Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need NEW CAR - Suggestions pls. (Read 155 times)
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Need NEW CAR - Suggestions pls.
01/12/12 at 16:01:18

How's everyone doing? Happy new year btw. So, it's like this:

I LOVE my 97 mazda 323 16V/1.8 liter, runs great, but it has some
rust (cause of winter road salt) and will not pass the regulatory road
worthyness check-up coming up this summer (cause of the rust, ever
stricter catalizer rules and specially cause of the bumper-car queen
(wifey) incident last  year - click links if ur curious).

Before 2009 http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5623/before2009.jpg
Crash 2010 http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8510/crash2010.jpg
Sideview 2010 http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/447/crash20101.jpg
After 2011 http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5112/after2011.jpg
(yup, roadworthy again, a sledge hammer and fleabay will do wonders!)

So basically I need to buy a new/used car this year within the following criteria:

1. RUST RESISTANT, I love mazda but I will not buy another because,
as most japanese cars, they tend to start to rust pretty bad after their
10th birthday, rear breaks tend to stick sometimes.

2. SAFE, I needs to protect me well in the event of a crash (lots of
deer and ice patches in my area), needs to drive well in snow & highway.

3. EASY TO REPAIR, parts and labour should not be a problem.
k.i.s.s. engineering principle should apply here (keep it simple stupid).

4. MPGs, 4, 5 or maaybe a 6 banger with reasonable milage.

5. WEIGHT, I tend to tow stuff and I also do not feel comfortable
driving anything lighter than, say, 2500lbs (that's about a ton);
ample parking in my area, no real need for anything small.

6. PRICE, no need for bells and whistles or seat warmers or
leather anything, just good-reliable transportation; about $2K would
be ideal, maaaybe $4-5K is my absolute budget limt for a newer model.    

I was thinking of maybe volvo, toyota, hyundai or maybe a subaru or skoda.

Suggestions?

What's your experience?
What car/brand you HATED?
What car/brand you would buy again and again?

Thanks in advance.
Wink

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Need NEW CAR - Suggestions pls.
Reply #1 - 01/12/12 at 16:04:47

I'm in the same boat.. how much will you sell that one to me for?  Grin

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #2 - 01/12/12 at 16:15:20

Dude, you can have it for free after September, no kidding!

Will not ship, Pick up only - it's in Frankfurt  Grin

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 01/12/12 at 16:22:25

Won't ship if I pay the shipping? I need a beater that will last a year or so..

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 01/12/12 at 16:24:04

I have had Toyota's for 22 years. '89-73, a new 4Runner, 73- 2008, an '88 Land Cruiser (absolutely the best vehicle I ever owned- I would still be driving it if someone hadn't totaled it for me), 2008- present, a Scion Xb. The 4Runner never saw a mechanic in the 4 years I owned it (I did my own maintenance), the Land Cruiser only went to the mechanic once in the 15 years I owned it, and the Scion had the rotors replaced and new pads put on. (I'm getting too old to crawl around the pavement these days Grin)
Volvo is no better than any other car since Ford took them over
My step sister has good things to say about her Subaru.
No personal experience with Hyundi or Skoda.
If safety is primary, buy a car on a frame, if you can find one, or a small truck.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 01/12/12 at 16:43:00

Out of Honda, GM, Ford, BMW, and Toyota, Toyotas have been the best in my experience. The last one we had racked up 250,000 miles and was going strong when I sold it (to downsize and save some gas).  Presently we are running a Scion Xa and love it.  But for your needs maybe a Toyota Matrix would be better.

My mazda-based Ranger hasn't been too bad either, but I can tell it won't last nearly as long as a Toyota.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 01/12/12 at 18:43:11

I'll put in a plug for Jeep.  Im driving a Liberty Renegade and I love it. We've had a few wranglers and a few Grand Cherokees that were good vehicles too.  Oh, but I think the car I wish I still had was my VW Jetta.  Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 01/12/12 at 20:08:46

Boule’tard wrote on 01/12/12 at 16:43:00:
Out of Honda, GM, Ford, BMW, and Toyota, Toyotas have been the best in my experience. The last one we had racked up 250,000 miles and was going strong when I sold it (to downsize and save some gas).  Presently we are running a Scion Xa and love it.  But for your needs maybe a Toyota Matrix would be better.

My mazda-based Ranger hasn't been too bad either, but I can tell it won't last nearly as long as a Toyota.

Boule, I'm looking for Rangers for my daughter. My brother put 175,000 on an 86 4 cyl 5 speed and I gave him $600 for it with the air still working. I drove it to work for years. Since the odometer went out with the speedo still working my mileage was estimated. But after working there 14 yrs it was pretty close. We figured it had close to 225000 when I sold it for $600 to a boy who sold it to his father in law. That was about ten years ago and I still see it occasionally. I'm sure with your good upkeep habits and skill you'll be stuck with yours for years.  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/13/12 at 08:25:43

We have an 08 Pontiac Vibe. I cant say enough good about it. Close to 30 MPG. Comfy seats, change the oil & keep air in the tires, & it will tell you when you are low a couple of pounds, & just drive it. It will tow a light load, hitches are available. The downside to it is road noise, but I suspect a few cans of undercoating & pull the door trim panels & stick some light rubber gaskets in with some contact cement & it would be w hole different experience. I doubt Ill ever get caught up enough to see that at the top of the To Do list.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 01/13/12 at 08:59:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/13/12 at 08:25:43:
We have an 08 Pontiac Vibe. I cant say enough good about it. Close to 30 MPG. Comfy seats, change the oil & keep air in the tires, & it will tell you when you are low a couple of pounds, & just drive it. It will tow a light load, hitches are available. The downside to it is road noise, but I suspect a few cans of undercoating & pull the door trim panels & stick some light rubber gaskets in with some contact cement & it would be w hole different experience. I doubt Ill ever get caught up enough to see that at the top of the To Do list.

IIRC the Vibe is the same as the Toyota Matrix... Always thought they were neat little cars.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 01/13/12 at 09:05:34

Boofer wrote on 01/12/12 at 20:08:46:
Boule, I'm looking for Rangers for my daughter. My brother put 175,000 on an 86 4 cyl 5 speed and I gave him $600 for it with the air still working. I drove it to work for years. Since the odometer went out with the speedo still working my mileage was estimated. But after working there 14 yrs it was pretty close. We figured it had close to 225000 when I sold it for $600 to a boy who sold it to his father in law. That was about ten years ago and I still see it occasionally. I'm sure with your good upkeep habits and skill you'll be stuck with yours for years.  Smiley  

I will try to keep it as long as possible.  At 40k the engine and transmission are about as ratty as my Honda civic was at 100k.  But the overall truck is fairly tough. I have overloaded it with half-yards of gravel, way too many bricks, tile, bags of cement, etc. and have not managed to break the suspension. The steering/suspension SEALS, however, are apparently made out of rice paper.. cracked and falling off.  I just keep them squirted good with grease, but need to take it apart and replace the seals.

To do over again I'd either get a Toyota Tacoma (considered, but yikes the sticker shock) or save some cash and get a Mazda B-series.  It was a mistake to pay a premium for the Ford label.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #11 - 01/13/12 at 09:51:33

New Hyundai's are fantastic deals.
The Elantra is North American Car of the Year.

I have an 07 Accent that has 190,000 KM on it.(118,000 miles) and
has had very little done to it other than regular oil changes at 10,000 km intervals (synthetic).

1 Coil pack
Front Brakes and bearings at 180,000 kms.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #12 - 01/13/12 at 10:13:53

I don't know if you can find one in your price range but the UK Top Gear guys proved a Toyota Hi-Lux diesel pickup truck is pretty much indestructible.  I imagine the mileage would be in the low 20s for miles per gallon.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/13/12 at 12:34:07

How about a now extinct subaru Baja? They are kinda funky looking, but have AWD and run forever, save the head gaskets which usually need a change at 100K. The turbo is a fairly quick and nimble li'l hauler.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 01/14/12 at 20:57:10

EJID wrote on 01/13/12 at 08:59:34:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/13/12 at 08:25:43:

IIRC the Vibe is the same as the Toyota Matrix... Always thought they were neat little cars.

Under th skin, yea, BUt the 04 Matrix wont accelerate like the 08 Vibe.
The Matrix has a cable from pedal to throttle body, the Vibe is a Fly by Wire.. I just dont enjoy the Matrix as much., but there is a 4 year difference in manufacture dates..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:42:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Need NEW CAR - Suggestions pls.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.