Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lights on, starter won't fire, bike won't start (Read 113 times)
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
lights on, starter won't fire, bike won't start
01/18/12 at 19:29:58

so, I've looked around the site but having trouble finding someone with this specific problem:

bike started fine this morning, but after I stopped off at the store on my way to work, it wouldn't start. lights turned on, neutral light on, but starter would not fire. no clicking, no nothing.

also, while messing with it trying to get it to go, with clutch in, i couldn't get it out of neutral. it just wouldn't switch gears up or down. after messing with it a bit, it did change into first, and then bike started.

just tried it again, had same exact problem, and bike did start once I got it to first.

(not sure if this is relevant, but the front left signal light was off the first few minuts of my ride the other day, and magically came back on by itself)

wire problem?

thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: lights on, starter won't fire, bike won't star
Reply #1 - 01/18/12 at 20:15:28

1st try all your safety's, clutch in, neutral, kickstand up.

Then I'd make sure the battery is all charged up.

next short out the clutch safety, you can pull the terminals of the switch on the clutch and put a wire between the two.

And you can do the same with the kickstand safety, 2 wire connector under the seat, green, pull it apart and put a wire between the 2.

I suspect wiring, but it's good to check the easy things before you tear into it.  possible short between clutch safety and turn signal.  Or it maybe a coincidence, but look for a break in the headlight.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/18/12 at 21:52:00

Theres a wire on the decomp timer that you can put 12 volts on that WILL spin that starter if the starter is good & the battery is alive AND the decomp timer is okay. YOu can even have the key in your pocket,,
Make sure its in neutral or have the clutch in,,

Now you wanna know Which wire, dont you? Im so sorry, Ive forgotten, maybe one of these guys can remember.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #3 - 01/19/12 at 07:12:41

actually justin, I'm just wondering what the decomp timer is? ha! (newbie!)

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 01/19/12 at 07:29:48

skipkb wrote on 01/19/12 at 07:12:41:
actually justin, I'm just wondering what the decomp timer is? ha! (newbie!)

short story: it is the thing that first goes *click* when you want to start your bike

long story: it opens one of the valves on the engine when the starter is engaged so that the engine is easier for the starter to turn over. the timer part is all about when it kicks in and for how long.

location story: under  the tank (you'll have to have the tank off) on the right side you'll see a short fat black cylinder, maybe 2" in diameter and an inch wide. that is the solenoid. it actuates a lever that pulls up on the cable do-hickey on the opposite side of the bike mounted on the head of the engine.

Though, right now, I'm leaning towards a safety switch issue on the kickstand/clutch, a brain fart (we all have those days...), or a loose connection somewhere. If you're going to take off the seat and tank, might as well make sure all the terminals have a decent connection and they aren't starting to work themselves apart.

I don't know how much of a newbie you are, but sometimes it helps rolling the bike forward/backward a foot or so while lightly touching the shift lever to get the bike in neutral. for first, on our bikes, sometimes you have to let the clutch out and pull it back in again too.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 01/19/12 at 08:14:55

How about the big red button?

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #6 - 01/19/12 at 09:52:12

The big red switch. Them suckers have bit my butt so many times it ain't funny (you think I'd learn).

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 01/19/12 at 14:45:17

skipkb wrote on 01/19/12 at 14:33:09:
I'm having a bit of a time trying to narrow down exactly what piece it is I need from bikebandit... sigh. Feel free to send a link my way!!

(and again, best site on the internet. thanks everyone!)

See item #18 (part #1101028)

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #8 - 01/19/12 at 14:51:08

UPDATE:

So I took the handle apart around "the big red button" and took the seat off. poked around a bit, didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Put everything back together, push started it, and brought it to the shop only for him to look at it for 10 seconds and say "clutch switch"

i was lookin everywhere but the right spot... duh.

if you held the starter button down and slowly squeezed in the clutch, you could find just the right spot to get the starter to fire, and bike started right up.

he unplugged the wires going into the clutch switch to check them out, and since he has plugged them back in it has started up everytime without a hitch. so, i guess i just needed to blow on some wires?

Anyways, the part is only $10 on bikebandit, so I'll get a new one anyways for safe measure.

Now if only I had the time and money to fix the dozen other small issues the mechanic was kind enough to point out to me  Tongue

IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #9 - 01/19/12 at 14:51:56

got it! thanks rob!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/19/12 at 16:26:25

No problem.  Just replaced mine and I found one thing you may want to pay attention to. This link shows a new microswitch.  The circled tab slides into a slot in the clutch handle/hinge housing.  It slides in to the right and out to the left.  On mine, it was necessary to remove the hinge pin/bolt and allow the lever to move slightly (as seen here) in order to slide the microswitch out.  This is, of course, after removing the single retainer screw.  I used blue threadlocker on mine when reattaching.  Be sure not to overtighten the screw or you will break your new switch.  It's really a 5-minute job if you already know how to get the tab out.  It took me 10 minutes because I fiddled with it a few minutes before removing the hinge pin/bolt.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/19/12 at 22:40:58

For future referrence, the decomp timer is a solid state thing under the front center of the seat. Starter switch puts 12V on it, it fires the decomp solenoid & fires the starter off at the same time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:25:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lights on, starter won't fire, bike won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.