Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LITIUM BATTERIES ANYONE?? (Read 471 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: LITIUM BATTERIES ANYONE??
Reply #15 - 12/12/11 at 09:38:09

I think that since my vintage roadster project is at least as much about form as it is about function, and I definitely want to keep that rear space in the frame completely open, AND I'm not afraid at all to push start a bike that is likely to be one of the lightest weight bikes I've ever owned... I'm going to go for it and try the tiny battery.
Worst case scenario, I've got to push start it a few times and then upgrade to something bigger if it doesn't work out. I can totally live with that.

It's all just pie in the sky right now. It'll be Spring before I'm actually riding the thing, I just wanted to know for fabrication purposes right now...

Cheers Guys!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/12/11 at 11:24:19

I think I would add a battery moniter.
This is one time you want to know if your charger is working.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 12/12/11 at 12:59:57

verslagen1 wrote on 12/12/11 at 11:24:19:
I think I would add a battery moniter.
This is one time you want to know if your charger is working.

Great idea!  There are lots of ways to do this that would have an appearance compatible with whatever your project will look like.
 -- Simply an idiot light that comes on below 13 volts.
 -- Small, old-style, ammeter or voltmeter in the back of the headlight shell.
 -- If the battery will be in view, mount something small right on the battery.  How machine like!

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/13/11 at 09:52:29

Gyrobob wrote on 12/12/11 at 12:59:57:
verslagen1 wrote on 12/12/11 at 11:24:19:
I think I would add a battery moniter...

Great idea!....

Thanks Guys! Yes indeed, that is a good idea. Do you guys have any recommendations for one? I've never used one before.

I like the idea of having an extra idiot light; we haven't gotten anywhere near the wiring as yet, but we will need to find or build in a mount for the stock idiot lights at some point; it'll be easy enough to add an extra one in.

I might mount them into the headlight bucket, if I can cram all the wiring in with the speedo. Otherwise I might drill some small holes into the top triple tree, and mount them directly in there...

The battery is going to be installed underneath the swingarm pivot; built into that bracket that holds the CA Charcoal canister; just like Boule'tard did in his "Mini Battery Install" thread.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259644714
The only difference is that this battery will be even MORE mini...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 12/13/11 at 10:06:01

Kuryakyn LED Battery Gauge

I'm sure there's others

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 12/13/11 at 10:11:17

verslagen1 wrote on 12/13/11 at 10:06:01:
....I'm sure there's others

Yeah, but that looks pretty sexy!
Thanks Sir! I'll check it out...

OK, I'm back!
And unlike a lot of their products, it's actually a little cheaper than a lot of the other ones I looked at. WOO HOO!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 12/13/11 at 10:22:44

Found this one from a ROYAL ENFIELD that will look the part, and is actually a couple of bucks cheaper....
Hmmmm......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-Royal-Enfield-Bullet-Military-Volt-Meter-Gauge-/23...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 12/13/11 at 11:26:17

Certainly looks more antique, but that's an amp meter.  It'll tell you it's charging... when it is.  I'd want to know when I walked up to a bike whether it'll start or do I have to push it.

Not that it'll look the part, but function will be more precise with the LED meter.  But before you got it, I might want to see what voltages came from the little battery and see just where it would quit.  The LED meter may not have a good range to be useable.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 12/13/11 at 12:54:11

teabowl13 wrote on 12/13/11 at 10:22:44:
Found this one from a ROYAL ENFIELD that will look the part, and is actually a couple of bucks cheaper....
Hmmmm......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-Royal-Enfield-Bullet-Military-Volt-Meter-Gauge-/23...

I like the looks of the old style ammeter, mounted in the back of the headlight like most of the world's motorcycles in the 1950's.

The one thing I don't like about an ammeter is that you have to run a thick wire from the charging source up to the meter and then back to the battery.  The meter has to be in series in the line that charges the battery.  That makes for a long thick wire.  This is why sometimes you'll see an ammeter mounted very near or even on the battery.

Ultralight aircraft have different versions of small gauges.  The Mitchell series is one,.. they have a line of gauges that are about 1.3" square,.. the gauge itself is a little over an inch.  Kinda pricey though. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/minimodular.php

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 13:29:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LITIUM BATTERIES ANYONE??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.