Send Topic Print
Motor Life (Read 212 times)
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Motor Life
12/30/11 at 19:44:03

My wife and i ride on average 25,00km per season so 4 years down the road she might have 100,000km or 60,000miles .I'm anal on maintenance like oil changes and valve adjustments etc. I have two questions.Is a rebuild on the 650 reasonable if i do everything myself and do i have to bore the jug and go oversize piston and rings or could i stay stock piston with new rings?Never done a rebuild but seems to be a lot of knowledge on this forum.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Motor Life
Reply #1 - 12/30/11 at 21:19:20

There's only a couple of guys that have done a rebuild and I haven't really done one either.  so you're gonna have to be persistent or do a search.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/30/11 at 23:46:10

Why rebuild it? Is it blowin oil? Weak, sick, tired? Ive seen one with anout 90.000 MILES on it, it looked like o one had spent a dime on maintenance.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BobR
YaBB Newbies

Who said retirement
has to be boring??

St. John's, NL
Reply #3 - 12/31/11 at 07:12:48

I don't think you will know til you take it apart. My Magna has 165,000 km on it and I replaced only the rings. My mechanic friend says if the cylinder is within specs and not damaged, I should have to replace the rings only. I'll find out when I get it back together and try to start it. As the mileage climbs up, check the compression. If it starts to go down, you may want to do the rings before you do any damage.

1986 Savage 650
1983 Honda V45 Magna (project)
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 12/31/11 at 08:40:16

Many years ago when there was a German Savage site, before Jon created this one, a So Cal rider claimed over 90,000 miles on a commuter bike before the cam chain tensioner went. He taught at 2 colleges and had to go between them daily so runs were at speed and in temperate climates. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/31/11 at 18:29:59

Wifes bike is brand new but i just assumed being a thumper that it wouldnt go as long as a vtwin but i'll find out 5 years down the road.Her bike runs great i was just curious on the expected engine life but maybe it will outlast my 1700 vtwin.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 01/01/12 at 20:29:19

Engines do not just grow old.  Something breaks.  At 100k miles, a lot of somethings are close to breaking, and a rebuild traditionally replaces them.  But, if you have good compression, good oil pressure, and you have checked the came chain, keep on rolling!

IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/02/12 at 13:42:15

If she still likes her bike after 5 years then i'll get her another one or rebuild the one she has.With all emission controls i doubt if Suzuki wiill even offer a carb bike 5 years from now but they could always go to injection.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/02/12 at 16:22:49

I saw a motor suddenly go bad 2 days ago. Neighbor running his 2 y/o mower, running it up an easy grade & it sounded like he ran it over a small junkyard. Then, I realized all the racket was from the engine, He never even tried the starter, just stuck it in neutral & coasted backwards down the hill, got off & walked away. It still sits there,, in need of much love & probably more $$$ than its worth. Bummer,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 01/04/12 at 14:15:38

Got 16k on mine. Only replaced the tensioner for a modified one. Uses a 1/2PT of oil on 1,500 miles.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 01/04/12 at 21:27:04

BobR wrote on 12/31/11 at 07:12:48:
I don't think you will know til you take it apart. My Magna has 165,000 km on it and I replaced only the rings. My mechanic friend says if the cylinder is within specs and not damaged, I should have to replace the rings only. I'll find out when I get it back together and try to start it. As the mileage climbs up, check the compression. If it starts to go down, you may want to do the rings before you do any damage.

BobR, be sure to ask your friend about honing the cylinders when only replacing rings. Otherwise you may get high oil consumption and smoke. Just sayin'

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
BobR
YaBB Newbies

Who said retirement
has to be boring??

St. John's, NL
Reply #11 - 01/05/12 at 08:50:53

He did that. Thanks. We're just a bit slow putting it back together. The Savage works so no rush on the Magna.

1986 Savage 650
1983 Honda V45 Magna (project)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:25:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motor Life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.