YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: cam chain/tensioner
Reply #15 - 01/19/12 at 08:27:52

Built (sigh) There is no way to check it w/out openning it up.  According to the manual, head bolts are supposed to be retorqued every 4,000 miles.  Of course no one does this.  Hell, this would be every other month for me.  Knowing that it's actually heat cycles and not miles that causes the stretching of the head bolts makes me think it should be done about 1 a year for someone like myself and every 2 years for the fellows up north that only ride half the year.

Several of us old timers recommend greasing/oiling one side of the gasket to facilitate future removal w/out damaging the gasket.  And if you're very careful, even if you don't oil it, it can be pryed loose w/out damage with the aide of a knife.  Of course can't always be done, long time installed gaskets will harden and become very fragile.

Now the alternate to openning it up is to get yourself a fiberoptic borescope with a right angle mirror.  Stick it in the oil fill port and lay your eyeballs on it that way.

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #16 - 01/19/12 at 15:11:45

How obviously noisy should it be before the second hole? I mean they all seem pretty crappity smacking noisy....

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #17 - 01/19/12 at 15:24:44

Here's what she sounds like.. time for the second hole or am I good to go? Keep in mind my mic on my droid phone pics up high tones really well... check out the other video for second thoughts...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #18 - 01/20/12 at 07:09:47

You don't have a noisy cam. (your paranoia is showing again Wink). There is a sound bite in the tech section that does have a noisy chain. Check it out.
FWIW if you tape a piece of open cell foam over the mike on your camera it will reduce the wind noise somewhat.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #19 - 01/20/12 at 08:02:16

Just more thoughts from my experience.

I THINK I went to the 2nd hole at 20k on Thumper.

I went all the way past 79k before I opened it up again.  
It wasn't noisy, but performance was down.  The tensioner was a little past half way on it's travel.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1312808033

I checked compression before going in. Got 140 lbs

Put it back together.  All I really did to it was the chain and adjust the valves (first time I ever did that too).

It's a little peppier now.  Not like new, but better than it was.

I THINK my performance issue was a because of the chain stretch throwing off the timing and causing low compression (maybe?)
I got 150 lbs of compression when I was done.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #20 - 01/21/12 at 08:30:38

arteacher wrote on 01/20/12 at 07:09:47:
(your paranoia is showing again Wink). There is a sound bite in the tech section that does have a noisy chain.

Paranoia is a good thing, nip the problem in the bud before it worsens... I've seen the cam chain vid in the tech section, I'm just worried now about the chain stretching since I ride 'er like a $2 hooker Cheesy

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #21 - 01/21/12 at 12:36:02

Built2Last wrote on 01/19/12 at 15:24:44:
Here's what she sounds like.. time for the second hole or am I good to go? Keep in mind my mic on my droid phone pics up high tones really well... check out the other video for second thoughts...

How would you expect anyone to tell you anything about your chain from those two videos. The sound on the first one is not too bad, but why include the second one? You can hardly hear the exhaust, let alone the chain.
You have already listened to the bad chain video, so you know what a bad chain sounds like, and you know you don't have one, so why post this question? Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #22 - 01/21/12 at 12:56:39

You can hear it at the start up and end of the second video... but you already answered my question once so why make a new post about it??

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #23 - 01/22/12 at 04:53:22

Didn't think to modify the first one. Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 11:18:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam chain/tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.