Send Topic Print
Left over tube (Read 214 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Left over tube
01/10/12 at 14:56:29

So I pulled my air box and put on a pod air filter last night, and when I finished up this morning I noticed I still had this left over... any idea what it is or if I need it?

I'm just letting that tube that comes out of the head fly free and wild at the moment, should I throw a breather on it what? That's the crankcase breather right? Motorcycles are fun.. aha

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Left over tube
Reply #1 - 01/10/12 at 15:20:16

Air box drain

if you don't got one you don't need it.

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 01/10/12 at 15:26:20

Mock up

Installed

my camera phone is retarded

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 01/10/12 at 16:29:35

Why not mount the filter right on the carb?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 01/10/12 at 17:48:41

arteacher wrote on 01/10/12 at 16:29:35:

in theory, you are supposed to have a longer intake to stabilize air-flow (or some other nonsense).

that hose was the airbox drain hose. discharge from the crank-case breather would flow into the airbox and drain into that. so while you don't need to put a breather on that hose, you should put one on the crank-case breather, which is at the top right side of the cylinder head.

also, i think those carb vent hoses should be routed above the carb, not under, but i'm not sure about that one.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 01/10/12 at 17:54:54

arteacher wrote on 01/10/12 at 16:29:35:

This air filter won't mount on directly on the carb without relocating the battery and tool box, which would take some drilling/cutting/welding, so I just threw it on the carb boot for the time being... thanks to Motobudha for the tips too Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/10/12 at 20:00:26

you'll get a little better performance that way

WWW   IP Logged
NHthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/11/12 at 03:57:02

Can someone give me parts # for best freeflowing aftermarket cone or pancake air filter?
Thanks

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 01/11/12 at 07:35:05

NHthumper wrote on 01/11/12 at 03:57:02:
Can someone give me parts # for best freeflowing aftermarket cone or pancake air filter?
Thanks

I'm not sure what the best is but K&N, Uniflow, and Spectre make some good ones, the carb flange is 57mm.

The carb boot on the end that connects to the air box is a bit larger, no exactly sure how much, but I was able to squeeze it over the 57mm flange and clamp it tight...

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 01/11/12 at 08:38:09

spacepirates wrote on 01/10/12 at 17:48:41:
also, i think those carb vent hoses should be routed above the carb, not under, but i'm not sure about that one.

So you mean just tuck them back and up?

Do you know any good fitting crankcase breather filters off hand, maybe something I can pick up at Advance Auto or locally? I'm sick of having to order everything aha...  Cheesy

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 01/11/12 at 08:38:17

NHthumper wrote on 01/11/12 at 03:57:02:
Thanks

For what it's worth, if you're concerned about getting a specific filter due to clearance issues with the battery/frame, 57mm is pretty close to 2.25" and you can get PVC pipe cheap from Lowe's/Home Depot and make yourself an intake by attaching your filter to an elbow (or any other shape PVC pipe) and connect the pipe to the carb using a rubber coupler (I think they make in 2.5", which while loose at first, should tighten down just fine). Though, doing this means you have to be careful about getting a good seal at all the connection points to avoid air leaking in and messing with your air/fuel mixture zen.

Here is a setup that Diamond Jim had:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1235090064/10#10

--
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #11 - 01/11/12 at 08:43:42

Built2Last wrote on 01/11/12 at 08:38:09:
spacepirates wrote on 01/10/12 at 17:48:41:

So you mean just tuck them back and up?

Do you know any good fitting crankcase breather filters off hand, maybe something I can pick up at Advance Auto or locally? I'm sick of having to order everything aha...  Cheesy

The only two reasons I'd say you should tuck those back up is because that is the way stock is and that by doing so you allow any fuel spat out by them more of a chance to run back in the carb rather than all over everything else, though I doubt that is a common occurrence.

I picked up a breather filter at Advanced Auto for around $9. I had to buy a little adapter (which amounts to a hard and hollow plastic tube, i.e. a pen  Grin ) to mount the filter into the end of the breather hose (which was <$1) and I used two hose clamps to secure it.

EDIT: Keep in mind that the breather filter may very well end up spitting engine discharge out, so you might want to consider routing it in such a way to minimize stuff dripping out all over your bike. The right side of my bike is considerably more dirty because of this.

--
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #12 - 01/11/12 at 08:50:19

Thanks, can you throw up a pic or a part # so I'm not in there for 2 hours measuring everything, I think they're already mad at me because I keep getting $5 off on your next visit coupons and buying stuff... I've saved about $30 in the last 2 weeks aha  Cheesy

I might try to "re-hose" the crankcase breather back down around the frame and tie it off how it came stock.. no mess on my bike..

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 01/11/12 at 08:56:49

Here's how mine was mounted by the PO. I have since swapped the air filter setup that he did for a simple cone mounted on the carb and like it better. The breather is still unchanged though.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #14 - 01/11/12 at 09:11:28

Cool.. now to go find one of those crankcase breathers... here's what I have so far, I need to clean up the wiring and grind of those mounting brackets if I decide to not replace the "S40" side panels... repainting the grinded off brackets is gonna be a pain..

Raptor 660 installed as well Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:20:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left over tube

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.