Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Done Tinkering with my S40 (for now) (Read 413 times)
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
Done Tinkering with my S40 (for now)
12/27/11 at 18:18:44

Finally done doing some tinkering on my bike. Polished right and left engine cover and new gaskets, new chain tensioner (thanks to our friend), Harley Dyna muffle, ceramic coated down pipe. Here are some pic of before and after.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Done Tinkering with my S40 (for now)
Reply #1 - 12/27/11 at 19:40:43

If you were gonna put a for sale sign on it, the before price & after price would be vastly different. Good job.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #2 - 12/27/11 at 20:33:06

Looking good!  Smiley  I need to polish the left engine cover on mine -- glad to see how nice it came out for you.  How'd you do it?  Any tips?

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 12/27/11 at 21:10:00

For now, is right...   I've been screwin' with mine since 'o6....
Lookin' luvly though... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 12/28/11 at 00:45:05

I have polished my casings til they almost look like chrome and it's simple to do!  Strip the clear coating off with a dissolving solvent. I use these foam sanding pads that come in course, medium and fine. I use the medium until the finish is dull , then the fine until you begin to see a shine. Then  polish on a buffing wheel with some compound until you can read fine print from a newspaper on it. You can use a small polishing wheel on a drill but it takes longer. You can do a whole case from beginning to end in a hour or two after the clear coating has been removed. I must be doing a pretty good job at it because I have had several offers to do polishing on other,s bikes after seeing mine. It is best to not clear coat the new polished casing because it dulls it and will flake. You can hand polish it from then on to bring back the luster.

IP Logged
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
Reply #5 - 12/28/11 at 18:30:57

scottnj:

First I removed both casings from the engine (bought new gaskets). I removed the factory clear coating with aircraft paint stripper (bought at Advance Auto Parts). I use this type because it removes the clear coat without damaging the aluminum.

Second I started sanding the casings with 320 sandpaper. I did everything by hand without the use of any power tools. Use wet/dry sand paper. From the 320 grit, i went to 600, then 1000, and finally 1500 grit. Always sanded with water.

Third I polished with Meguiars Aluminum Polish cream.

Done!!!!

IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #6 - 12/28/11 at 21:17:50

Thanks for the info -- may be a good winter project to tackle.  The before/after difference on yours is pretty impressive.  I have the same corrosion you did and want to make it go away.

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 12/29/11 at 04:45:13

Did you use a clear on your casings after you polished them?  How long will that shine last before you have to do it all again?  I'm torn between painting and polishing, but you just put a huge plus in the polishing column.  Looks great!

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
Reply #8 - 12/29/11 at 19:45:00

AlphaBarney:

I decided not to clear coat because I heard eventually the clear coating turns yellowish and dull.  After all the hard work I didn't want to take a chance. I looked into painting the casings flat black, but again, with road chips chipping away the paint, means more work later.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 12/29/11 at 20:15:42

darn fine job on the polishing... I'm just wondering if you painted the head pipe black to stop blueing? They make this stuff called Blue-Job that cleans the blue right up:

But anyways, you think painting the crankcase is really gonna get chipped by road debris?

IP Logged
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
Reply #10 - 12/30/11 at 05:06:50

built2last66:

My down pipe was rusted at the front and bottom. A new pipe cost $150 and i had mine ceramic coated for $100. I thought i better off ceramic coated and not to worry abt rust or blueing on a new pipe. I have a 1971 volkswagen and the headers and muffler are ceramic coated for five years now and not one spot of rust anywhere.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #11 - 12/30/11 at 10:01:31

VOLKY wrote on 12/30/11 at 05:06:50:
built2last66:

My down pipe was rusted at the front and bottom

Blue-Job gets rust off with ease! Granted it may eventually rust again or blue again, the stuff cost's $20 and works like magic, plus you can just wipe your pipes down without taking them off.

Anyways, how does the ceramic hold up? I'm considering painting my custom drag pipe and I have 3 options, 2000 degree rustoleum, buying high temp powder coat out of my own pocket and having it professionally applied (the company here doesn't stock the high temp stuff), or possibly the ceramic.

Another question, did your crankcase gaskets stick or tear any? If they did what method did you use to scrap the stuck pieces off? Do you have any oil leaks? I'm thinking a scraping razor would work but I don't want to damage anything since I'm a newb at this stuff... thanks  Cheesy

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 12/30/11 at 22:23:12

Another tip for finishing polishing. I did my clutch cover with 0000 steel wool and after put car wax on three times in a row. Keeps the shine way longer. It kinda prevents moisture to get aggressive with the aluminum. Nevertheless always make shure to get moisture or water off as soon as possible. Droplets of water will etch into the aluminum. The car wax helps with that quiet a bit.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 12/30/11 at 23:37:54

ralfyguy wrote on 12/30/11 at 22:23:12:
Another tip for finishing polishing. I did my clutch cover with 0000 steel wool and after put car wax on three times in a row. Keeps the shine way longer. It kinda prevents moisture to get aggressive with the aluminum. Nevertheless always make shure to get moisture or water off as soon as possible. Droplets of water will etch into the aluminum. The car wax helps with that quiet a bit.

GOOD! I just hate the sound of oxidation.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
Reply #14 - 12/31/11 at 14:27:17

built2last66:

I have a 1971 VW with ceramic coated headers and muffler for four years or so. No even one speck of rust anywhere.  About the rustoleum paint, is up to you but i tried before and eventually will burned and peel off.

About the gaskets, you are right. In some places they were stuck to the engine case and cover. I used paint thinner and let it soak for a while. Then i used a one sided razor blade and scraped it off carefully without making scratches on the aluminum. So far i have no oil leaks anywhere.  Before taking the covers off, i had a leak on the left engine cover right under the kick stand. No more.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:37:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Done Tinkering with my S40 (for now)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.