Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Inflation and what to do about it (Read 770 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Inflation and what to do about it
Reply #45 - 01/25/12 at 15:27:04

Gyrobob wrote on 01/25/12 at 10:57:25:
Drifter wrote on 01/25/12 at 10:09:46:
Justin, +1

I will add to that the endless money and blood we have wasted on unnecessary wars!  Whats in the best interest of America should come before some little sand dune of a country in the mideast!

We would waste a whole lot less on unnecessary wars if the lamo liberals would get out of the way of using our own energy resources.  If we had access to ALL our oil in our own dirt, and offshore, we could be energy independent in 10 years, bring 90% of the troops home, and we could let the middle-easterners just nuke themselves to cinders and glass.

What unnecessary war did Obama start.

see Bill

see Bill pull out the pin

see Bill toss smoking grenade in a nice gentile lob motion

see Bill grin while waiting for explosion & smoke  ....

« Last Edit: 01/25/12 at 18:34:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #46 - 01/25/12 at 21:36:05

bill67 wrote on 01/25/12 at 15:27:04:
Gyrobob wrote on 01/25/12 at 10:57:25:
Drifter wrote on 01/25/12 at 10:09:46:
Justin, +1

I will add to that the endless money and blood we have wasted on unnecessary wars!  Whats in the best interest of America should come before some little sand dune of a country in the mideast!

We would waste a whole lot less on unnecessary wars if the lamo liberals would get out of the way of using our own energy resources.  If we had access to ALL our oil in our own dirt, and offshore, we could be energy independent in 10 years, bring 90% of the troops home, and we could let the middle-easterners just nuke themselves to cinders and glass.

What unnecessary war did Obama start.

see Bill

see Bill pull out the pin

see Bill toss smoking grenade in a nice gentile lob motion

see Bill grin while waiting for explosion & smoke  ....

He started the CLASS WAR(FARE)
Cranked it up when he started running for office last time.
YEP

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 01/27/12 at 12:42:44

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/17/12 at 23:35:39:

The value of your banked money will partially evaporate as it sits there and there is nothing you can do about it if you do not act VERY SOON to "buy something real before your dollars devalue even more."

Buy Guns and Booze...You can't go wrong and the value never drops

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #48 - 01/27/12 at 12:51:20

Hide the rum!

- Captain Jack Sparrow

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #49 - 01/28/12 at 11:03:11

Notice how hot survival food is now? More companies are forming that sell survival gear as well. Should tell us something.

I got my hours cut from full to part time from March to July 2011 when I went back to full time. Just got cut back to part time a couple of weeks ago. 25 hours as opposed to 40. I was taking home more money (even with the 40 hours) back in 1980.

I only buy what's on sale in the Supermarket. I won't pay $5 for a box of cereal, $4 for a dozen eggs or $4 for a pound of apples. Standing on line in the Foodtown on Thursday with a senior ahead of me. When the cashier rang her up the old lady said "$60 for just this?" I felt for her.

We have plenty of guns and ammo. In my income bracket firearms are not only affordable, but a sound investment. Not going to make money but if you buy right, they will hold their value.

Per the request of the OP, I'll avoid talking politics for this topic.

FSO
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 01/29/12 at 01:09:57

Talking politics just clouds the real top priority topic all up,  as no matter who holds the White House and Congress next time the pinch is still gonna come (it is unavoidable now).  

The topic we have to deal with now is "given the upcoming slab of road kill we have coming on our plates, what can we do to protect our families the best we can?"

So far, we have come up with getting your money out of dollars and into something real and get some durable food goods into your pantry and get yourself enough lead slinging gear to try to keep your neighbors from taking it away from you.

This sounds awful bleak, I know.   Denial is tempting, and it will be followed by lots of folks out there.

Me, I am considering spending some "excess" banked US dollars on a newer, very high gas mileage car.  

I just wish the choices were better right now as CAFE standards have blocked all the European 60 mpg diesels from coming into the USA.   40 mpg is the best you can buy right now apart from the expensive fancy battery hybrids which don't make it up to 50 mpg real world.

============

60 mpg cars are real, BTW -- being sold by the skidillions in Europe where diesel fuel is used now more that gasoline is used.

Our regulatory agencies need to pull their thumbs out of their butts and allow these diesel cars into the USA so we can afford to run a car in a few years from now.

http://www.hybridcars.com/environment/lusting-europe-illegal-high-mpg-cars-25...

« Last Edit: 01/29/12 at 05:44:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ham45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast Tennessee
Reply #51 - 01/29/12 at 04:41:36

While I was a contractor in Iraq some of the vehicles we used to drive were small compact Ford crew cab four cylinder diesel 4x4 pickups.  A couple of the guys expressed their desire to own one of them in the states seeing how they were virtually indestructible and got phenomenal fuel mileage.  But not to be, the trucks were not allowed into the states. They were very nice little trucks, don't recall where they were made, but it wasn't in the US I'm sure.  As a matter of fact very little of the parts or material we or any of the other trades worked with was made in the US.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 01/29/12 at 06:43:02

Our national economic problems have become so large that solutions require unimaginable changes.

I posted this on the TT but set aside the partisan politics for a moment with regards to how we got into position we are in and consider the consequences of this current day fact.

In his State of the Union, Obama proposed a 5 year program with a $10 billion dollar savings benefit. On the surface, sounds like a great deal. Cut $10 billion dollars in spending over 5 years by phasing out certain regulations. However, the US Government borrows the equivalent of $10 billion dollars for other programs and to service the debt every 53 HOURS. By Thursday day evening a couple days after his speech on Tuesday, we had already borrowed an amount equal to what we are now slapping ourselves on the back for taking 5 years to cut! Do you really think any elected officials are going to take the steps needed to turn this ship around? We are like the cruise ship heading towards the rocks and the Captain is screwing around in his cabin.

We borrow about $2 million dollars every minute. Vast numbers of our population pay no taxes. Government employment has actually increased during this recession. How can we stop the system we are in today where millions of citizen existences depend upon the handouts of Uncle Sam???

We can talk about buying guns, ammo and stocking up on food and water, but a widespread collapse of the US government and financial systems will snare us all. Someone a few pages back mentioned the speed at which the Great Depression hit and I think that’s worth remembering how quickly things can change.  Here’s some questions:

Are the majority of Americans in denial? Are we a tick of the clock away from widespread collapse? What really happens when the US dollar is no longer the global currency? What really happens when the US is no longer the shining city on a hill and the rest of the world turns to China for protection? If Iran shuts down the Straights, do we have the WILL to keep it open? What happens with 2 out of 5 members of the UN Security Council with veto power have a large  Muslim population and the other 2 are Russia and China? You don’t think that matters?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #53 - 01/29/12 at 06:43:29

Gold For Oil

28-01-2012

While no one was looking, India decided to ignore the embargo on Iran’s oil sales by buying directly with gold payments. Oil markets are stunned! This has the potential for totally collapsing the US economy and probably the entire western world economic system. Here is a DEBKAfile Exclusive Report:

India is the first buyer of Iranian oil to agree to pay for its purchases in gold instead of the US dollar, debkafile’s intelligence and Iranian sources report exclusively.  Those sources expect China to follow suit. India and China take about one million barrels per day, or 40 percent of Iran’s total exports of 2.5 million bpd. Both are superpowers in terms of gold assets.

By trading in gold, New Delhi and Beijing enable Tehran to bypass the upcoming freeze on its central bank’s assets and the oil embargo which the European Union’s foreign ministers agreed to impose Monday, Jan. 23. The EU currently buys around 20 percent of Iran’s oil exports.

The vast sums involved in these transactions are expected, furthermore, to boost the price of gold and depress the value of the dollar on world markets. (Read full article here)

The last phrase is the point. If oil goes off the dollar standard, the US loses one of its most important international positions. It is another result of the failure of the US Administration to  project strength. Weakness instead, has produced this crises and put us on the brink of economic chaos.

http://elishavision.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/gold-for-oil/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #54 - 01/29/12 at 07:39:47

The last phrase is the point. If oil goes off the dollar standard, the US loses one of its most important international positions. It is another result of the failure of the US Administration to  project strength. Weakness instead, has produced this crises and put us on the brink of economic chaos.

& we invaded Iraq after they said they wanted to stop taking dollars for oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #55 - 01/30/12 at 09:19:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/29/12 at 07:39:47:

& we invaded Iraq after they said they wanted to stop taking dollars for oil.

So true.

Iraq (Saddam Hussein) was selling oil for Euros, and others (Emirates) were getting ready to follow suit.

THAT is the reason the US invaded Iraq. I Iraq and the Emirates had got the process rolling, soon Azerbaidjan and Kazakhstan would have sold their Caspian oil for Euro.

Don't forget Kazakhstan and Azerbaidjan sell through Turkish pipelines, and what does Turkey want the most and hardest of all?
Join the European Union.

It all makes sense:
- Turkey in the EU means more and more Caspian oil goes through Turkey,
- all that oil is sold in Euros,
- more and more Arab states sell theior oil in Euros,
- the US Dollar plummets into oblivion.

Forget 9/11, GWB invaded Iraq for the reasons posted above.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #56 - 01/30/12 at 09:38:40

The Euro is in just as precarious a state as the US dollar,.. maybe more...
I don't see that replacing the dollar for oil trade...

Both the US and European economies are sorta' in the "To big to fail" category as currencies...
If either goes... the whole world will get a shake-up and have to adjust...
But,... getting into tangible assets won't help, if there's no one to buy them... Unless you are willing to give an ounce of gold for a loaf of bread, or accept a couple ounces for your house...

I just gotta' figure that if the sh*t really hits the fan, Europe and US will come out okay, because they still are the driving forces of the worlds economy...
"Sh*t rolls downhill"... it'll be the 3rd world economies that suffer...

yes, and it will be chaotic for a while here in the USA until a new currency (or more likely a re-valued existing US dollar) is established, based on gold or some very stable currency like the Swiss Kroner.   During the chaos period, a "real asset" will carry value over much better than US dollars in the bank will be able to do, since dollars in the bank is what will be re-valued.

« Last Edit: 01/30/12 at 11:05:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #57 - 01/30/12 at 10:57:14

Serowbot, the scary thing is that the Arabs are cutting completely to the chase now -- GOLD is what they are asking for now.

This is 3-4 times worse than what I started the thread over a few weeks ago, that was fueled by the Arab's "oil based currency" idea.   We have some oil, so we have some of that currency.   We have some silver, too.   We don't hold a lot of gold reserves and we don't mine any gold in this country to speak of.

You will see gold spike to over $2,000 an ounce immediately.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #58 - 01/30/12 at 16:40:08

When people loose confidence in the VALUE of paper currency, whether dollars or euro's or any other, the only things of value are those that have intrinsic value, like gold, silver, precious stones...rare minerals of the earth.  A few other things will have value as well, like salt or water or storable food; things that can keep you alive.
These are things you can trade or barter with.
That's why it takes more of any paper currency to buy them now as compared to years past.  
Have you wondered why 2 or 3 bags of food from the grocery store now costs about $100 now ? ?
Not very long ago it was just $40.  Mmmmm.
Yet the Fed. gov't said there was zero inflation for 3 consecutive years.
Yeah right..............

Discern the signs of the times and prepare yourself.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #59 - 01/30/12 at 19:59:19

That's because they measure inflation with food and energy excluded from the equation because they are considered too ”volatile”.  Anyone interested in truly measuring inflation's effects on the cost of living for real people would know that's wholly and completely buggered but these folks don't seem interested in a complete picture.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:26:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Inflation and what to do about it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.