Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Smaller turnsignals and exhaust/jet question (Read 255 times)
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smaller turnsignals and exhaust/jet question
12/15/11 at 07:05:38

I recently ordered smaller aluminum rear turnsignals to replace the cheap, bulky, plastic stock ones. And surprise, surprise, just like the footpegs I ordered previously, they don't fit. I'm sick of wasting the little money I have for the bike. I tried modifying the old stalks, but the threads don't fit in the space. Anyone upgraded to smaller turnsignals that fit without and problems?

Also, I plan on making a small Ryca order soon for exhaust, jets and brakes. I see that the exhaust bracket connects to the rearset bracket, which I don't have yet. Would there be any problem just connecting it to the pipe and letting it "float"? Also, do I need to re-jet to add the exhaust?

Thanks for any help guys.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Smaller turnsignals and exhaust/jet question
Reply #1 - 12/15/11 at 07:49:42

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 12/15/11 at 08:07:49

I ended up drilling holes in my side mounts and mounting them, the stock holes are good for a cargo net hook... but I only drilled them because the PO had broken the stock signals off and guerilla glue'd everything to hell and back..  Cheesy

But I wouldn't do that to the sissy bar rails you have, they cost a lot more.. I had the standard rails..

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/15/11 at 08:13:38

Built2Last wrote on 12/15/11 at 08:07:49:
I wouldn't do that to the sissy bar rails you have, they cost a lot more.. I had the standard rails..

I wish I had the other ones... Haha.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 12/15/11 at 08:14:26

Here's a Ryca video on the turn signals. It's for the front, but would probably work on the rear, too.

http://youtu.be/mLjLOqggshw

Also, the muffler Ryca sells is one made by Emgo. You can find them all over the web. Just do a Google image search for Emgo mufflers. The images are almost always attached to a site selling them.

As far as mounting it goes, the muffler comes with a slot on the back in which a mounting bolt slides. I haven't tried it, but the bolt might line up with the stock muffler bracket. If not, there's also the strap that comes with the muffler. It's about 8" long. That could be connected to the stock muffler bracket. And there should also be a set of adapter rings compensate for the difference between the outside diameter of the end of the stock pipe and the inside diameter of the Emgo muffler.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 12/15/11 at 08:18:14

ezornes239 wrote on 12/15/11 at 08:13:38:
Built2Last wrote on 12/15/11 at 08:07:49:
I wouldn't do that to the sissy bar rails you have, they cost a lot more.. I had the standard rails..

I wish I had the other ones... Haha.

Well you have good stock adapters you can modify at least... I think the standard rails new are like $40 each.. depending on the year of your bike you should be able to get some used pretty cheap, I'd check with the RYCA dudes cause they have stock parts for sale..

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/15/11 at 09:46:23

MOTOBUDDAH also looked at a couple of different styles of EMGO mufflers; there are pictures of the shorty pipe mounted to his bike in his build thread. There are probably others, and I would expect most would work/sound/perform and mount about the same if you wanted something that looks a little different...

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 12/16/11 at 04:45:47

Here's the Emgo shorty with the Ryca adapter elbow.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 12/16/11 at 09:16:39

ezornes239 wrote on 12/15/11 at 07:05:38:
Would there be any problem just connecting it to the pipe and letting it "float"? Also, do I need to re-jet to add the exhaust

I wouldn't let the exhaust float, if you dumped it or it fell over it could rip the header bolts out or damage something else that puts you up nuts creek without a paddle.. some exhausts you need to re-jet..

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/17/11 at 06:51:01

Built2Last wrote on 12/16/11 at 09:16:39:
... some exhausts you need to re-jet..

+1 to this.
The general rule is that if you are going to install a more open exhaust, you should install a more free flowing air filter, and the re-jet the carb to match it all.

It's really not very hard to do, and the Tech section has tons of advice for how to do it. In my case I will be using a Harley DYNA muffler with  K&N cone filter. I found the jetting combinations that others are using here all pretty much the same, so there's no real argument. I don't have those numbers in front of me right now, but they are easy to come by, just go read any of the carb jetting threads.

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/18/11 at 11:10:50

I'm gonna cut them in the grooves and tap the inside. Look right?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 12/18/11 at 11:16:54

yep

WWW   IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/07/12 at 20:23:19

Can't seem to find a tap that will work. I tested 3/8 16 today, no go. Gonna try to order 3/8 18 online. I just wanna get these darn signals back on, been riding without for weeks.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Also ordered the Emgo shorty muffler, new headlight and spark plug  and front brakes and fork boots from Ryca. Might have to add on the exhaust adapter. Unless I can mount the Emgo straight onto the pipe, I don't have rearsets yet, so I shouldn't need it to kick out from the frame any.

Only part about having a bike as a daily rider, is that I only have 3-4 hours one day a week to work on anything. So I can't give my bike up to anyone who could do work for me, since I'd be without transport. I might just borrow a car for a few days and give my buddy with a shop like $100 and tell him to run through everything, clean carbs, tighten every bolt, install all the new nuts.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/07/12 at 21:00:38

3/8-18 ?!?!?  that ain't a standard size

Take it down to the local hardware store

or try some of the nuts on your bike, might be metric.

WWW   IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/08/12 at 07:59:07

That's what I've done. I took the signal down to Home Depot and tried screwing it into their little guide that tells you the thread size.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:35:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Smaller turnsignals and exhaust/jet question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.