Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Stratolaunch plane / spaceship. (Read 143 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
New Stratolaunch plane / spaceship.
12/13/11 at 18:33:33

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New Stratolaunch plane / spaceship.
Reply #1 - 12/13/11 at 22:00:23

I aren't in earth orbit now?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 12/16/11 at 12:01:26

Burt Rutan is a genius in engineering.  Remember the Voyager that flew around the world, non-stop?  One of his designs.

Paul Allen certainly has the money to fund it, so this combination might just make it happen.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 12/16/11 at 13:13:58

+1

Burt Rutan could have quit after Spaceship 1 and he'd still be a hero in my book.  The dude is just plain awesome.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 12/19/11 at 10:40:06

Forgot to mention that the idea of launching rockets from airplanes certainly isn't new, although this modern technology will make it easier.

Chuck Yeager's Bell X-1 was launched from a B-29 in 1947 to be the first to exceed Mach 1.

The X-15 series of flights were launched from a B-52.  Both of these experimental airplanes were rocket powered.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 12/19/11 at 11:37:24

China launched rockets from bigger rockets over 400 years ago.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 12/19/11 at 20:33:08

bill67 wrote on 12/19/11 at 11:37:24:
China launched rockets from bigger rockets over 400 years ago.

So did the ancient astronauts.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 12/20/11 at 00:41:58

I still have to catch an astronaut to ask, so may I ask anyone who's got pilot's wings...

If I throw a paper airlpane, its speed and path are determined by weight (mass), lift and drag.

So... why shouldn't NASA or anybody else experiment with a design reminiscent of the Concorde, or the SST ?
By comparison, the former Shuttle looks like a brick with stubby wings...

My vision is that of a plane which can take off with jets, reach a certain altitude, rockets kick in and propel into space.

The "spaceplane" would then manoeuver with rockets, prepare re-entry and allow itself to glide down to earth, re-igniting the jets at a suitable altitude, fly like a jet and land at a regular airport... er, spaceport (why not an airport ?).

Thoughts, Jerry ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 12/20/11 at 06:24:35

That would require two sets of engines, and two fuel systems. To get all that off the ground and into space would take a whole lot of the fuels. Then there would be much less room for payload, and therefore would not be cost effective, raising the cost per pound of payload to astronomical levels.(pun intended) Wink
BTW I was an avid fan of the X15 program.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 12/20/11 at 07:04:49

Maurizio -

Getting out of the atmosphere isn't the major problem; it's getting back in and surviving re-entry.  We all saw what just a little hole in the heat shield can cause - catastrophic in-flight breakup in the last shuttle accident.  There is less than a 1 degree window of approach angle - too shallow and you skip off of the atmosphere back into space; too steep and you are going too fast for any heat shield to keep the craft from burning up.

So the idea of a space plane, while interesting, has a long way to go.  Rutan's Spaceship 1 used a flap type system to re-position the tail and provide drag to slow the craft for re-entry.  I doubt that the mechanical complexity of such a solution will work for large ships, or be reliable enough for commercial use.  Spaceship 1 also didn't achieve orbit; it flew just to the edge of space in a sub-orbital flight.  Think of the fate of the occupants if the re-positioner failed to operate correctly; staying in space until your oxygen ran out, or commiting suicide by re-entering.

Going into space presents challenges that are still mind boggling, even to the engineers.  Think of how quickly airplanes evolved; only 40 years from the Wright Brothers to the first jets, and no computers for the engineers, nor even an in-depth understanding of aerodynamics for the first 30 years.  All because airplane engineering really isn't all that complex for sub-sonic flight.

Yet in the 50 years of manned space flight, even with modern engineering and powerful computers, we're still advancing only by baby steps.  I once personally chatted with Gene Cernan, the last of the Apollo astronauts to walk on the moon.  He told me that all of them who went there are still amazed that they never killed a crew in flight (only Apollo fatalities were on the ground, in the fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew on the pad during a routine test).  We did see in Apollo 13 how vulnerable they really were.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 12/21/11 at 05:19:31

Jerry, hat is my very point )and keep in mind I am an outsider, not to say "ignorant" in the matter, but

"Getting out of the atmosphere isn't the major problem; it's getting back in and surviving re-entry.  We all saw what just a little hole in the heat shield can cause - catastrophic in-flight breakup in the last shuttle accident.  There is less than a 1 degree window of approach angle - too shallow and you skip off of the atmosphere back into space; too steep and you are going too fast for any heat shield to keep the craft from burning up."

Are you sure this also doesn't have to do with mass/surface ratio ? In other words, a brick will drop straight down, and a brick with wings will drop in a manoeuverable trajectory, but what about a "quasi-plane"?

While I do realize, that, as ArtTeacher points out, I am asking for duplicate propulsion and fuel systems, it is just as true I am daydreaming about something which would NOT require booster rockets, a launch pad or anything which even vaguely resembles Cape Canaveral.

We have been using 1930's philosophy by launching payload straight up vertically, instead of allowing it to climb using lift.

Of course, I'm no Leonardo of the rocket age, I'm just asking...

...I'm tired of seeing a naked Emperor strut about in underwear... Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #11 - 12/24/11 at 06:20:35

yup, saw the article last week, amazing.

...anyone interested in the "secret space program"
check this video/interview out, it's quite entertaining
and well thorth the 60 min if just for the "open mindedness
factor" of even contamplaning all this as a real posibility.

or watch here: http://www.redicecreations.com/TV/2011/RITV-ep5.php

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:32:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Stratolaunch plane / spaceship.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.