff. could the exhaust be plugged up?

Do you know when the last time the valves were adjusted was? Can you also verify the starter solenoid is working? I don't think slightly-out-of-spec valves could do much more than make the engine run like crap, but who knows. maybe an adjustment locknut worked itself loose. a compression test wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Put the battery on a charger and try and start her like that (if you have a charger with a "start" setting), verify your valve clearances. pulling the head is a good bit of work that we might want to try to avoid if you can, albeit it is very informative.

if you have the ability, take a video of trying to start the bike. seeing a process and hearing the result helps a lot. heck, i noticed a huge difference in how my starter sounded between batteries (going from old stock to bigcrank to mini battery). those weak battery starter sounds still haunt my dreams to this day....  :'(

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/06/12 at 12:59:49

yea im gonna have to do a compression check, i just got into the top end to check out the cam and all that, everything looked fine. honestly i couldnt tell ya last time the valves was checked, its been sense before ive owned it "i put prolly 3000 miles on it".

IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/06/12 at 13:02:28

ill get it sealed up and put back together and figure out how to send a video  of me tryin to start it, maybe im missin somethin thats a dead givaway, who knows

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 02/06/12 at 13:33:17

thumper wrote on 02/06/12 at 11:55:20:

With this statement, pretty sure you've overworked the battery and it's dropped a cell or two.  Check your voltage, if you don't have over 10v while the starter is turning, it won't start... period.

pull the plug on the headlight for a little less drain.

WWW   IP Logged
thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/06/12 at 13:47:52

ill check it out, i had the battery on a 97 i have for about a week when that one crapped out, seemed to do fine. ill hook it up and check tho, thanks man

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:19:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › broke bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.