Send Topic Print
BMW 650 single (Read 185 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

BMW 650 single
01/06/12 at 23:21:02

I was reading about this BMW 650 single. Base price is $7,000 and if I can swing it I think I am going to buy it. I will never get rid of my savage, it is the best bike I have ever owned and to sell it would be like selling a family member. But most of my friends have duel sports and leave the paved highway when ever they can. Being on the short side, this bike comes in 3 different seat heights. I'm not buying anything that  both feet cant touch the ground on. 48 Hp should move it right down the road.

http://www.modernman.com/2011-bmw-g-650-gs-review/

IP Logged
ham45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast Tennessee
Re: BMW 650 single
Reply #1 - 01/07/12 at 04:47:55

The reviewer talks about the BMW 650 riding off road.  It certainly is a nice bike but I ride my Savage 650 down to the barn and out around the field looking for deer sign all the time.  It's so light it goes off road with no problem, that's one of the reasons I bought it.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 01/07/12 at 07:05:29

Just read an article about that very model about a week ago. It definitely peaked my interest! Huh
It's going on my wish list for next Christmas... ya hear that Santa?! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/07/12 at 07:17:49

They get about 150% of our HP..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #4 - 01/07/12 at 08:29:18

BMW stopped making the 650 single in 2008.

IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #5 - 01/07/12 at 13:02:25

I had an f650, in fact it was my first bike when re entering riding after too many years. It was a very nice bike, though not all that off road worthy. The newer GS model is indeed more capable.
That said, I have gone through five different dual sport bikes  over the last 10 years. 250's, a 350, and a couple of 650's, air cooled and liquid cooled. Zooks and Kawis. The BMW's are harder to do do routine maintenance on  and much more expensive to repair and replace busted parts. The f650was just too nice to take back into the bush. Road riding...just fine
For off road riding, the smaller displacement bikes were the easiest to pick up and more fun when beating around the back country. The 650's were a lot more work but are more comfortable for longer "Adventure" touring.. The Kawi Super Sherpa had the lowest seat of the bunch and it was easy to flat foot it with my 30" inseam. The others were some taller, A KLR 650 can be lowered a good bit by changing links and seat. A DR650 is built to be lowered at the riders need (almost both feet down).
You learn to "slip a cheek" to put a foot down when stopped. The DS bikes are taller in order to yield the needed clearance.
My favorite bike of the bunch was the Suzuki DR650. A nice used one would cost you half what the BMW would and you would have plenty of traveling money after putting some accessories on it. A new , left over would save you more than a couple of grand.
Just my two cents worth. Wink

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 01/07/12 at 15:31:16

Good point.  If I ever get one, it wouldn't be for hard-core off-roading, just something that could go down fire roads and such without killing my back and bouncing itself to pieces. My C50 can handle gravel, although it's a little squirrely on street tires, but if the road's in bad repair, it's pretty rough. Tongue  And the big rocks on the fire roads make me nervous about damaging the tires! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/07/12 at 16:19:57

Driller said

You learn to "slip a cheek" to put a foot down when stopped. The DS bikes are taller in order to yield the needed clearance.

I learned to slip a cheek when I was about 7 years old.
A kid only needs to embarrass himself a couple of times in church before he figures that out,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #8 - 01/07/12 at 17:25:35

We Florida Crackers called that "lifting a cheek".
When you get old like me you have to take care there aren't any "sharts" sneaking up on you.  Grin

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 01/07/12 at 21:23:17

It does say it is a 2011 single cylinder. The lowest seat height is 28 1/2 inches so not much taller than he Savage. If I was riding on dirt the Savage would work but on gravel roads the belt on the Suzuki would get shredded in no time let alone broken teeth on the pulley.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - 01/08/12 at 20:37:45

That's a really good looking bike for a dual sport.  Most of them are pretty ugly.  They may have quit building 650 singles in 2008 but they're building them again now.  Looks like a great all around bike.

IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #11 - 01/09/12 at 10:47:43

gerald.hughes wrote on 01/07/12 at 08:29:18:
BMW stopped making the 650 single in 2008.

And restarted in 2009.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/10/12 at 06:07:49

Within the next month or two, I hope to pick up a 650 V-strom. Read up a lot of the smaller adventurer touring bikes and spoke to a few people online who had both the BMW and V-Strom at one time or another. The BMW name appeal is strong, but for performance, longevity and cost, the Suzuki V-Strom seems to better than the BMW. As someone else mentioned, the maintenance expense on a BMW is ridiculous.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #13 - 01/10/12 at 06:28:09

Those weestrom/SV engines are sweet, I've missed having a smooth v-twin like that ever since I sold my Hawk GT.  But going forward I stuck with thumpers for their simplicity and light weight.  Good luck on the purchase, and we look forward to some pics.

Dang, for the price of a DR + tons of farkles I could almost have bought one of the BMWs.  But then.. maintenance.  Cool  There's a lot to be said for a simple air/oil cooled thumper.. I don't think I will lust after the BMW too much.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 01/10/12 at 07:41:39

Yep, I've looked at quite a few dual sports. My vote goes to the V-strom or the Kawasaki Versys. The Suzuki V-Strom is kinda like a sport bike for the dirt.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:31:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › BMW 650 single

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.