Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question for those who make riding vids... (Read 57 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Question for those who make riding vids...
01/24/12 at 17:11:26

A question for Serobot, Al fron N.H. and others... do you use / recommend any special software for making/editing your videos? I just got an ebay special digital recorder that usb's right into the computer but my microsoft media seems very limited (and I'm making lots of mistakes I need to edit out) Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Question for those who make riding vids...
Reply #1 - 01/24/12 at 17:59:13

I use Windows Moviemaker from XP... It is actually quite versatile and simple to use... and free!...

Here's some more tips I put together and links to my vids...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1324188254
Wink...

Congratulations on your purchase,.. enjoy, and be safe...
Lookin' forward to viddy's!... Smiley...

Best tip for editing,... lay down a long riding shot,... then pick a song, and lay that down,... create a title page for the start and fade into the video...
Now, you know your length... start shortening the footage by cutting slow parts, and add any cutaways at somewhat even intervals... trim, and trim, until your video ends at the end of the song...
... and yer' done...
It gets better and easier with practice... (I was a video producer for 10+ yrs).. Wink...

« Last Edit: 01/24/12 at 22:16:46 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 01/24/12 at 18:10:08

I have a program on my laptop, don't remember what its called. My daughter has my laptop at the moment. I haven't tried windows moviemaker on  windows 7.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/24/12 at 18:23:05

what's a good cheap helmet cam???

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #4 - 01/24/12 at 20:28:26

Thanks for the tips 'bot. I have xp on one of the computers downstairs. I appreciate the editing tips also. I'd like to make some videos of favorite runs while I can still make 'em. That way if the knees ever go down for good at least I'll have a record of how I got here.  Wink  Good Lord willing, I'll be riding another 15-20 years then I'll be looking for one of those old guy carts...with a spoiler. Cool

Artist, this is what I bought, though the price seems to have gone up about $10 from what I paid. Figure an extra $10-$20 for a memory card but its a nice set up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110775786000?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

It uses a usb port and a memory card (not included) for direct download to my computer. So easy a Southpaw can use it. It comes with a handlebar mount which I have chosen to put on my turn signal post as my windshield was obstucting sight lines and I don't intend to remove that until spring. Ebay has plenty of options for these types of cameras. I chose this one for versatility. I can shoot my trips during the day and my future son in law, who makes custom snowboards, can put a helmet or armband adapter on and show off his latest creation that evening! My only complaint with this unit is the audio is very inconsistant, but I plan on doing videos to music anyway so that part didn't matter to me.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 01/24/12 at 20:52:44

I bought one almost identical to that last year and enjoyed using it, but never got a chance to run it for a good long ride. I found that when mounted on my helmet it got the smoothest picture quality and the videos had more character since you could see what I was looking at.

I tend to always watch the "Gold Box" sales that Amazon has and just before Thanksgiving they had a killer sale on the ContourHD camera that I couldn't pass up. If I remember right, I think I picked it up for about $80 and it's sitting in my closet waiting for me to get it out and use it this next year.

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-1300-ContourHD-Helmet-Camera/dp/B002QGSYZ4/ref=...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/24/12 at 22:07:33

LostArtist wrote on 01/24/12 at 18:23:05:
what's a good cheap helmet cam???

Price/quality seem to matter very little on ridecams... don't pay more than you're willing to lose...
A Go-Pro mounts well, and gives a good image, but they are very wide angle, ... a wide angle lens's will smooth the bumps and ruts, but also make a very curvy road look relatively straight... and Go-Pro's are pricey... $100 to $300...   24mm or less...
Cheapie, keyring cams can go for $3.00 + flash card and still give a good image, not so wide angle,.. curves look realistic, but very bumpy video... $15 to $20 total cost... 35mm to 40mm... (guessing)...
My best shots come from my still camera,.. set on video mode... (not too bumpy, but still shows curves).. . $100 to $150... 28mm...
You will get smoother video from a helmet mount, than a bike mount... (your body is a shock absorber.)...
Any camera can be mounted on a helmet with a little ingenuity and duct tape...
You need 4 to 8 gigs of flash memory, to give 1/2 hr to 1hr of descent video,..
...audio will always be boogered by wind noise if you go over 30mph...
... and a camera lens equal to 24 to 36mm (on a 35mm camera) ... less than 24mm will be very smooth, but everything looks bent and curves look straight... more than 36 mm and road bumps jar the image like crazy...
28mm to 32mm is about perfect.... if you can helmet mount that,.. it will look great...

In other words,.. it's all about the millimetre of the lens angle, how you mount the camera... on your body, is always better than on the bike... and wider angle lens, is smoother on bumps and vibrations than narrower lens's...

Note.. shooting video on a bike is distracting... it's tapping your head, and rubbing your tummy...,
Be safe... you can edit out your camera boo-boo's, but not your riding boo-boo's...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 01/25/12 at 03:04:31

speaking of Riding vids, there are a few excellent motorcycle Vloggers on You Tube from up here in my neck of the woods (Newfoundland) ... go check out Darkflight, NLRider2012 and NLRiderswife ... those 3 have put together some incredible stuff ... 808YouTube (from Hawaii) is good too!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:36:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Question for those who make riding vids...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.