Electrical problem (Read 75 times)
liltimmy
YaBB Newbies

Have a Thumpin' good
time!

Paradise
Electrical problem
02/01/12 at 08:08:41

My headlight was not working. I thought I had it fixed by checking and re-plugging the connectors under the tank. Last night leaving the restaurant I got it back. I jerked the handle bars in disgust. The light came on. Then the starter would not engage. I thought well it helped the light and jerked the bars again and presto I could start the bike. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem?

Hey Suzuki, give it up, it's still a SAVAGE !!!!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Electrical problem
Reply #1 - 02/01/12 at 08:12:04

Off the top of my head I would trace wiring looking for worn areas and check the thumb switches.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/01/12 at 08:44:04

You need to get rid of the jerk on your bike.   Grin

headlight switch on the left, starter on the right... so it's not a common plug or wire.  The wires to the headlight run into the bucket thru a small hole which sometimes causes a failure there.  A little handlebar motion may fix a loose connection/broken wire temperarily.

I'd remove and replace the 2 main connectors and see what happens.
then clean your buttons.

WWW   IP Logged
palehorseman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highpoint nc
Reply #3 - 02/16/12 at 19:51:23

There are harnesses at the end of the left n rt hand controls under your tank that runs to your head light. If i remember right Theres a power loop that runs through both sides to the starter circuit. I may be wrong but im fairly certain the bike will do as described if either harness is seperated. I think its only two wires that effect it... maybe orange white n a grey? Anyway Pull those unions and sray some contact cleaner or something and push the little connectors into the harness as far as possible from behind after its back togeather to varify a positive contact. Always look for cracked or bare wire. And before u ride again tighten the bars by popping the caps on the riser clamps. Let me know what happens. Best of luck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:19:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.