Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Weird noise coming from engine (Read 428 times)
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Weird noise coming from engine
Reply #15 - 02/02/12 at 05:56:41

I got a much better video of the noise.  It gets worse when the engine warms up so I fired it up at lunch yesterday and let it idle for a bit.  You can hear it clearly in this video.

http://youtu.be/lrsx4GTW9jc

Again, not expecting a "here is your problem, here's how you fix it," but suggestions give me an idea what to look for and you never know, I might get lucky.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #16 - 02/02/12 at 06:27:03

Valves need adjusting?

I apologize if they have already been checked in this thread.

Cool

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 02/02/12 at 06:52:57

I got a much better video of the noise.

Hmmmm,,, you do, do you?? Im not exactly sure just what is wrong there,, maybe if I knew what the sound tasted like, it would help.. just a video of the sound just may not be enough, but, if yoiu havent already, Id say have a look at the valves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/02/12 at 08:50:41

I checked the valves and they appeared to be within spec without needing adjustment.  However, I have done my own maintenance for years (oil, tires, brakes, etc.), but this is the first time I've done anything inside the engine so it is entirely possible I did it wrong.

I'll pull the tank off again this weekend if I have time and do it again.  

I might make the time to give myself a break from the 3 adults 1 pitbull and 2 kids that will be staying at my house so they can go to a dog show.   Shocked

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #19 - 02/02/12 at 09:21:16

WOOF!   WOOF!

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 02/02/12 at 20:16:30

OK

Check this out ...

36 seconds into the warmed up vidio

Take the crome cover off the kickstand side and see if the compression release is bobbing up and down with the noise .  

My first thought was the intake valve on the kickstand side.

I put a spring between the compression release cable and where it hooks onto the release its self.

Good Luck and let us know when ya find it.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 02/02/12 at 20:31:35

Hooty wrote on 02/02/12 at 05:56:41:
I got a much better video of the noise.  It gets worse when the engine warms up so I fired it up at lunch yesterday and let it idle for a bit.  You can hear it clearly in this video.

http://youtu.be/lrsx4GTW9jc

Again, not expecting a "here is your problem, here's how you fix it," but suggestions give me an idea what to look for and you never know, I might get lucky.

This one definitely sounds worse.
If you can't find an external cause then it's time to go inside.
check the cam chain adjuster.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 02/03/12 at 06:34:47

How are you listening to it? If you havent tried the old Screwdriver handle on the bone just in front of the ear trick, ya otta give that a try. YOu can isolate where a noise is coming from well that way,

Feel your ear, the little pointy thing that sits right in front of the ear canal, the bone curves in about there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 02/03/12 at 08:07:19

You still have an enlarged valve clearance tapping some on the side opposite the half moon -- nothing serious, resolve to do better next time and ride it.

=============================

When you adjusted the valves, when you first put the feeler gages in the gaps, was there a whole lot of open space?    Did you adjust the decompression solenoid like you were supposed to when you did the valves?

After the valve adjustment was done -- did the engine still run sluggishly and with poor power?

Was the engine ever run "low on oil'?    Does it use a lot of oil?

I hope the answer to all of the above is a resounding "heck no !!" because mebbe I think I mebbe could possibly be hearing a mild head knock sound coming from some enlarged cam bearing clearances.  

The screwdriver or stethoscope tests would find the bearing clearance knock right around the rubber half moon or on the side opposite (where the cam bearing journals live).

Answer for this very mebbe issue at the mild level that you may have it is to continue to run it if it still performs well and simply be ready for flat sanding journal refit job when the time comes.

Wink

Now that I've scared the pure tee hummy out of you about what could mebbe be there, here's the simple truth about the whole thing.   Your bike sounds pretty much normal for an '02 that hasn't been taken care of very well.   Verslagen is straining to hear a little cam chain noise and I am straining to hear a mild bearing knock.  Both are about due in an '02 to some degree.

You are a musician type with acute hearing and a good sense of pitch.  You hear all the mechanical sounds that an engine makes normally.  

Savage engines with a few miles on them make noises.   Old Savage riders note them and then note if they get worse over time.  We save them little noises all up for the next time we have to take the covers off and THEN see what's what once we are in there.

Keep oil in it.  Keep the idle speed up over 1,000 rpm (keeps oil pressure up when idling).  Ride it.   If the noises are anything serious they will get worse over time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 02/03/12 at 08:51:46

I'm just hearing loose valves,.. possibly coming from a leaky exhaust gasket, because the noise sounds louder towards the front of the head...

You didn't confuse inches for millimeters, did you?...
Quote:
The specs call for a clearance of 0.003" to 0.005" for both intake and exhaust. In mm, it's 0.08 mm to 0.13 mm.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 02/03/12 at 09:09:10

Serowbot, he's not sure he rotated the the crank in the right direction to get TDC, he may have TDC on the exhaust stroke.   He said he was gonna recheck the valves, but never actually said he did.   Needs to do the decompression solenoid adjustment when he does it again (required at valve adjustment time).

Young man, college age mebbe, musician (guitar?)   Busy .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 02/03/12 at 09:18:55

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/03/12 at 09:09:10:
Young man, college age mebbe, musician (guitar?)   Busy .....

Wish that were me... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #27 - 02/04/12 at 18:51:51

My bike sounds exactly the same, with the same source (top of the engine)...or at least from what I can tell from the video.

Mine is an '03 tha I bought with 4300 miles.  I've put about another 400 so far.  I took it to the local Suzuki shop to get a service, because I'm no mechanic, and haven't done anything beyond changing the oil and front brake pads and tire (with some help no less).  When I took it to the shop, he thought the noise would lessen with a valve adjustment.

Anyway, the mechanic did the service, which included adjusting the valves to spec.  He thought it still seemed loud, so he called Suzuki about it, and played it over the phone.  They basically said "that's how they sound".

To me, my noise sounds a bit extreme, like something is banging in the head and it will eventually it will be a problem.  But it runs great now, and there's enough "that's how they sound" on the board here that makes me thing it's fine (as long as the cam tensioner is okay, which I'll check in the springtime.)

I'd love to sit in the garage with any of the experts here and take a closer look...I don't suppose any of you guys are in Pittsburgh?

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 04/16/12 at 16:51:42

Well I finally found the time to get greasy.  Growing up and getting a job means I don't have as much time or patience as I used to for projects.

I got the clutch cover off and took a look at the tensioner.  It is out about 16mm. That's not great considering the low miles, but is it really enough to cause the noise?

IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #29 - 04/16/12 at 18:59:13

My CCT was out about 16mm at 7000mi. (2005 S40).  Seems over the years the chain has been stretching earlier and earlier.  I believe I read something around here earlier that Suzuki switched manufacturers for that as of late?  Anyway, did the Verslavy to make sure it didn't come apart inside the cover and cause problems and put that fear to rest.  Not saying that's the problem, but something you may want to take care of when you have the side cover off and she's down anyway to prevent issues a few thousand miles down the road.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 22:37:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weird noise coming from engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.