Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Used shovel to put on new tire... (Read 64 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Used shovel to put on new tire...
01/29/12 at 17:59:17

I am guessing this will get a lot of looks. I mentioned getting a new tire for Christmas. Being mostly broke and really busy I just had it mounted last Monday. My wife bought me a 140/80-15 ME880 Metz. I saved $20 by taking off my wheel and taking it to the shop for mounting and balancing. Plus I had never seen the inside of my rear wheel. Pretty much like all mc hubs and brakes. I knocked together a "lift" similar Serowbot's but without the lifting handle. I just wiggled/pushed/lifted my Savage onto it. No problem taking the wheel off, but it was a little aggravating lining up the spacers and belt adjusters by myself during reassembly. I got a flat blade shovel and slipped it under the tire with my left hand while assembling the axle and parts with my right, raising/lowering  the wheel assembly as needed to line it up. I only rode it up the driveway and was startled to hear a noise from the rear. It turned out to be gravel being picked up by the new tire and bouncing off the fender. The K555 with 7500 miles didn't have enough tread to pick up a roofing tack.  Grin I fell in the yard while putting my tools back in the shop, so didn't get on the road yet. 61 degrees tomorrow with sun...going for a ride if I can find the time. As Red Green says, "Any tool can be the right tool".  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Used shovel to put on new tire...
Reply #1 - 01/29/12 at 18:05:59

Now, I was imagining you using a shovel as a tire iron...  
"Boy!,.. Those Metzlers are tough!"...  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 01/31/12 at 07:10:36

I've used a pry bar to readjust the rear tire before as well...  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/31/12 at 07:35:28

I mostly use my foot... it's cheap, and I always have it with me... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:32:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Used shovel to put on new tire...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.