Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Inflation and what to do about it (Read 770 times)
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Re: Inflation and what to do about it
Reply #30 - 01/23/12 at 15:51:10

We just gotta have faith. Overheard a conversation while having coffee last week that things will all be OK as soon as the corps. get reined in and all the rich folk start paying "their fair share" of taxes. Guess the current admin. has to get another 4 years---hold it. Gotta run just heard Wal Mart is having a big sale on 357 ammo---later.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #31 - 01/24/12 at 06:45:10

lukeduck wrote on 01/23/12 at 15:51:10:
We just gotta have faith. Overheard a conversation while having coffee last week that things will all be OK as soon as the corps. get reined in and all the rich folk start paying "their fair share" of taxes. Guess the current admin. has to get another 4 years---hold it. Gotta run just heard Wal Mart is having a big sale on 357 ammo---later.

You're just stocking up now?! Grin
With the rising prices of copper (brass) and lead over the years, I've been stocking up any time I come across a good sale.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #32 - 01/24/12 at 09:33:45

Oh no, just gotta keep up, you know rotate stock. Gota good stock of 9mm, 357, 12 ga. 00 and slug, 30-06, and even a couple thousand each 22lr and mag. Really hope I'll never need any of the stuff, but got it if it's needed. Soon as the wife retires I'm hoping to get out of So Cal. Don't think this is the place to be if things fall apart.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 01/24/12 at 11:04:46

should I start buying ammo even if I don't own a gun. . .  or are cigarettes better for this new barter system . . .

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 01/24/12 at 11:56:27

Cigarettes get stale pretty quick, don't they?   WWII surplus ammo still goes bang reliably, however the WW1 surplus stuff isn't so hot as they used mercury primers and they have a 20% failure rate now.   The brass also has nasty green corrosion spots and has gotten more brittle accordingly -- avoid WW1 surplus and avoid corroded brass if buying bulk surplus ammo.

Nobody knows how long modern primer compounds will last.   A long long time supposedly.

Large rifle primers, small pistol primers and some bulk surplus powder might be worth some dollars invested, after it calms down a bit the thrifty people that survive might support a local reloader barter type guy.     Shame that our government doesn't want you to be having that sort of stuff around, isn' it?

Now, has anybody got anything useful to say about hedging your banked money in some inflation resistant fashion?

----------- silly shite this is, we will all be dead en-mass before this sort of scenario will play out.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #35 - 01/24/12 at 14:05:31

OF, all kidding aside.
I have some but not all of my money in something called the Permanent Portfolio. Really saved my earnings when the bottom fell out of everything. It's a good long term fund.
I also have some dough in IPI (potash company) not doing great right now and I lost a chunk of change cuz I bought too early after they went public but my feeling is...everyone's gotta eat and the land can only support so much before the fertilizer industry is called upon to squeeze every last bit of grain from our overutilized soil...
just my 2 cents...no pun intended... Tongue

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #36 - 01/24/12 at 16:49:16

If you really believe we are going back to the middle ages,... buy salt...
.. hundred weight otta' do... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 01/24/12 at 19:27:10

I think we are gonna see some really nasty 10-15% level inflation, the dollar will survive but not necessarily as the international default currency like it is today.

We may well see the $5-7 a gallon gas before the end of next year, mebbe, as that is the biggest currency shift point that is on the table now.

When it is all over, we will be more in line with the world "nominal" wage levels and our manufacturing will begin to return to the USA, slowly.   Our standard of living will be greatly reduced by that time.

I don't think I will have to defend my measly stocks of pinto beans with hot lead -- but I may have to collapse in with other family members into one of the larger houses so we can afford gasoline and heating oil/gas when we are all on Uncle Sam's retirement "wages".

I remember putting a wood stove into my first 2 houses -- really, it helped the monthly bills a lot it did.    Wood stoves, etc may become part of our lives again.

Who knows?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 01/25/12 at 06:34:36

Oldfeller, everything i bought and sold in the past to make good money, land houses, stocks, cds, selling motorcycles no longer works so i cant help you....or me!  Sad    

My grandma told me stories of the great depression, one day they had money in the bank the next day the doors were locked and the people and money were long gone. That could easily happen again today. Yes we have insurance on the money but if several banks do this how long will it take to get it and what happens if the fund runs dry???   You will be just like my dear old granny,  really!!!!! pissed and broke!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 01/25/12 at 07:26:19

Back when the Savings & Loan stuff went down, people went to jail. Maybe not the ones at the very top, but certainly some very deserving people went to jail. This time,,?? No,,

I believe that the majority are allowing the "Normalcy Factor" to lull them onto simply believing things will work out. We've all seen dips & recoveries, dips & recoveries,, tho, no recovery in the last 40 years has lifted us back to the place we fell from. This time, if there IS a recovery at all, it will fail to restore us to where we were pre 2008 & if you recall, pre 2008 wasnt exactly the "easy to find a good paying job & live & have disposable income & save $$$" times of the 1960's.
Again, my G/pa had a 13 stool burger joint/snack bar in a grocery store in Houston. He ran it alone & closed only on Sunday. BUt, he paid the store a bit for being there, had a 2 B/R house which he added a B/R to, had a 2 car garage built, owned horses & leased the 40 acres adjoining so he could ride & he saved enough $$ to trade up in cars & buy himslef a little country store in Humble Texas.

So,, look at what a man with a good work ethic can accomplish today in comparison.

The point is, look at the DIRection we are headed in economically. Take Note of it. Prepare accordingly.

Now, WHY this is happening is a TT discussion, but that it IS happening is a purely economic point.

Also, remember that there has yet to be a fiat currency that Did Not Fail.

Consider that since 1913, when the Fed came into being, the purchasing power of the dollar has been eaten UP, but I can still but gasoline for less than 20 cents, as long as I use 2 old dimes.

I can buy a fine 3 piece suit for 60 dollars, as long as I use the very same currency we had in 1920,$20 gold coins, people Carried Gold Coins in their pockets,,think about how things have changed, & not for the better.
& change continues, & no one is changing the policies that are causing the changes, so, the direction WILL continue.

Only One Man who is in a position to influence policy BACK toward the way things were Will do it & thats Ron Paul.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 01/25/12 at 10:09:46

Justin, +1

I will add to that the endless money and blood we have wasted on unnecessary wars!  Whats in the best interest of America should come before some little sand dune of a country in the mideast!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #41 - 01/25/12 at 10:53:59

Since no one has a crystal clear crystal ball, the most conservative thing to do investment-wise, is to put your money in a diversified mix of investments.  For example, mine is 15% stock-based mut funds, 20% commodity funds, 20% muni bond funds, 20% TIPs based funds, 20% in TIPS, and the rest cash.  Those percentages are approximate and are about to be rebalanced next month.  This mix won't make a lot annually, but it won't lose much either if things go south.  At my age, I'm much more concerned about losing what I have, than building on it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #42 - 01/25/12 at 10:57:25

Drifter wrote on 01/25/12 at 10:09:46:
Justin, +1

I will add to that the endless money and blood we have wasted on unnecessary wars!  Whats in the best interest of America should come before some little sand dune of a country in the mideast!

We would waste a whole lot less on unnecessary wars if the lamo liberals would get out of the way of using our own energy resources.  If we had access to ALL our oil in our own dirt, and offshore, we could be energy independent in 10 years, bring 90% of the troops home, and we could let the middle-easterners just nuke themselves to cinders and glass.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #43 - 01/25/12 at 11:16:40

If things are gonna get as bad as you guys are predicting, then I'm not sure I want to be around for all that. I'm not really ambitious enough to plan for and worry about it that much. As far as ammo goes, I think one bullet will be enough. Then they can all fight over whatever I leave behind.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 01/25/12 at 12:25:18

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 01/25/12 at 11:16:40:
If things are gonna get as bad as you guys are predicting, then I'm not sure I want to be around for all that. I'm not really ambitious enough to plan for and worry about it that much. As far as ammo goes, I think one bullet will be enough. Then they can all fight over whatever I leave behind.

AL

+1

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:16:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Inflation and what to do about it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.