Tires, tires, tires... (Read 333 times)
Tinfoil-Jim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Just outside of Stillwater, Ok
Tires, tires, tires...
01/19/12 at 15:01:55

I know that this has probably been beaten half to death by now, but I did a search and came up short.  Now to ask and get banned!! LOL

On Monday the back tire on my 02 Savage let go and left me stranded on the side of the highway.  The culprit tire is a 7600+ mile IDC.  Now after doing some research on here and other sites (which has left me still shaking my head), I must ask the age old question.  I have my eye on a pair of tires, both Dunlops (don't shoot me).  One is the D404 and the other is the K555.  Now the K555 is the exact size replacement that the IDC is on the bike now, 140/80-15.  The D404 is a 140/90-15, 4% larger.  My question is, which one is better?  The K555 is on average $15 more than the D404.  Now money is really tight in my house right now as I am using the bike to find another job (it gets better gas mileage than my car does).  And if that were not bad enough, I have to get this passed by the War Dept. so the funds can be released.  Metzelers are out, way out of the price range, wifes orders, so that leaves the Dunlops, Pirellis, or ones that I have never heard of before.  Please don't flame the newb, just throw me a bone!

Thanks in advance.

Jim B Cheesy .

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Tires, tires, tires...
Reply #1 - 01/19/12 at 15:28:44

There are plenty of good tires out there for a reasonable price.If you're looking for inexpensive,but a decent tire,try Kenda's.Check motorcycle tire superstore(or something like that)online.

LET THE TIRE WARS BEGIN............... Grin

After this calms down...ask about oil. Roll Eyes

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/19/12 at 15:33:40

Tires are a reasonable enough topic.

Since they wear out periodically and I am looking to need one next summer or fall please do go ahead and spot a good deal for all of us.

Last time I bought a bike tire Sluggo had spotted a really good sale on Dunlop CruiseMax tires on Superstore ($45 a tire).

Go find us all another really good "buy it and hold it" tire deal.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/19/12 at 16:08:17

How many miles do ride per year?...
Less than 4k?...  Kenda's or Shinko's...
4 to 8k?.. Dunlop's or Perelli's...
8k+ ?... Metzler's..

I just put a Shinko 712 140/90-15 on mine... good bang for the buck tire...
Feels stickier than my old Dunlop 404, and way better than the stock IRC...
... a 140/90-15 will correct your speedo error almost perfect... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #4 - 01/19/12 at 16:22:41

Im a me 880 guy my self. do it right the first time...

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 01/19/12 at 16:31:33

I did the Dunlop 491s and have had no problems other than needing to use slightly higher shocks to give the mounting bolts inside the rear fender enough room.  This is only an issue with saddlebag supports installed though... and no issue at all now that I have 12.5" Progressives on her.  From everything I've heard, I'd be tempted to give the ME 880s a try next round though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Tinfoil-Jim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Just outside of Stillwater, Ok
Reply #6 - 01/19/12 at 18:23:20

So far, Bikebandit.com is in the lead with the cheapest name brand tires.  I have looked at 5 different sites and they have the best prices so far.  But I need to call bikebandit tomorrow and ask them if I can run a tube in a tubeless tire.  That is, unless anyone here knows that answer.

Again, thanks in advance.

Jim B Cheesy .

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/19/12 at 19:47:10

yes you can

WWW   IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #8 - 01/20/12 at 00:45:35

When I bought my Savage, it was fitted with an oversized rear Dunlop that rubbed on a fender bolt. I don't remember the tire specs, sorry. Only reason I mention it, is because be conscious of larger rear tire sizes.  Cool

As for which tire to choose, I splurged and went with the Metzler 880s due to their reputation of their performance, and by performance, I mean what would be the most forgiving if I accidentally asked for a bit more traction than what the tires were willing to provide. I'm only a 2 year rider, and can't say if my theory is correct on that.

But I can say, that I noticed the Metzlers rode much more true and honest, carved better, and seem more sticky compared to the Dunlops I replaced. They have almost 4,000 miles on them and appear ready to take on another 4,000. I highly recommend them.

I also understand that when it comes to a budget, a price cap is a price cap, and it they are over that cap they aren't an option period. if they are within the cap, consider the potential slight addition to safety for your family and longer period between tire replacement. If not, I would go with the smaller sized Dunlop. Dunlops have a good rep and the smaller ones are more affordable. And honestly I can't say I've been in a position where the Metzlers kept me from going down where Dunlops would not have, really it's probably mostly mental and the performance thresholds are so close it doesn't matter unless you're a professional race rider.

But what do I know, I'm a greenhorn, good luck in your rubber search and there's my two cents.   Wink

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 01/20/12 at 05:31:26

The Metzelers MME 880 are a pair for $265.98 on Motorcyclesuperstore, free shipping...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/20/12 at 09:05:21

Brand depends upon your usage.

cheap tires will get you by. $60 for 5,000 miles

dunny's will give medium mileage.  $90 for 10,000 miles

metz will give max mileage.  $120 for 15 to 20,000 miles

You get what you pay for.
Cheap tires ride like crap, dunny's are average, metz are excellent.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 01/20/12 at 10:59:21

Serowbot, Is your tire H or V rated? I was looking at Shinkos on your recommendation. I found the 230 I believe, comes in V service rating. If this is so that could account for the sticky feel and good handling. Most people call it a speed rating when it is in fact a performance rating. V rated tires usually have a "sticky" compound with nylon bands over the circumference to keep it from becoming egg shaped at very high speeds. They USUALLY don't last as long as tires with lower performance ratings, but do give better handling. My vote for Tinfoil is for the K555s. I have run one for a long distance and like it. Putting on a Metzeler as soon as I get time/weather aligned. Have a friend who gets 10,000 miles from K555s omn a Magna 750. He rides like we all should.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 01/20/12 at 12:03:19

Shinko 712's a H rated,.. They feel stickier than the Dunlop 404's I had before...
Mileage wise,.. from what I've read, they are similar to the 404's, but cost less...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #13 - 01/20/12 at 12:26:00

I guess that I am more in line with Serowbot's line of thinking.  Most of the comments are about price, mileage, and handling.  While all of those are important factors in selecting the right tire for you, they are not the only factors that you should consider.

An important factor should be how many miles you ride a year.  If you only ride 2000 or 3000 miles a year, you really shouldn't buy a 20,000 mile tire.  The sidewalls will be cracked and unsafe long before the tread wears out.  (You see this all the time on bikes for sale where they only have a couple of thousand miles on them and are six or seven years old.)  I like the Metzler because I ride 15,000-20,000 miles a year on average, and it is nice to only have to have one set of tires a year put on the bike.  Serowbot likes the Shinkos because he only puts 4,0000-5,000 miles a year on his bike.  Once again, it is one set of tires a year.

Another important factor is the weather where you live and ride.  Here in Tucson, we get a lot of really hot weather, and if the bike is not in a garage, the heat eats the tires (and kills the batteries.) Of course, really cold weather also is very hard on rubber.  We can't all live in Southern California.  So,  you should consider how long you can have a tire before the weather gets it, not the tread.  

As a general rule, I prefer to change tires and least once a year, but then I am rather anal about tires, brake pads, and oil (no, not the brand, the frequency of oil changes.)

Just my 3 1/2 cents

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 01/20/12 at 13:46:55

I've had tires that were 20 years old,when I sold a Suzuki gr 650,The guy that bought it put on 3000 miles before he wore than out.They were bridgestones tires,I now use Pirelli 66,A tire that handles really good and also improves the ride a lot.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:27:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tires, tires, tires...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.