Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Leather or Not? (Read 314 times)
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Re: Leather or Not?
Reply #15 - 02/04/12 at 16:58:43

I have both.  For hot weather I use the textile mesh with armour.  For moderate days I use the leather which has only a little bit of padding. For cold days I use my textile with the insulation line and the waterproof liner.  Pants I use kevlar jeans for city speeds.  Highway speeds I have armoured textile kevlar mesh.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #16 - 02/05/12 at 17:53:08

I have both types of jackets. Now that I have lost
the weight, I can wear my textile jacket again Smiley
Infact wore it again today on a little ride. It has
a lining and with my other layers, kept me snuggly
warm.. Smiley

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #17 - 02/05/12 at 18:21:29

I have both mesh and core tech jackets with armor. The non mesh jacket works well in inclement weather. With the liner and a thin down vest I am toasty warm to + 2 c. However, hourly warm up stops are required at taht temp.  The cortech jacket will also do a good job of keeping you dey. Went thru a 1 hr hail storm a couple of years ago, and was nice and dry at the end of it. After just reading Lancer's ordeal, it's going to be armor all the time now.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 02/06/12 at 04:20:01

Skid Mark wrote on 02/05/12 at 18:21:29:
I have both mesh and core tech jackets with armor. The non mesh jacket works well in inclement weather. With the liner and a thin down vest I am toasty warm to + 2 c. However, hourly warm up stops are required at taht temp.  The cortech jacket will also do a good job of keeping you dey. Went thru a 1 hr hail storm a couple of years ago, and was nice and dry at the end of it. After just reading Lancer's ordeal, it's going to be armor all the time now.

You never know what may happen, or when.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/09/12 at 11:01:32

got the joe rocket jacket today, it kinda chokes me a bit, and it feels kinda weird all bunched up, pretty sure I'm going to return it and try something else

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 02/10/12 at 08:38:10

I like the look of this jacket... Pricey though... and I don't get the sizing?..
Gotta' be the coolest jacket I ever saw...
Wonder where I could steal one?... Huh...
http://www.heldusa.com/santana.html

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 02/12/12 at 22:46:18

LostArtist wrote on 02/09/12 at 11:01:32:
got the joe rocket jacket today, it kinda chokes me a bit, and it feels kinda weird all bunched up, pretty sure I'm going to return it and try something else

LA, if the jacket is new it's supposed to feel that way.

Just like genuine Italian leather shoes  Smiley

It'll feel tight in the beginning, but wear it for a few days and it will feel "snug", not "tight" anymore.
And the more you wear it, the more it will follow the contours of your body.

In a while, you won't want to wear anything else  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #22 - 02/13/12 at 16:47:49

This is more than you asked, but it is a good thing to talk about anyway.  I have had two head on collisions, a bunch of close calls, and a few lay downs and ride away.  So this comes from rather painful experience.

Boots, leather and above the ankle.  Period.  If your ankle rubs along the concrete, you will go through the skin and some bone amazingly quickly.  I NEVER ride without a boot over the ankle.  I use these Doc Martins in the summer http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-Lace-Toe-Hiker/dp/B000BOO43Y/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_2 and Cowboy boots on the colder days.

Pants, good denim (not designer) or better.  Good denim holds up surprisingly well.  But you do want to make sure you have something to keep the road rash off your backside.  No shorts, slacks, or designer denim. (Too thin)  You will want to sit down, or lie on your back afterwards...

Gloves are good to have if the heat allows.  The armor is not needed for most cases, but full fingers are.  Half gloves will not protect that most likely to get torn up.  (When your finger hooks on something sharp it hurts more than when your glove does)

Jacket... What you actually asked for...  A properly vented leather jacket will be just as cool as tex when moving.  All will be hot in Texas in August at a light.  I do not use a jacket in summer.  That said, I have a 25 year old leather jacket that still looks amazing.  Textile will not last that long.

Helmet...  The California study showed that the majority of head impacts were to the face an jaw.  Really...  So I either ware a full face or nothing.  Nothing has more closed head injury in the exact proportion to the reduced neck injuries...  A open face helmet has more the worst of both.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 02/13/12 at 16:53:59

+1 with the Hound... 'cept I do wear fingerless gloves,(actually I cut the fingers out of full gloves because "fingerless" tend to lack gauntlet)...
As an experienced crasher  Huh,..
I know I tend to ride my palms in a skid... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #24 - 02/13/12 at 17:21:47

I do too, but they actually take it a lot better than the fingers.  Both times I had scrapes on my palms and blood on my fingers.  It was summer...

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 02/14/12 at 14:53:50

so after it breaks in it'll quit choking my neck?

IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #26 - 02/17/12 at 11:07:54

Every time I ride. Even in 35C 98% humidity days.
Only uncomfortable at a stop. Wear underarmor shirts for wicking sweat and quick drying when you start to move.
I commute 45-60 minutes each way. 15-30 minutes of stop and go.

Snap-on 3/4 work boots.

AGV Excursion Kevlar lined Khakis for commuting

or
Tour Master Caliber Pants

Tourmaster Coaster II Jacket

HJC IS-6 helmet

Joe Rocket Michael Jordan "The One" Gloves

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:26:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Leather or Not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.