Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Leather or Not? (Read 314 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

Leather or Not?
02/03/12 at 10:50:55

looking at two jackets, one is just leather, very very little protective padding and no armor

Joe Rocket Leather

the other is textile/leather combo but with lots of armor and padding

Cortech

I like them both, both are affordable for me, I currently have a mesh jacket, just looking for a change up in style and just something different.  I am in Texas so I've been kinda shy about getting leather since mesh is much cooler.  armor though almost never fits me right, mainly that the elbow pads slip down some.  I'm leaning towards the Joe Rocket Old School. . .

how important can armor be anyway right??

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Leather or Not?
Reply #1 - 02/03/12 at 11:01:12

If the armor isnt locked in place & theres room to raise it to where you want it, you could stitch below it & close the pocket so it would stay up.

How important is armor? Ask a tank driver.. Some days, ya dont need it, but when ya do, ya do.,,

Leather is great for certain weather conditions,, We arent having them this year,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/03/12 at 11:11:49

Racers wear leather,... for them it's not if, but when...
so I wear leather... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/03/12 at 11:33:49

Leather offers more overall protection.
armor will protect your joints from impact.

I have a textile tourmaster and a leather cortech jacket.
Textile is a lot lighter than leather.
Both have armor that fits well.
both have liners so are equally warm
textile is better if you get wet

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 02/03/12 at 12:41:17

If its hot were you are you only need a short sheave shirt.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #5 - 02/03/12 at 13:17:29

Buy 'em both. Wink

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 02/03/12 at 13:38:29

Good points, all.  I live in Texas too and I've generally gone with textiles (with as much Kevlar and armor as I can get). Quality leather is excellent abrasion resistance but most of the affordable stuff I've looked into wasn't really as thick as I would have liked and would not outperform the Kevlar I already have.  I actually have a Fonzie style jacket from my early 20's purchased in the Navy Exchange at Pearl Harbor but it has no room for armor and I think most of my textiles would outperform it.  I still wear it occasionally but my favorite is my Icon Strongarm and it's a combination of both...  Kevlar reinforced denim with armor and leather sleeves.  An interesting thing I noted about this jacket is that the manufacturer has sewn a St. Christopher medal into the inside of the inside breast pocket.  I'm not Catholic but I'll take all the help I can get.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 02/03/12 at 13:39:45

Neither suits me, as the color is wrong.  I prefer bright colors so I can be seen.  These jackets just blend in with the pavement, and are near invisible at night.  My mesh, armored jacket is bumblebee yellow and my helmet is candy apple red.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/03/12 at 13:55:52

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 02/03/12 at 13:39:45:
Neither suits me, as the color is wrong.  I prefer bright colors so I can be seen.  These jackets just blend in with the pavement, and are near invisible at night.  My mesh, armored jacket is bumblebee yellow and my helmet is candy apple red.

they come in different colors, and there are ways to add visibility.

I ordered the Joe Rocket one, I have a white mesh tourmaster one, so for something different I got the leather one.

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #9 - 02/03/12 at 14:22:17

I'll go with Jerry on this one. I have a textile armored jacket w/ zip-out quilted liner for cold weather. It's got some black, but plenty of yellow and white. It's much too warm - liner out, vents open - for summer here, so I also have a red First Gear armored mesh jacket with zip-out windprooof (but not quilted) liner for the remainder (most)  of the year. And a hi-viz yellow helmet that can be seen, I believe, from orbit.

I'm guessing it may get just a tad hot & humid around Alvin, TX on occassion. Mesh would help make that bearable. In any case, given the abundance of seemingly blind, definately preoccupied automobile drivers, I believe it behooves one to try to stand out like a turd in a punch bowl whilst operating a motorcycle. Leather has excellent abrasion resistance, of course, but is generally HOT and hard to see (I don't know how 'Bot does it). ATGATT!

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 02/03/12 at 15:00:06

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 02/03/12 at 13:39:45:

That's the only thing I have against my favorite jacket.  My others are silver or red with reflective piping, etc.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 02/03/12 at 15:34:48

Arizuno wrote on 02/03/12 at 14:22:17:
HOT and hard to see (I don't know how 'Bot does it). ATGATT!

90+ weather I don't... but, I'm not happy about it...
100+... I'm in a T-shirt... (I got hit by a Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 2 years ago, while I was in a T-shirt... It really hurt, but it would have hurt with leather or armored textile, too)...
"Armor" is a bit of a miss-characterization,... "pads" is more realistic...
It ain't "armor"...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/03/12 at 19:47:52

I prefer the Cortech. Why don't you check out Leatherup.com? They have some sweet Vulcan jackets...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 02/03/12 at 22:11:51

I also like MotorcycleGear.com.  They used to be NewEnough.com.  Most of their stuff is either overstock or last years' model but it's quality stuff at decent prices.  They're located in the Texas panhandle.

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 02/04/12 at 03:02:40

I've got mesh for hot, two types of textile for moderate or cold and heavy leather for cold.  ALL OF THEM WITH ARMOR TO PROTECT MY BEAUTIFUL BODY.
I was wearing the mesh last year when I was catapulted off the bike and then landing on my back, with the point of impact on the lower right side at just below belt level.  The launch did the most critical damage to my L1 vertebra but I fully believe the back armor saved me additional critical damage when slammed to the ground at 50 mph from a 20 ft high ariel arc.  
ARMOR WORKS...USE IT !

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:43:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Leather or Not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.