Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Header very hot after cam chain replace (Read 119 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Header very hot after cam chain replace
12/22/11 at 16:36:45

Just got done replacing the cam chain on my 2002.  80,000 miles.
Also:
Adjusted valves (of course)
Replaced spark plug (with exact same kind (iridium)).
New muffler on, but same kind that came off (Sportster)).  (The original muffler and header went on my other bike when it blew out the baffles)

Seems to run OK (haven't really taken it out yet, just a turn around the block), but the header is getting VERY hot when idling.  Smoking, turning blue.

I did not change the jets or even touch the carb.

Now, call me a newb if you must, but is the extreme hot a condition of too rich or too lean or something else?

I would kind of like to correct this before I put the bike back in service!

Suggestions and things to look for and try would be appreciated!

Thank!!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Header very hot after cam chain replace
Reply #1 - 12/22/11 at 16:44:53

I'm just throwing this out there for you to think about, since it throws up a red flag for me... the valves (my first guess) or new cam chain (or both) aren't adjusted correctly... but that should be a given anyway..

By header you mean the header pipe right?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/22/11 at 16:59:31

If it seems to be running okay,.. I'd say it's just the added backpressure from the not leaky muffler, holding the heat in the pipe longer...
Mine's blue too...  I like it.. Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/22/11 at 17:11:14

since you said it were smokin', most likely you got a little oil on it.  that will turn it blue.

but also, depending on the muff, it could be lean.
backfire on shutoff?  If it's not, then no worries for now.

and sitting around and idling for awhile is enough to get it pretty hot.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/22/11 at 18:35:08

built2last66:  Yes, header pipe.  Checked cam installation and valve adjustment multiple times.   Bike runs too good to be off enough to cause that heat.  I'll take it out on the road tomorrow to check performance.

Serowbot:  Been running sporty mufflers on this bike since I got it with 3800 miles.  This is the 4th one (I think).

Verslagen:  Oil is possible, as I didn't bother cleaning it up real good when I put it back on.  
No backfire on shutoff.  
I wonder if running with the "choke" out a notch would simulate going rich to see if that changes the amount of heat it is putting out?

Keep those cards and letters coming!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 12/23/11 at 05:04:43

As was said, if it is running good, it is nearly impossible for anything to be off enough to cause an overheating problem.
If an engine is running lean enough at idle to cause any problem, it won't idle....period.
I'm betting you have handled the header pipe w/ hands that were not so free of oil and grease, and that is all it takes to smell, smoke and turn colorish.

Along the same line,...I just traveled 1200 miles,....Oregon to Arizona, towing my Jeep Liberty, and when I first started it here, it smoked and smelled like oil burning  underneath ! Come to find out, it was,........all the oily road fillm that had collected on the exhaust. First time towing for me,.....next time I'll expect it !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 12/23/11 at 06:26:19

If you were *really* concerned, you could go out and buy an infrared thermometer (the kind you point at what you want to measure) and read the temperature of the head/jug (not the header).

There was an oil-war thread a while back that had head/jug/crankcase temperatures corresponding with different oils and ambient temps.

Though like other's here have said, blueing (or golding) of the header happens pretty frequently. My header and jardine exhaust is so blue it almost looks blacked out entirely.

Also, i don't think i'd let the bike idle more than a few (10-15 maybe?) minutes without having cool air blow over it (fan, still breeze outside..), but that might be me being more paranoid than i have to be.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #7 - 12/23/11 at 09:41:57

Routy wrote on 12/23/11 at 05:04:43:
towing my Jeep Liberty, and ...

Towing your Jeep Liberty...that's one hell of a bike. I knew these had some torque, but I never would have thought...  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:29:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Header very hot after cam chain replace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.