Send Topic Print
Ethanol Gasoline? (Read 159 times)
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ethanol Gasoline?
01/22/12 at 17:18:52

Here in Denver there are a few petrol stations that cater to the custom car and moto crowds by offering non-ethanol gasoline.  I'm wondering if you motorheads think it's much worth using non-eth petrol for the LS650, especially after the motor has been hopped up with Lancer cam and carb and ported/polished heads.

Supposedly, all vehicles manufactured after 2001 are rated to safely use E10 gasoline, despite ethanol's inferiority to clear gasoline.  Here in the USA the government has lately been pushing to increase to E15, and this makes me a bit nervous for carbureted vehicles, especially motorcycles.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Ethanol Gasoline?
Reply #1 - 01/22/12 at 17:30:09

I'd only bother if you are going over 10 to 1 compression... otherwise, you're just burning cash...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 01/22/12 at 22:27:21

Serow, I buy non ethanol from a guy who says the difference in mileage makes the difference in price pretty much a wash. He also sells unleaded, so it's all the same to him. I didn't even look at the prices the last time I purchased, and I haven't done mileage testing on both. I just buy non eth for my car that sits a lot in winter and my mowers and saws. My 1986 C20 454 has water in the gas cause I can't get 93 octane non ethanol and it sits a lot with half full tanks. Can't afford to buy 70 gallons at once.  Undecided

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/23/12 at 05:53:49

Ethanol is bad stuff !  You lose about the same mileage as the % of ethanol. It causes the gas to absorb water. It causes rubber and plastic to deteriorate. It breaks down the oil film on the top of the cylinder causing more wear after a couple of months it will gum up your carb........ takes 1.5 gallons of gas to produce 1 gal. of ethanol.....etc its another SCAM!

There are several products on the market to counter all the bad this stuff does.  Do a little search on google.  I never buy the crap unless i have no choice!!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 01/25/12 at 05:05:06

Drifter wrote on 01/23/12 at 05:53:49:
Ethanol is bad stuff !  You lose about the same mileage as the % of ethanol. It causes the gas to absorb water. It causes rubber and plastic to deteriorate. It breaks down the oil film on the top of the cylinder causing more wear after a couple of months it will gum up your carb........ takes 1.5 gallons of gas to produce 1 gal. of ethanol.....etc its another SCAM!

There are several products on the market to counter all the bad this stuff does.  Do a little search on google.  I never buy the crap unless i have no choice!!  

Believe what you want to, but I have went out of my way the last year or more to actuall check for myself what if any damage or deposits or deterioration come from E10, and even after removing the bowls from carbs that didn't need removing, I never found any evedence to support anything you say,.....except maybe the lower MPG,.....which also is barely noticable.....in my experience.
The fact is, after burning todays E10 for several years, it leaves a carb in much cleaner condition than the leaded gas of yesteryear. Even after setting for months unused, the carbs are spotless, compared to the crusty mess left from leaded gas of years ago.

Where all the E10 horror stories come from I don't know, but in my experience, they sure don't come from reality.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/25/12 at 06:12:41

Its a know scientific fact ethanol absorbs water, has less energy than gas and it does break down the oil film on cylinders ,eats plastic and rubber parts! Many DR 650 owners replaced ethanol damaged vacuum petcocks with manual raptors mine included!

Go talk to a small engine repair man and ask his opinion from experience about ethanol fuel!!  

Startron, Lucas, STP, Red Line and several others sell products to help eliminate the know bad effects of ethanol.

There are apx 27 different blends of fuel being sold in the US im sure all react somewhat differently to ethanol in any case its bad stuff for carbed vehicles in Ohio and Florida.

My personal experience and many others it will gum up carbs if they set for a few months or in some cases a few weeks.  Like i said do a search  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/25/12 at 07:37:32

& IF you just happen to own a boat on the coast, your troubles are constant. The gas will develop layers & seperate. ITs a mess what those folks go thru. Food has gone up, because formerly food crop land was turned to alcohol creation, What a mistake all that was, & of course theres the hidden cost, Subsidies..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 01/26/12 at 05:15:17

There is nothing more dependable than doing your own search/research........ inside of a bunch of carbs,....much more dependable than reading websites,....that just love to blame every little fuel related problem onto the corn oil.

I did go to one small engine repair shop who always stressed the bad stuff form E10, who is also selling the hi$ non E10 gas, who is also getting rich selling additives,....guess what,... he couldn't show me even one carb that was gunked up from what he could have blamed onto E10, even if it wasn't at fault.
14 billion cars running on E10, and no problem for todays very sensitive fuel injections systems.

But like I said, believe what you want to,....its your torrment,....and money.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/26/12 at 05:31:19

The other thing i forgot to add it eats fiberglass, like justin said go to a marina and here the horror stories about gas tanks! Bad Stuff!!

A friend has an old Ossa which has a fiberglass tank, as alot of people do he filled the tank and went north for the summer. The reason to fill the tank is to stop rust in a metal tank.  Well when he returned his pretty ossa tank looked like a darn raisin from ethanol damage!  Bad Stuff!  Shocked Angry

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 01/26/12 at 05:59:54

ssm states up to 10% ethanol or up to 5% methanol

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/26/12 at 06:30:01

Unfortunately, at least in my area, everything says it may contain up to 10% ethanol.  Been considering getting the rebuild kit from Amal for my carb that has all ethanol resistant parts.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #11 - 01/26/12 at 13:55:06

e10 here in NC - slightly lower mileage yes - other problems no.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 01/27/12 at 04:59:38

We all know the horror stories of 30+ yrs ago when corn oil was sneeked in on us unexpectedly.
Fiberglass fuel tanks are 30 yrs old. Any rubber, etc etc that deteriourates from corn oil is 30 yrs old.
Good God Gerti, lay it to rest,...........or come up w/ some proof....pictures of damage,....deposits.....deterioration from corn oil in recent years.

In reality, it seems to me that even the earliest Savages were perdy much corn oil proof already.

Rich
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/27/12 at 12:59:43

I saw a recent show where the presenter talked about the Oil companies using H2O as an anti knock agent. With Ethanol holding up to 20% H2O in suspension you could add more water and less actual gas to your mix... but they still sell "GAS" by the gallon.

Things that make you go Hummmmmmmm?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:36:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ethanol Gasoline?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.