Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RYCA Decomp controller, s-stand relay/diode/switch (Read 451 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
RYCA Decomp controller, s-stand relay/diode/switch
01/25/12 at 09:21:58

After some low-productivity times, the production line for Double-RYCA build is probably going to get moving again.  The next order of business is the electrical system.  I have all the plugs and wires identified, labeled, and in their approximate positions.

For a 2002 Savage being RYCA-ized, is there something tidy to do with these items?
-- Decompression solenoid controller
-- Side stand relay -- take it off?
-- Side stand diode -- remove it?  leave it wired in?
-- Side stand switch -- remove it? jump the terminals in the connector?

My understanding is that for most RYCA builds, these things just stay on the bike and are taped off and hidden. (Sbaugz gave me that info) 

Wouldn't it be tidier, though, if they could be removed, and the wiring "adjusted" somewhat so their removal would allow normal operation of the rest of the electrical system.

I half way considered using one of the hugely simplified home-built wiring systems archived here, but that would take a lot longer and with my luck I'd have to spend days sorting it out after installing it.

Anyway, if any of you have ideas about how to tidy things up electrically, without a large increase in time required, I'd like to know about them.

Thanks.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: RYCA Decomp controller, s-stand relay/diode/sw
Reply #1 - 01/25/12 at 09:41:40

There is a simplified wiring diagram in the tech section.  I have not built and used it myself, though I have toyed with the idea of doing so at some point.  If I were in your position, I might consider creating a new harness fitted to your specific needs and relocations.  Just a thought.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 01/25/12 at 10:41:40

Savage_Rob wrote on 01/25/12 at 09:41:40:
There is a simplified wiring diagram in the tech section.  I have not built and used it myself, though I have toyed with the idea of doing so at some point.  If I were in your position, I might consider creating a new harness fitted to your specific needs and relocations.  Just a thought.

I had that thought,too, but I'm at the point where I just want to be done with this.  Building a new simplified wiring harness would take a few evenings at least, and then I'd have to troubleshoot it after installation which would add some more time.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/25/12 at 11:53:04

Here's a circuit I was working on with someone w/o the decomp and safety's.
I'd prefer you left the clutch and kickstand safety's in.
« Last Edit: 09/26/22 at 14:30:34 by verslagen1 »  

96-04-ig-starter_001.JPG
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 01/25/12 at 12:21:56

Gyrobob wrote on 01/25/12 at 10:41:40:
I had that thought,too, but I'm at the point where I just want to be done with this.  Building a new simplified wiring harness would take a few evenings at least, and then I'd have to troubleshoot it after installation which would add some more time.

True.  It's something I probably won't do until I do a full stripdown for repaint, etc. and rebuild it with new wiring... or if the existing were to be damaged enough that it would take a significant amount of time to repair.  Right now, just regular maintenance for the most part.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 01/25/12 at 13:03:57

with the right tool you can pull  pin and wire oot of the closest harness connector..that be clean

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/25/12 at 17:59:25

Yaz, oh but do remember youll need to get it oot carefully, dear.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 01/25/12 at 19:34:04

I was just studying the wiring diagram and it appears the decomp controller could be removed and jumped fairly easily.

The GY wire from the clutch lever sw just takes a low amp voltage from the starter switch through the clutch safety switch.  That wire could be connected to the BlkY wire to the starter relay.

The BlkR wire to the decomp solenoid could be disconnected since it doesn't do anything.  Ditto for the RW wire supplying 12V from the fuse.

The BlkW wire is just a ground, so it can be dispensed with as well.

So it seems if I just disconnect all the wires and jump the terminals in the plug that would connect the GY wire to the BlkY wire, things should be peachy.

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/25/12 at 20:47:31

I've wired a lot of bikes and it's better to remove what you don't need rather than starting from scratch.  

I answered your queston about the sidestand circuit in your other post, which you might have missed. To repeat:  

You can remove the sidestand switch and join the two wires to make a constant ground.

Or, you can then get rid of those two wires and the sidestand relay, as they are no longer needed. At the relay connect the wires going to the #3 (orange/blue) and #4 (orange) terminals. Remove the unused wires going to the #1 (green) and #2 (orange) terminals.  

Next you can remove the sidestand diode. It is part of the sidestand ignition-lock-out (or “interlock”) system which is no longer functional as you’ve removed the sidestand switch. Connect the wire that goes to the neutral switch (blue) to the wire going to the neutral indicator light (not sure of color). The third wire (orange?) is part of the sidestand switch/relay circuit and can be eliminated.  

Gyrobob wrote on 01/25/12 at 09:21:58:
After some low-productivity times, the production line for Double-RYCA build is probably going to get moving again.  The next order of business is the electrical system.  I have all the plugs and wires identified, labeled, and in their approximate positions.

For a 2002 Savage being RYCA-ized, is there something tidy to do with these items?
-- Decompression solenoid controller
-- Side stand relay -- take it off?
-- Side stand diode -- remove it?  leave it wired in?
-- Side stand switch -- remove it? jump the terminals in the connector?

My understanding is that for most RYCA builds, these things just stay on the bike and are taped off and hidden. (Sbaugz gave me that info) 

Wouldn't it be tidier, though, if they could be removed, and the wiring "adjusted" somewhat so their removal would allow normal operation of the rest of the electrical system.

I half way considered using one of the hugely simplified home-built wiring systems archived here, but that would take a lot longer and with my luck I'd have to spend days sorting it out after installing it.

Anyway, if any of you have ideas about how to tidy things up electrically, without a large increase in time required, I'd like to know about them.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 01/26/12 at 05:07:02

Wombat, yes I saw your post in another thread.  Thanks.  I'll use that info.

What do you think about these mods to take the decomp controller out of the circuitry:

The GY wire from the clutch lever sw just takes a low amp voltage from the starter switch through the clutch safety switch.  That wire could be connected to the BlkY wire to the starter relay.

The BlkR wire to the decomp solenoid could be disconnected since it doesn't do anything.  Ditto for the RW wire supplying 12V from the fuse.

The BlkW wire is just a ground, so it can be dispensed with as well.

So it seems if I just disconnect all the wires and jump the terminals in the plug that would connect the GY wire to the BlkY wire, things should be peachy.

« Last Edit: 01/26/12 at 06:07:41 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 01/27/12 at 18:36:03

RYCA surmises this proposed mod to remove the decomp controller will work.  Are they right?

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/28/12 at 10:21:38

Not sure if this is correct. I have it all figured out but can not get to the info for a few days. I'll be in touch.

Gyrobob wrote on 01/27/12 at 18:36:03:
RYCA surmises this proposed mod to remove the decomp controller will work.  Are they right?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 02/01/12 at 06:33:09

I'm going to go ahead and make this mod.  No one has pointed out any potential problems.

I received a couple of PMs saying it would work.  RYCA said they see nothing wrong with it.  Dave even suggested I take out all the wiring to and from the decomp controller,... sounds like an even better (though more work) solution.

The least amount of work would seem to be just unplugging the big lump of decomp controller and inserting a jumper in the plug.

« Last Edit: 02/01/12 at 17:45:43 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 02/01/12 at 17:47:49

It took about 5 minutes to make this jumper and insert it in the decompression controller plug.

Now I have to decide if I should go with this, or slow down and do the better mod Dave suggests.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 02/02/12 at 07:12:27

I just temporarily wired up the power and starter circuits to do a preliminary check.  The ignition and lights are not hooked up.

I clamped the clutch lever to the pulled in position.

I jumped the sidestand relay connectors in the green plug that used to hook up to the sidestand switch.

When I turned the ignition sw to "on" you can hear a tiny click.  Then when I push the starter button, the starter engages and starts to turn the motor over.  I engaged the starter button for less than a second each time, just to verify the starter is trying to turn the motor over, which it is.

Now, what puzzles me is why the jumper in the sidestand switch plug has no effect.  The starter tries to crank the motor whether or not the sidestand plug is jumped.  I would have thought connecting the blkW wire to the Gr wire going to the sidestand switch plug would have made a difference.  The starter motor engages with those wired connected or separated.

What gives?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:57:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RYCA Decomp controller, s-stand relay/diode/switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.