Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
throttle return (Read 105 times)
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
throttle return
01/17/12 at 12:32:45

On my CS1 build, the throttle return is very slow. The grip doesn't snap back. Is this okay? I even greased the plastic sleeve over the handle bar and oiled the throttle cable some.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: throttle return
Reply #1 - 01/17/12 at 13:06:22

Is the cable tight?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 01/17/12 at 13:16:24

Grease will slow it down (too viscus)- light oil works better, nothing works best. Check that the grip is not binding on the end of the handle bar, and that the cable is hooked up to the grip properly, and that the grip is not binding in the switch housing. Are you using stock grips? Have you got a sharp bend in the cable?
First I would disconnect the cable and see if it snaps back when pulled out. With the cable disconnected put the switch housing back together and see if the grip turns freely. You should localize the problem fairly quickly then.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/17/12 at 23:39:43

Ive noticed small changes in cable routing changes the "Snap back" time a lot. Grease needs cleaned out, light lube is called for.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/18/12 at 07:18:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/17/12 at 23:39:43:
Ive noticed small changes in cable routing changes the "Snap back" time a lot. Grease needs cleaned out, light lube is called for.,

is graphite used anymore??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/18/12 at 07:43:56

That mite be a good idea, IDK, but once lube has been used, Id think putting graphite in would be inviting some gumming up action, unless a guy could get it all clean & dry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 01/18/12 at 10:02:11

I had the same situation on my other bike. It turned out I had tightened the adjuster too much. A wee bit more slack cured the problem.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 01/18/12 at 10:04:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/17/12 at 23:39:43:
Ive noticed small changes in cable routing changes the "Snap back" time a lot.

The tighter a bends, the more the cable will bind. So make sure it's routed as straight as possible.

I custom ordered a 6" shorter cable for my Ryca since I started with buckhorns. Otherwise I would have been trying to bend and tuck the stock cable in ways that would have made it bind.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #8 - 01/18/12 at 11:51:02

MotoBuddha wrote on 01/18/12 at 10:04:49:
I custom ordered a 6" shorter cable for my Ryca since I started with buckhorns. Otherwise I would have been trying to bend and tuck the stock cable in ways that would have made it bind.

Where would I go to order these shorter cables?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - 01/18/12 at 12:41:17

I got mine from Motion Pro, mostly because it seemed easier to order from them than Barnett.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/custom/

Here's how I figured out how much shorter the cables needed to be, since I wasn't sure what points Motion Pro would measure from:

- I disconnected the handle bar end of the cable and let the cable make a nice, natural arc. I made a mark on the cable, using something like a bolt on the head for a reference point.

- Then I disconnected the clutch/carb end and reattached the lever/throttle end. With the bars turned all the way (left in the case of the clutch, right for the throttle) I let the cable make as smooth and relaxed of a bend back toward the clutch/carb. I marked the cable using the same reference point.

- Measured the distance between the marks and wrote it on a piece of tape stick on the cable.

Then I sent the old cables to Motion Pro so they could match the various fittings.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 01/18/12 at 13:04:05

RycaShawn wrote on 01/18/12 at 11:51:02:
MotoBuddha wrote on 01/18/12 at 10:04:49:

Where would I go to order these shorter cables?

I very recently (Saturday!) just concluded getting a custom cable ordered from Barnett to hook up a VM38 carb to the savage. It was around $45 shipped, if you want to price compare with Motion Pro. Not really a hassle to order from either, I just emailed them (didn't fill out an order online or anything) and within a few days a cable was shipped out. I can send you the email address if you'd like.

General trouble shooting tips would be to reroute the cable a few times and re-check the return. Even just turning the handlebars side to side can sometimes get different feedback. I'd also loosen up all the cable tensioners and recheck the return.

A few people around here recommend using heavy weight gear oil (80/90w or higher) on cables, letting a bit of oil drip out the bottom of the cable from the top overnight (to get some of the grit out).

Lastly, you can also check the spring on the carb that actually pulls the throttle back down. I don't have a really good metric for it, but it should put up a fair amount of resistance if you try and actuate just the carb part with your fingers. I highly doubt the spring broke or became... weaker, but you never know.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #11 - 01/18/12 at 13:20:23

My carb has been rebuilt by the previous owner. There's a chance he didn't install the spring with enough preload...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/18/12 at 13:45:42

In the stock carb, there's 2 springs.  The external one and the internal one.

Remove the top and check the internal one, many times it's folded over.
other than that... straight as posible, lube, yada, yada, yada.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:23:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › throttle return

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.