Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
No Budget Limit Weight Reduction and Horsepower (Read 322 times)
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No Budget Limit Weight Reduction and Horsepower
01/20/12 at 17:43:20

Hi fellas, noob here with his first post.  

Here's the plan for a brand new 2012 S40, with no practical budget limit!    Roll Eyes

Horsepower-- Lancer carburetor and stage 2 camshaft, ported and polished head, drag pipe, exhaust porting.  Am I missing anything?

Weight Reduction-- custom Raask-type drag pipe, Ryca battery box with side covers deleted, Shorai Power lightweight battery, alloy rims, passenger pegs deleted, chain conversion, belt guard deleted.  Am I missing anything?

Long-term Reliability-- Verslagen cam chain tensioner, raptor petcock.  Am I missing anything?

How much hp and torque do you motorheads think I can get at the rear wheel with this plan, and do you think it's possible to reduce the curb weight to 350lbs with this plan?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: No Budget Limit Weight Reduction and Horsepowe
Reply #1 - 01/20/12 at 17:59:34

No budget limit?...
Buy a Ducati and stick a Boulevard badge on it... Grin...

Seriously,.. you might have the wrong bike..
You can get under 350lbs easy,.. but, if you want more than 40hp and still reliable, this bike ain't it..
I wouldn't sink that much money in a bike just to gain 8 or 10hp...
You can get 3 or 4hp gain for $30... past that, and you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/20/12 at 18:51:35

If youre new to riding Id suggest you ride it a while. Wouldnt want to fix it all up just to make a noob mistake & scrape it up., Id at least break the engine in before I messed with it. Get it broken in, time some 0-60 stuff, 40 to 70 roll ons. See what it will do. Every time you make a change, test run it & se what you gained, or lost.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 01/20/12 at 18:52:42

Just an observation from an old guy who learned on Kawasaki H1s and H2s. There is a lot to be said for handling and usable horsepower in the range you use. The stock bike in 3rd or 4th gear can handle a wide range of tight curves and stay in the power band. I moved my bike from the lower band to the middle upper middle with a quiet Harley muffler and slight carb adjustment. Having said that, go for it. But ride it a couple of thousand miles first so you can tell if you're going forward not backward with your mods. Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/20/12 at 18:58:44

Serowbot wrote on 01/20/12 at 17:59:34:
No budget limit?...
Buy a Ducati and stick a Boulevard badge on it... Grin...

Seriously,.. you might have the wrong bike..
You can get under 350lbs easy,.. but, if you want more than 40hp and still reliable, this bike ain't it..
I wouldn't sink that much money in a bike just to gain 8 or 10hp...
You can get 3 or 4hp gain for $30... past that, and you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...

Roger that.  Lately I've become attracted to the LS650 because it's the antithesis of seemingly everything else in the industry.  It's dimensionally compact, super lightweight, carb'd...simple, simple, simple.  It doesn't require me to become a poser in Village People leather or Power Ranger neon--it's just an honest moto without pretense.  I've done the 800lb chopper with 150 foot lbs of torque, and I've done the Jedi mind-control electronics superbike schtick.  I've come to most enjoy one cylinder and a mantra of "less is more."  I've even been drooling over Cleveland Cyclewerks and Royal Enfield!

BTW, how much under 350lbs can I get?  Less is more!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/20/12 at 19:08:29

No budget limit?   Smiley

I would leave the belt and pulleys.  Drill the front pulley and it'll be lighter than chain.

Drill pulley cover

Titanium bolts everywhere.

Mikuni flat side pumper carb.

Professional flow bench port job.

Electrical... minimal wiring job, eliminate the safety's, bye bye starter relay (push button on starter)  bye bye decomp control/solenoid (lever op) mini sig's and tail light, minimal controls.

Aluminum fenders, shifter, pegs, battery box/cdi/rectifier mount.

the ryca battery box is slick, but way too much for the micro battery.

do I hear 250 lbs?

Hey, BTW.... what the heck is your objective?

I also see progressive 440's or Orlin's in your future and either swap the front end with a sport bike or cartridge emulators and stiffer springs.

WWW   IP Logged
NicholasTanguma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/20/12 at 21:03:48

verslagen1 wrote on 01/20/12 at 19:08:29:
No budget limit?   Smiley

I would leave the belt and pulleys.  Drill the front pulley and it'll be lighter than chain.

Drill pulley cover

Titanium bolts everywhere.

Mikuni flat side pumper carb.

Professional flow bench port job.

Electrical... minimal wiring job, eliminate the safety's, bye bye starter relay (push button on starter)  bye bye decomp control/solenoid (lever op) mini sig's and tail light, minimal controls.

Aluminum fenders, shifter, pegs, battery box/cdi/rectifier mount.

the ryca battery box is slick, but way too much for the micro battery.

do I hear 250 lbs?

Hey, BTW.... what the heck is your objective?

I also see progressive 440's or Orlin's in your future and either swap the front end with a sport bike or cartridge emulators and stiffer springs.

The objective is to maintain the S40 aesthetic while making as much reliable horsepower/torque as possible, and while becoming as lightweight as possible.  

Usually I'm all about every mod possible, so that a motorcycle is barely even recognizable as its former factory self; however, the LS650 is one of the few motorcycles that I actually like as a stock look.  So, the stock front end, fenders, fender rails, risers/bars/switch housings, and head/tail/turn lights must remain.  

Also, I'm aware the Ryca box is sized for the stock battery, but the Ryca box is also part of the aesthetic for which I've developed an affinity, so I'm thinking it will probably remain on my list.  Unless you have a quite good reason it's not compatible with the Shorai unit?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/20/12 at 21:55:27

NicholasTanguma wrote on 01/20/12 at 21:03:48:
Also, I'm aware the Ryca box is sized for the stock battery, but the Ryca box is also part of the aesthetic for which I've developed an affinity, so I'm thinking it will probably remain on my list.  Unless you have a quite good reason it's not compatible with the Shorai unit?

You'll have to tie the battery down in there.  It will be like tossing a weiner down a hallway.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 01/21/12 at 05:35:38

You're missing pull that stock air box and throw on a cone air filter, preferably with an elbow air tube face into the wind...

Oh yeah, and Slick Chics super charger kit Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #9 - 01/21/12 at 07:01:50

1) Pack money in box. 2) Secure box of money to bike. 3) Ride to Slick Chick's. 4) Tell em you want the absolute top of line treatment on bike. 5) Give em 90 days. 6) Refill money box as needed. 7) Have fun!

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #10 - 01/21/12 at 07:04:31

lukeduck wrote on 01/21/12 at 07:01:50:
1) Pack money in box. 2) Secure box of money to bike. 3) Ride to Slick Chick's. 4) Tell em you want the absolute top of line treatment on bike. 5) Give em 90 days. 6) Refill money box as needed. 7) Have fun!

+1  Cheesy

IP Logged
kernel ken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loveland Ohio
Reply #11 - 01/24/12 at 09:40:01

Sometimes we do things because we want to, not because it makes economic sense. If everything had to be practical and make sense, most of the things you read about here would never get done.

I suggest that you put the bike on a diet and see how it performs before you do any engine mods. You said you liked to looks of the stock bike and want to maintain the S40 aesthetic. But if you’re serious about removing weight from the bike and cost being no object, here are some weight reduction thoughts…

Carbon fiber wheels. They will need to be modified before they’ll fit, but, cost is no object. You’ll save a couple pounds per wheel.

With the carbon fiber wheels you will be able to switch to tubeless tires. More weight savings per wheel.

Carbon fiber or fiberglass fenders, front and rear.

Fiberglass or plastic fuel tank.

Small LED turn signals front and rear.

Electronic instrument to replace the speedometer. The Veypor unit also includes a tach in one package.

Replace the stock muffler with a megaphone or shorty muffler. The one in the Slick Chics You Tube looked light and really cool.

Replace the stock battery with a lithium ion battery.

Verslagen 1’s suggestions for weight reduction are all good ones.

I would guestimate the above mods will pull a good 25 pounds off the overall weight.

Don’t forget there are big bore pistons available that will allow the displacement to be taken to almost 700cc.

This is an interesting project.  Be sure to post your mods and the results.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/24/12 at 11:47:10

carbon fiber.... schwing!!!

lbs Front Rear
Blackstone Tek (BST) Carbon fiber 5.5 10.38
Suzuki Stock Cast Aluminum        10.28 16.8

And that not the even the savage steel wheels.

WWW   IP Logged
kernel ken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loveland Ohio
Reply #13 - 01/24/12 at 12:24:16

Here's an additional weight reduction technique...Those wheels are just $3499.00 each. That'll make your wallet quite a bit lighter so you're saving even more weight.

These can be purchased in Dayton Ohio, just a few miles North of me. Be glad to pick up a set  for you  Wink

Hey, this doesn't have to make sense, it's just fun to think about!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 01/24/12 at 13:39:24

Don't forget the Flux Capacitor.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:29:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Budget Limit Weight Reduction and Horsepower

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.