Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Inflation and what to do about it (Read 770 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Inflation and what to do about it
01/17/12 at 23:35:39

This is a warning call to action for those who have been fence sitting on getting out of banked paper dollars and getting into metal or real estate or something "real" with at least some of your money.

The American dollar has been the international monetary standard for over 50 years.   Arab countries used to would not sell oil unless you paid them in dollars, Swiss franks or a darn few select other very good currencies.

America and France and others have lost their AAA currency rating recently because they have been printing more money than their economies can justify.   We all know the Euro is in turmoil as well.

The Arabs are now trying to create a new international oil currency that is backed by oil and they want you to buy their oil using it.

America's dollar and everyone else's currency will suddenly get realistically re-ranked very quickly if a new worldwide standard currency exists and is enforced by somebody who can enforce it.

If any other currency becomes the international monetary standard, prices in America could double-triple overnight for oil and other imports (and everything else like food that depends on oil or imports to grow/make).

Can you say "hyper-inflation" such as hit Argentina and England and Greece and France and .....

The value of your banked money will partially evaporate as it sits there and there is nothing you can do about it if you do not act VERY SOON to buy something real before your dollars devalue even more.

Now, discuss it some and see where you sit compared to the rest of everybody else.

Do not talk blame or politics or the thread will likely get cut/deleted.  Remember, this is and has been and is continuing to happen and no politician of any stripe has the guts to stop it ---- but instead what are YOU going to do to protect yourself and your family over the next few years?

Eggs hit $2.00 a dozen last week at the grocery store.

Hamburger is $4.59 a pound

« Last Edit: 01/20/12 at 10:49:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Buying metal with paper
Reply #1 - 01/18/12 at 03:49:59

Another consideration is if possible get out of debt so your devalued dollars will hopefully at least cover the cost of basic necessities.  

My goal in this area is to build a "paid for" self-sufficient structure in a rural area where food can be grown, so when the economic quake hits there is a better chance of making it through the harder times...at least as long as possible.
The writing is on the wall.  The world is in deep kimchi; massive debt; and the only way out is to "ADJUST" the worlds monetary system.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/18/12 at 05:39:04

Finally, I no longer feel all alone.
Food & water or fema camp
Protecting food & water is essential
Gold & silver jewellery can be hacked up
buying old coins, not collector coins, just what was in circulation prior to them taking the silver out.
If it takes $2.30 to buy a dime at the coin shop, ( & it did not long ago) that should be enough to tell anyone our currency is no longer worth much., It takes 23 times the money to buy what I could buy with a dime in 1964. In 71, when they went to the sandwich coins, I was working in a store. I had the chance to hold onto all kinds of those silver coins, but,, didnt. I tried, but was always too broke to keep them out of circulation.
Anyway, you dont need a lot of $$$ to get started. But gettin started is a good idea.

« Last Edit: 01/18/12 at 07:53:26 by justin_o_guy2 »  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/18/12 at 09:25:15

I'm already invested in real estate,... the value is down about 50%...
Value of cash is down about the same too...
Gold and silver are now over-priced..   think about why this is true -- and it will get much much worse shortly
Market investments are worse than Vegas...

Uhhh?.... Huh...

« Last Edit: 01/18/12 at 12:23:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/18/12 at 12:06:47

Serowbot, we are talking about a further additional drastic degradation to what the last not-quite-full-depression did to us.

This time will not be a rash of sharply falling prices for existing held assets (this is an adjustment, with the currency maintaining its value) like it was last time, it will be a hyperinflation that is based on a strongly diluted US currency.   It might get as bad as a currency revaluation.

IF the American dollar is not the world default currency standard, and the oil producing folks insist on getting paid in something else to buy oil, then we will have to trade diluted dollars for whatever that "oil currency" is called.    Or we don't buy oil ....  or fertilizer .... or plastics .....

Right now they estimate the US dollar is 25-30% diluted in currency trading right now and there are many countries with strong currencies don't want any more dollars at any currently offered price.  

Sorry, no sale.   Keep your bonds, thank you very much.

The Russians are chuckling at us right now, they have their oil and natural gas fields at full production and are a large net exporter of oil/gas energy.   They like the oil/gas based currency idea just fine.

We however, are in a no-win position as the Federal Reserve is still running the printing presses full speed ahead to pay for the interest our HUGE HUGE debt.

The only country who can get away with shite like that at all is the one who owns the default global currency -- and they can't get away with it for very long.    Such a situation tends to come to an abrupt end.

Nobody wants to buy our US bonds any more.   Not China, not anybody.   China is starting to get rid of the US dollars that they are holding ....

Danger --- danger is present that could lead to a devaluation.   It has in other countries who printed far less "base-less" paper than we have.

« Last Edit: 01/19/12 at 15:41:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/18/12 at 13:20:34

I have the solution !!!!

We will just go to war again.Its good business. Production for all things will spike sharply, and we will just simply take that countries Oil production once we destabilize their government and society.

Its really the only logical solution assuming no one wants to buy US bonds or anything relating to our currency or market.

Im sure the entire planet must realize by now that we are all tied together in a global market. Whatever damage they inflict upon the US by not purchasing will only hurt them and all other participating countries as a whole. We contribute far to much from a consumer perspective for ANY money hungry country to turn a blind eye.

What we are really witness to is the shrinking of the "great divergence" between western civilizations and asian civilizations. Property laws, currency, technology etc.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/18/12 at 15:33:05

yes, yes, live in fear. . .  

there ain't anything I can do to help this at all, I don't have the money to go out and buy gold and silver or land, so thanks for the panic attack JACK

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 01/18/12 at 16:48:34

Old people like us old codgers have money tied up in 401K plans that by and large are pre-tax plans (we can't take the money out of them until we retire unless we want to give Uncle Sam 25% as an early withdrawal penalty).   We have something, but are locked in by and large.

What liquid savings we have needs to go into something "real" ASAP before any bottoms fall out of anything.    This is all we can do right now.

Is this scary to you young people?   It should be -- we were young too last time we did this in what, 1972-78?  Tricky Dicky, Jimmy Carter and the gas shortages?    

Difference is that we had a net national debt measured in tens of billions, not tens of trillions.   I got out of school and couldn't get a job in my field for like the first 5-6 years after I got out of college.   We exited the silver standard completely during that period and the gov collected all the silver certificates out of circulation as the silver was worth 10-20 times what the paper certificates had printed on them.

Mild, compared to what may be headed our way this time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/18/12 at 21:47:04

If you really believe the $$$ & economy & society in general is about to hit th skids, the 401 K is not gonna be worth hoot after all that. A 25% hickey for early withdrawal leaves 75% to use now, as opposed to not squat later. Thats the way I see it, YMMV,, Im glad Im not the one who has to make the call & live with the consequences.

First you pay the income tax automatically withheld on the withdrawal amount (plus your current earnings for that year of course) which puts you up in the 30% level tax brackets.

Then you pay your 25% penalty.    

Ouch ....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 01/18/12 at 22:02:31

Wow

What this country needs (and will have) is a good "FALL-GUY".  

Property taxes will go up to the point no one will want anymore than nessary.

All those countrys where the family vechile is a 125 cc motorcycle with Dad, Mom, and three kid piled on it while pulling a trailer could happen here.    ( I'll be the one on the "GAS-HOG" Savage).
Funny to think about but could happen.  

I'd like to see us driving  Bio-Desiel  Bikes  and  fueling them soybean oil.  The oil producing countrys could try cooking with petro till they paid the price we want !

Things would turn-around perty quick !

Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 01/19/12 at 07:55:30

doom and gloom...not gonna happen. America is plenty strong. Worse case is, global economic collapse. Our country will still come out on top just because we have the best people.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 01/19/12 at 10:23:33

Bubba, ask you wife about the price of eggs, hamburger, etc.    Them printing presses keep running, these prices will continue to rise along with everything else.

Bought a tire lately?

Standard inflation is like putting a frog in a pan of cold water, then slowly turning the heat up.  The frog likes it at first, warm = good.   He just complains about it a bit later on when he starts to sweat good.

By the time the heat gets turned on full and the water gets ready to boil, the frog really can't do anything about it because his legs are jelly.

We are at the sweating stage now ....   we can still jump out of the pan with some of what we have.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 01/19/12 at 11:39:38

I just can't help but think of the old adage about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.  Let me preface the following by saying that I am no investment or tax professional and this is just my understanding as an interested lay person.  I'm certainly an amateur on investing (though I'm not sure many of the "professional fund managers" are any better) but I think gold and precious metals are in a bubble right now.  While it may be possible to capitalize on it before it bursts, you could wind up heavily underwater if you don't time it right and I just don't have faith in it personally.  I fear bonds and other cash equivalents are in for a long slog before they'll be generally good investments. I'll turn 50 this year so I still have a while before I can retire and it often seems that it's getting further away all the time.  I sometimes think that land might be the best investment as it seems to be the only thing they aren't making more of but the real estate world is still too unstable for my comfort and I haven't done enough research to invest anything if I came up with a surplus to invest.  For the time being, I'll stick with diversified stocks and a few mutual funds and hope for the best in the longer term.  This is primarily because a 401(k) or IRA has probable tax benefits that I don't otherwise get.  Also, I think that after age 59 1/2, there is no penalty for withdrawal from the 401(k) or IRA other than paying normal taxes on the income.  And if it was a Roth IRA, you've already paid the taxes.  I'm pretty sure you can withdraw principal funds from a Roth IRA before age 59 1/2 with no penalty - just not the earnings.  In short, my advice to anyone would be not to give up on the system as it is but don't give up your weapons and ammo either.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 01/19/12 at 12:46:03

Frying pan and the fire --- and the bubble effect.

Gold is strongly "in the bubble" right now -- silver has dropped way down from the bubble peak and has a more realistic value right not (still inflated some and will likely go back up again, but silver is more realistic right now).

Land is cheap, houses are cheap.

Interest is cheap.

Key thing is to buy something with your dollars before they decline in value yet more.   Letting it sit in the bank at 1-2% interest while it looses 10% of its purchasing value in a year is stupid.

I remember the days of 10% percent inflation.   After 4-5 years of it, your savings were worth 1/2 of where they started out at.

Nobody saved very much money back then, either -- it took just about every penny you had just to live.

Will we go back there again?   I dunno -- begins to smell like it to me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 01/19/12 at 13:03:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/19/12 at 12:46:03:
I remember the days of 10% percent inflation.   After 4-5 years of it, your savings were worth 1/2 of where they started out at.

Nobody saved very much money back then, either -- it took just about every penny you had just to live.

Will we go back there again?   I dunno -- begins to smell like it to me.

I remember that in the 70's - actually I think it got to something like 13% inflation, though unemployment was closer to 6% or 7%.  It's entirely possible, especially since there are some brainiacs out there claiming higher inflation may just be the answer.  I think the idea is that "things" become worth more while the value of the currency becomes less.  The "classroom bubble" theory says that this decreases your debt because the value of the dollars you owe is less.  My problem is that unless people have jobs and their paychecks keep pace with inflation, it's all hogwash.  The bigger problem is that a lot of the policy wonks might buy into it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 18:21:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Inflation and what to do about it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.