Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chain conversion and chain length (Read 475 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Chain conversion and chain length
Reply #15 - 01/27/12 at 11:15:07

Any of the gear ratios mentioned in the thread effectively puts you back in the 5th gear pre-loss ball park.   5th gear really isn't a big change anyway.

If you want to work on your 5th gear shifter problem without splitting your cases, take off the front sprocket cover on your bike and look at what's there.

There is a little bitty "you can get to it" shifter sprag gearbox that might just possibly have a solution to your problem, in concert with a mis-adjusted shift rod that is.

Once you have taken it apart, cleaned it and re-greased it and understood it (and also manually checked all your shifter drum positions to see what's up inside the gear case if that is indeed your problem) then you should be ready to do whatever it is you are gonna do.

Note:  you have to take this cover off to put on your front sprocket anyway, so it is no loss of effort to do the sprag box check.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/11/12 at 07:41:29

Savage_Rob wrote on 01/25/12 at 12:16:26:
I find the chain conversion interesting.  What advantages do y'all see in using chain instead of belt (aside from aesthetics)?

The guy who's doing my chain conversion does a lot of chain conversions on belt drive Harley's (for 10 years now). He swears that there is a significant horsepower gain from any chain conversion; 10% I think he said? But don't quote me on that, I may be mis-remembering.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the softness and stretch of the belt; the chain gives a much snappier throttle response, but I haven't ridden a Savage both ways, so I can't actually say from personal experience yet...

IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #17 - 02/11/12 at 20:53:53

SurfJunkie wrote on 01/25/12 at 15:39:17:
Savage_Rob wrote on 01/25/12 at 12:16:26:
I find the chain conversion interesting.  What advantages do y'all see in using chain instead of belt (aside from aesthetics)?

The fact that you can re-gear to whatever you want is likely the #1.

Within limits, this is true.  Keep in mind that because of chain/swingarm clearance issues, you'll probably not be able to go below an 18 tooth front unless you significantly reprofile the swingarm's left front section, around the top half of the swingarm pivot.  To accommodate bigger rear sprockets, you may be able to make room using the rear axle adjustments, but also you'll need to take into account different chain lengths.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/12/12 at 06:07:39

From what I have read, the only clearance issues with the front sprocket have been for those of us doing RYCA conversions or otherwise using much taller rear shocks (12"-13") which changes the swingarm angle significantly.
If you go through the original chain conversion thread, which was written for a stock Savage, you'll see here is a whole list of possible sprocket size options and what the gearing changes are compared to the stock belt set-up.

IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/15/12 at 10:03:11

Well after all this time I've finally gotten to the point where I'm ready to order my chain.. I have ordered a 13f-43r.. When the money is right the frame is getting sent to get a hardtail.. Does anyone have a suggestion for chain length with the 13f 43r and 4" of stretch in the rear? Is there any simple equation to figure this out? Or do I have to wait for the frame to be made to measure it

IP Logged
Tehrifleman
YaBB Newbies

Savage: It's like
half of a Harley!

Montana
Reply #20 - 02/20/12 at 00:05:06

I'll never have a chain again. After my first belt drive, I was done with cleaning chain, greasing chain, and washing chain grease off of other parts forever.   Grin

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 04/12/12 at 12:54:49

Where did you get the sprockets?

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #22 - 04/13/12 at 01:47:18

il67bp wrote on 02/15/12 at 10:03:11:
Well after all this time I've finally gotten to the point where I'm ready to order my chain.. I have ordered a 13f-43r.. When the money is right the frame is getting sent to get a hardtail.. Does anyone have a suggestion for chain length with the 13f 43r and 4" of stretch in the rear? Is there any simple equation to figure this out? Or do I have to wait for the frame to be made to measure it

Huh

The OEM belt final drive ratio is roughly 3:1; with your 13:43 you stand at 3.3:1

In other words, your new final drive ratio is 10% shorter than the already short OEM 3:1.

This means you will accellerate faster from a standstill but cruise at a 10% lower speed at the same rpm.

Are you sure that's what you wanted ?  Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #23 - 04/13/12 at 05:46:04

Cavi Mike wrote on 04/12/12 at 12:54:49:
Where did you get the sprockets?

google "jt sprockets"

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print