Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Inflation and what to do about it (Read 770 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Buying metal with paper
Reply #15 - 01/19/12 at 21:26:25

I live with my sister and brother in law on a 50 acre farm,we can grow enough to eat,+ chickens for meat and eggs,cow's for milk and meat.
You guys get hungry go eat your silver and gold coins,or come and see us I'm sure we can spare a little food ,maybe a whole chicken for a half pound of gold.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #16 - 01/20/12 at 01:39:10

Post-American World

This term refers to the rest of the world catching up, not that America is slumping below, though the recent economic down turn would give that intuition. What I mean is that some currency would have to eclipse the dollar in longevity and reliability to overtake it.

Bare in mind one of the common arguments is the growing Chinese economy. Ohh, very scary, it is indeed growing fast, at a faster clip than our own economy!

But you must consider size, it is easier to grow 20% of something that is worth 100 dollars is easier than growing something than it is to grow something that is 2.1% of 1,000 dollars. AKA, sure the Chinese economy is growing at a faster clip, comparatively to ITSELF. We grow at a slower pace because we are comparing it to a much larger economy. Food for thought. Especially when the Chinese are inflating their currency to a dangerous degree to makes their exports so competitive.

I'm not saying there is nothing to be feared, but be sure you read into the statistics and meanings behind things. Media inflates statistics and doesn't explain the meaning behind happenings to scare the audience and draw viewers. Nobody watches the 'this isn't good.. but not so bad" story compared to the 'you're about to lose all of your wealth' story.

That's NOT to say many Americans have worked VERY hard for the value they currently hold, and that is degrading by some percentage points. That is very frustrating, and I'm not about to say you should accept it because the rest of the world is catching up and many are trying to live the American way of life. It's a frustrating situation, I study Political Science currently in college, and even most scholars are tossed between taking the opinion that their loyal countrymen are losing value or taking the side of the growing international world.

As for the American debt, don't renew the High End Bush tax cuts, bring military contracting under control, and enact level headed paycheck taxes for Social Security and Medicaid and the debt will be back in control while being paid off in roughly 2 decades. Problem there is politicians. And problem with politicians is the system that elects them. Sorry... but if your a D or R our election system creates deadlock, and all congressmen have to vote for what favors the party, not reach agreements for what is better in the long run.

None the less in the end, may we find a viable solution. I have little hope in politics with the current system, but my hopes for the current situation and certainty we will still only have 1st world problems remains confident.  Cool

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #17 - 01/20/12 at 07:26:20

Capitalism is stumbling and it might fall down. Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 01/20/12 at 08:08:22

This belief that the Chinese have some sort of economic juggernaut going is a myth.  Of course, slave labor in prisons is quite helpful as is manually pegging your currency and stealing research instead of spending resources on your own.  Also, it's been recently discovered that they have massive internal debt as well.  Many of the infrastructure expansions (highways, bridges, etc.) begun in the past couple of decades are now lying incomplete and abandoned with contractors unpaid by the government for services already rendered, much less any required to complete these jobs.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Inflation and what to do about it
Reply #19 - 01/20/12 at 10:34:03

Please remember the warning about politics given up at the start of this thread.   If this thread turns into a "Tall Table" it will likely go away.

Capitalism still works fine, we are just suffering from a lack of jobs because we all want too many dollars per hour to work at a job.   If we "went down" to the going international labor rate, we would get the jobs back, but nobody in his right mind wants to work for $4-5 an hour, right?       not yet, anyway

=====================

I still haven't heard any new viable options on what to do to protect your families during the "whatever the heck it is" that is eating the value of the dollar.

What can you do to keep the purchasing value that currently exists in your bank account, understanding that doing nothing will net you another 25% loss in value within another couple of years?

Might I suggest that you spend the money on something you need long term, like a better car, if you happen to need one?

The car will be around in 10 years, which is about the time it takes to go through a full controlled inflationary cycle (assuming that is what we have going on ).  

The car will depreciate to nothing in 10 years, yes, so how about some land?   It won't depreciate near as bad as a car will.

Gold is way over valued, silver has come down from it its bubble peak, but is over valued as well.

The problem with intentionally inflating the international monetary standard is it takes everybody else's currency with it.   When the main players (China and the USA) do tit for tat on printing more money as they race each other to be the first one at the bottom of the cliff, then you got a world wide inflation that is bound to happen that no other single nation can do very much about.

Me, I understand hamburger, eggs and tires.  Within 2-3 years I won't earn enough to be able to buy them and my money in the bank won't be able to bridge my gap very well as it hasn't nearly kept up with the price rise in basic food and toilet paper.

Any ideas out there?

« Last Edit: 01/20/12 at 14:57:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 01/20/12 at 10:53:31

Additionally, I think the current value of precious metals is being driven by paranoid investment, and not inherent value...
I did invest some,.. 10 years ago, but have cashed out now...
Currently a much more risky investment...
Buy low, sell high...  and we're on a high... Huh...

If I had anything to invest right now,.. I'd invest in railroads...
They are future of the shipping industry...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 01/20/12 at 10:56:58

mick wrote on 01/19/12 at 21:26:25:
I live with my sister and brother in law on a 50 acre farm,we can grow enough to eat,+ chickens for meat and eggs,cow's for milk and meat.
You guys get hungry go eat your silver and gold coins,or come and see us I'm sure we can spare a little food ,maybe a whole chicken for a half pound of gold.

Mick do you have any of the chickens that lay the golden eggs.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 01/20/12 at 11:02:50

Have you considered investing in food and food production?

Have you considered investing in developing economies in Latin America and the Far East?

All investments are risky right now -- especially in a time of global economic upheaval and war.

Foreigners are investing in the USA, thinking maybe some of their money will come back to them in the end.   China is buying gold by the pallet load with their US dollars, thinking it will retain some of its purchase price, mebbe 3/4 of it long term.   Silver may retain half, so it isn't as good a deal as gold, perhaps, who knows?

Everybody has the same issue to deal with -- evaporation.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #23 - 01/20/12 at 11:17:00

Oldfeller, I've been dreading this for about two years. The problem is, I got my information from Glenn Beck, so I couldn't tell anybody. What he said over and over is coming true. Since I handle all the money in my family and do most of the shopping for groceries and gas, I can say it has risen about 25% here in Ms. Milk went from $2.39 to $4.39, honey, which is my luxury item now, went from $3.50 lb to over $6.00. Cereal around $1.75/ box. Remember when it was cheap to make stew and eat on it a few days? Stew meat is $5/lb. If you're on disability and WalMart is cutting hours on your wife, and you're paying attention, it becomes evident fairly quickly that something is going on. Last year the gov't said I needed help with my medicare and prescription bills. I said I didn't, but kept getting mail saying to fill this out and that. If you don't fill their crap out, you could lose disability. Got help for a year which put us earning more, so this year their taking away about $1200. Guess what...I'll be poor enough to get it next year. Yes, we are in deep trouble in this country and YES we will survive, but you kids who were given trophies for showing up and only learned that others are responsible for you are not gonna' like it.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 01/20/12 at 12:42:22

Yep, we old suckers have lived through it before and remember well how badly it sucks.

Beck was right, unfortunately.   Have you been stock-piling dry goods, canned stuff and other long lasting food like he recommended?

Pinto beans that were 89 cents, are now approaching $1.80 a 16oz bag.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 01/20/12 at 14:23:16

Libya, Iraq, Iran, none use the IMF, Own their own central bank, not associated with the globalists. Completely sovereign, & the Economic Hitman couldnt work his way in. Look that up, Understand.. they either sell you on debt to them or kill you,.
You cant pull economics away from politics,

Now, the Big Question is, how best to prepare for hard times, should you believe, as I believe, that we will see some very hard times in the near future.

Now, you may ask, WHY do you believe that? Well,, Ive watched a downward spiral of the economy & the living standard of Americans.
Ive seen nothing to indicate there is a reversal of direction in the near term. Given that there is a documentable decrease in the disposable income of Americans & an increase in national debt & continuing wars that expend lives & treasure & send us home sick & wounded people, I dont see anything that would indicate to me there is any reason to believe the trend is about to change. So? Whats next? More of the same, only worse. The notion that "We live in America, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, & we dont go hungry here " isnt based in a logical, rational assessment of the situation. That is an offshoot of the "Normalcy Factor" clouding the ability to judge events. Unless & until there is a REAL change in direction, not just tweaking the edges, we are headed for calamity. The Fed is at the heart of it. Foreign policy is a huge part. Our decision makers are making decisions that negatively impact all of us & have been doing sop for decades. WHY is a political & economically answered question that is impossible to answer fully regardless, & impractical to attempt to even pull the covers part way back here,

Okay, Now,m IF youre on board with thew idea that each household must prepare for hard times, then heres where I am.

YOu need food & water for at least 3 months. After 3 months, competition for resources will be minimized.
YOu need lead & brass & delivery systems to protect the food & water.
It would be super to have something other than paper money to use for trade during any upheaval,.
&, after the shakeup, if a family had some gold &/Or silver to use to trade in for the new currency, they would be immediately in the "more well off than the poor folk" group.
HIt a pawn shop, buy gold jewelry that has linked chains, the links will work, as long as you can show the carat,, IOW, save the latch to the end.  silver dimes & quarters , only a very few years were nickels made of anything worth having, so dodge nickels.
1982 & earlier pennies,,

A quality scale mite be a good idea. Firestarting stuff, water filters,
&, Flame ON!

A gas mask mite not be a bad idea, either.
The laws we have recently seen passed do not comfort me that my government loves me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 01/20/12 at 14:51:52

You mentioned the Arab central banking consortium -- what is the name of that currency they are pushing as the new international standard currency?

Water is a toughie -- bottled water by the pallet?

Or have a purification system good enough to use the drain water from the roof?

I don't think it will get that bad, but some water purification tablets are cheap enough to put "into a contingency chest".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 01/20/12 at 16:27:06

You mentioned the Arab central banking consortium -- what is the name of that currency they are pushing as the new international standard currency?

I was pointing out thsat each country that has "needed a good invasion" has been autonomous & not on the leash of the global elite bankers.

IDK anything about a proposed othoer currency, but each of the recently invaded & Iran have said they no longer want Dollars for their oil

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ham45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast Tennessee
Reply #28 - 01/21/12 at 05:27:52

This is an interesting topic,
If you would like to read more about it; Mark Steyn has written a really good book about this very topic, "After America: get ready for Armageddon"
and, Mark R Levin wrote one that's just as good; Ameritopia: the unmaking of America.  Look them up on Amazon and read the reviews.  The reviews are great entertainment in themselves, the conservatives love the books while the liberals hate them!

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 01/21/12 at 06:11:13

Oldfeller, yea land is cheap, the taxes on that land is not cheap and the insurance is not either, ohio raised my farm tax 200% this year.

I have had trouble with 3 different banks in the last 2 months, what little money i have is now burried in the back yard, no joke!  I have no trust in any bank anymore!!

Serowbot, yep my house is worth half, the dollar is worth half my investments are halved, Taxes on everything is up fuel and anything related to it is up......the 1% are fat and happy the middle class is getting flucked! Our countrys treasures have been pissed away on worthless wars and we are building for another one??? Fools we are!!

I have a survival mentality now,we have stored food medicine ammo and other basic needs. Be prepared folks  Remember those with guns will eat those without will not!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:25:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Inflation and what to do about it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.