babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
My latest Suzuki
01/06/12 at 08:20:08

1988 Samurai.  Got it to troll around in the woods at our camp.  Cheaper than a side by side!

Still a work in progress, we are going to fabricate a front bumper to put a winch on it... A few minor things to fix, but I think it will serve its purpose quite well.  

Anybody else got one of these little jewels?    

When we got it:

Brought it home and basically disassembled it,
fixed some rust spots (not bad for an '88!), under-coated it, and painted it with bedliner!

And I drove it to work today!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: My latest Suzuki
Reply #1 - 01/06/12 at 08:37:30

Looks good,You guys have got a lot of energy.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/06/12 at 09:09:17

It is a standard trans, right? I knew a guy who drove one for years, IDK how many miles he had on it when some moron crashed it,.He replaced the clutch once, he was laughing at how tiny it was & how long it lasted, & that it held the loads. Fine little vehicle & a winch is a great idea.

You guys do seem to live a great life,, may your health always be good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/06/12 at 09:19:41

Cool little ride! All the ones around here rusted away years ago.

Transfer cases are pretty weak. I rebuilt several when they were popular here. Other than that I saw few problems with them. Cool

At least the transfer case is independent from the transmission. In one case, I took the transfer case out & had a driveshaft made so the owner could use it around town. He tore up 3 t/cs & gave up on them, but liked it for running errands. Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/06/12 at 09:25:21

Where you been, Piglet?... Missed ya...

Cute Tonka... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 01/06/12 at 09:29:06

Well that is two dollops of kickass with a sprinkle of awesome on the side.  I remember when they first came out, it was the first vehicle Consumer Reports got their panties in a bunch about.. OMG they can FLIP!!

..so to rile up the nannies they must have done something right..  Wink

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 01/06/12 at 11:24:40

Yep, standard transmission, 5 speed.  The guy we bought it from was the 2nd owner, had gotten it from his uncle who bought it new.  The nephew just used it on his farm property, taking grandkids on rides on the logging roads.  It had about 86,000 miles when he got it about 6 years ago and he never had it out on the main roads.  The speedo isn't working now, so don't know true mileage, but its low for an 88.  These things must have a great attraction to rust, because the majority of the ones we looked at were rusty.  This one had been garaged for part of its life, so it wasn't too terrible.  

Sorry I haven't been around much lately.  Work has been a bear, and the craziness isn't over yet.  But since I drove the little beast today, I had to post a pic.  I still check in fairly often, just don't have time to post much.

Hopefully we get the winch put on before I learn if they are easy to FLIP!    Shocked    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 01/06/12 at 11:37:50

As long as you don't go around corners you probably want have to worry about  flipping it. Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/07/12 at 07:32:39

Ospho is your rust fighting friend, dont buy the gel,,
YOuve already Learned the are easy to flip.
Dont prove it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 01/09/12 at 16:04:56

bh, I was thinking of going with one for my daughter, 'cause they are cute. But they are  not much in a wreck, so I guess not. Here in the Southeast they start around $3000 in about any condition so long as they are running. I've always like the look of the little fellers. Good catch. Be sure to pick it up and shake it...could be full of loose change.  Wink  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 01/09/12 at 16:23:38

I think you can get spacers that stick the wheels out further to help with their tendency to flip.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 01/09/12 at 20:10:07

bh, I don't believe they turn over any easier than your average Explorer or Jeep CJ, but they are certainly not as stable as a Lexus. I personally don't believe in spacers because of more stress on the axle and spindle bearings. Still, a great little find. Three cylinder or four? They did come out with three cylinders early on? And Harbor Freight supposedly has a winch voted "Best Buy" or something in a 4 wheel magazine. I think it was about $60.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 01/10/12 at 07:59:42

My sister-in-law had one for years. Used to to crawl around her Dad's farm in Missouri. That thing could climb a tree!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 01/11/12 at 03:21:57

Kewl!! Love those old Samurai's ... would love to find one in mint condition!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 01/11/12 at 05:23:29

Boofer wrote on 01/09/12 at 20:10:07:
bh, I don't believe they turn over any easier than your average Explorer or Jeep CJ, but they are certainly not as stable as a Lexus. I personally don't believe in spacers because of more stress on the axle and spindle bearings. Still, a great little find. Three cylinder or four? They did come out with three cylinders early on? And Harbor Freight supposedly has a winch voted "Best Buy" or something in a 4 wheel magazine. I think it was about $60.

They do turn over easier than Jeeps and the like. If you look at the old Jeeps the wheels were right inside the body work. They had roll-over problems as well. Their solution was to widen the track with wider axles and add the little fenders to the sides.
A lot of 4WD guys use spacers to get more room for the big tires to turn, and to make their rides more stable.
And don't cheap out on the winch- it will fail when you need it most. (don't ask how I learned this).

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:32:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › My latest Suzuki

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.