will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Backfireing
Reply #15 - 12/18/11 at 21:50:41

Clymer has it at 145 to 203 psi or 1000 to 1400 kPa

116 psi or 800 kPa is the service limit

I hope you included tenths of a mile.

Anyhow, I'd include a cam chain adjuster check... you're close to needing one and maybe the problem.

This could bend the valves, but don't think it would run afterwards.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 12/19/11 at 07:47:42

Don't just run on prime,... Block the vacuum line as well...
It could be fuel leaking down the vac line into the intake, causing the problem...

Read here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #17 - 12/19/11 at 22:27:54

Thank you serowbot , these adjustment have been done till i get a new petcock on order , Doing a compression test today.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 12/20/11 at 07:15:22

Backfiring through the exhaust is ALMOST ALWAYS because of an air leak in the exhaust system or a lean mixture in the pilot circuit of the carb.
If the exhaust has no leaks then check the pilot jet size, pilot screw adjustment and ensure clean and free flowing passageways in the carb body.
It just is.

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #19 - 12/20/11 at 22:59:11

Thank you , Lancer

I couldnt do compression test my friend had a tester but wrong fittment for plug hole. I will go with you lancer on this and double check carb for clear passage ways .

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #20 - 05/11/12 at 19:05:47

This ia a old post but decided today to put the carb back togeather what has been sitting in a can of fuel all these months and i took the carb off my bike and tried this carb, guess what a little bit of popping in the exaust no backfireing at all, did some idle and air screw adjustment popping went, but when i took it on a test drive i could not get more than 50km out of it throttle wide open.  Sad

IP Logged
jamesjoshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

canada
Reply #21 - 05/12/12 at 16:59:59

u have that milage on a suzuki 650? Smiley

jamesjoshua   IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #22 - 05/12/12 at 21:55:27

It does the same on both bikes  Undecided

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #23 - 05/13/12 at 04:30:39

167,000 miles????? Your joking right?????

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 05/13/12 at 05:11:49

Backfires Through Carburetor

Common Causes:

Ignition:      The factory engine's ignition can contribute backfiring through the carburetor.
Cam design:      Long duration cams with early opening intake valves can contribute to backfiring.
Intake manifold air leak:      A lean condition due to an intake manifold air leak can cause backfiring.
Carburetor jetting:      An overly-lean low-speed circuit, non-functioning accelerator pump or clogged pilot jet can contribute to backfiring.

Ignition:

Under normal conditions dual fire ignitions present no problems. However, when combined with high performance long duration cams the stock ignition can cause premature ignition of an air/fuel mixture entering the rear cylinder. This, in turn, results in backfiring through the open intake valve into the intake system.  One of the sparks starts combustion while the other is wasted which is not on its firing stroke.

If that mixture is ignited by the wasted spark, then a backfire occurs as the burning mixture forces its way past the intake valve and out through the intake manifold and carburetor.

Single fire ignitions can often eliminate carburetor backfiring since they do not produce a wasted spark.

Cam design:

The earlier the intake valve opens the more likely the dual fire ignition will ignite air/fuel mixture. High performance long duration cams open the intake valves earlier than the stock one. This is the main reason why modified engines tend to backfire through the carburetor more frequently than stock engines.

Intake manifold air leak:

A common and continuing problem with engines is air leaks around the junction of the manifold and the cylinder head. Carburetor/manifold leaks are much less common. An air leak can cause carburetor backfiring.

Other symptoms of an air leak include a slow return to idle or an irregular idle.  

Carburetor jetting:

Excessively lean carburetor settings can contribute to backfiring. If the mixture is too lean, it may burn very slowly and unevenly. This condition, in turn, may result in burning mixture remaining in the cylinder until the beginning of the next intake stroke when it can ignite the incomming air/fuel mixture.

A too-small or partially blocked pilot jet can bring about this condition.

A partial vacuum in the fuel tank can reduce fuel flow and bring about a lean condition. Gas cap that incorporate a one-way valve (for emission purposes) sometimes restricts air flow into the tank. This restriction can result in a partial vacuum and fuel flow restriction.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 05/13/12 at 05:12:58

Backfires in Exhaust

Note:

It is normal for many high performance exhaust systems to moderately backfire or pop when the throttle is closed from mid-to-high rpm. In fact, one should expect a well-tuned high performance engine to "pop" and "crackle" when the throttle is closed at high rpm.

The popping is a result of the air/fuel mixture becoming very lean when the throttle is closed and the engine is rotating well above idle speed. It is also necessary that the exhaust system have rather open mufflers.

Why This (normally) Happens:

1)      When the throttle valve is in the idle position, fuel does not flow out of the main system (needle, needle jet, main jet). Fuel is only delivered to the engine by the pilot (idle) system.
2)      The combined effect of the closed throttle and elevated engine rpm is to create a fairly strong vacuum in the intake manifold. This vacuum, in turn, causes a high air flow rate through the small gap formed by the throttle valve and carburetor throat.
3)      Under these conditions the pilot (idle) system cannot deliver enough fuel to create a normal, combustible air/fuel ratio. The mixture becomes too lean to burn reliably in the combustion chamber. It gets sent into the exhaust system unburned and collects there.
4)      When the odd firing of the lean mixture does occur, it is sent, still burning, into the exhaust system where it sometimes ignites the raw mixture that has collected ---- the exhaust then pops or backfires.

Other possible causes:

Air Leaks:

Any source of fresh air into the exhaust system can create or worsen the conditions that bring about exhaust backfiring. The most common entry point is the junction of the header pipes and mufflers. Even a small air leak can dramatically increase the intensity or likelihood of exhaust system backfiring.

A high temperature silicone sealant, as can be found in many auto parts stores, may be used to seal the pipe/muffler junction.

Lean Carburetion:

While exhaust system popping may be considered normal, it is certainly made worse by an overly lean idle circuit.

Be sure that your carburetor's pilot jet is the correct size and that the idle air mixture screw is correctly adjusted before looking for other causes of popping.

Ignition:

If exhaust system popping  is very loud, irregular and accompanied by loss of power, then you should suspect that the ignition system is not performing as it should. If, for some reason, the ignition sometimes fires at the wrong time, then exhaust popping can become very energetic (loud). Look for failing high tension leads (plug wire), failing ignition coils and especially switches or connectors as possible causes.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 05/13/12 at 06:10:57

Its NOT the carb, because he switched carbs and its still a problem.

There is a big difference tween backfiring on closed throttle than opening the throttle. Exhaust leakage is not causing backfiring on opening the throttle.

The problem is ignition misfiring, or late ign timing.....or valves leaking, or valve timing.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #27 - 05/17/12 at 23:08:47

problem solved, After 3days of taking carb off and on checking and cleaning every time spotless I decided to poke fuse wire down the jets, guess what,the pilot jet was blocked and i mean blocked, you wouldnt beleive the crap that came out it was solid with the stuff.

Happy days again all running perfect again Thank you guys for all your help and concern Best wishes to you all  Smiley Smiley Cool Smiley Smiley Thank you Thank you Thank you

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 05/18/12 at 02:55:18

mmg123 wrote on 05/17/12 at 23:08:47:
problem solved, After 3days of taking carb off and on checking and cleaning every time spotless I decided to poke fuse wire down the jets, guess what,the pilot jet was blocked and i mean blocked, you wouldnt beleive the crap that came out it was solid with the stuff.

Happy days again all running perfect again Thank you guys for all your help and concern Best wishes to you all  Smiley Smiley Cool Smiley Smiley Thank you Thank you Thank you

Y E A ! !   Cheesy

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #29 - 05/23/12 at 23:01:43

Now this i dont beleive, Bike has run A1 for three days now, i dont get it its started bucking, jerking and runing rough ideling nuts  :'( Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:27:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfireing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.