Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To Drain or Not to Drain? (Read 273 times)
nooner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

To Drain or Not to Drain?
12/07/11 at 06:33:00

I live in Ontario, Canada and this is my first winter with my 2001 savage. Two weeks ago, I put fuel stabilizer in the tank, filled it with gas and ran it for 10 minutes.  I have removed the battery.  I plan to fire her up in mid April.  Should I also drain the carb?  Thanks.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: To Drain or Not to Drain?
Reply #1 - 12/07/11 at 06:37:45

You shouldn't need to with stabilizer.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
nooner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/07/11 at 06:50:48

arteacher wrote on 12/07/11 at 06:37:45:
You shouldn't need to with stabilizer.

Thanks arteacher.  I've read conflicting info.  If it works for you in London, it should work for me in Madoc.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/07/11 at 07:16:58

If you put a cup of gas (w/stab) in a bottle with hole in the cap out, will it evap away before you took it out of storage?

If yes then I would.  It's not a problem with it going bad but with varnish build up.

You need to fill your tank to prevent rust, not so with the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Reply #4 - 12/07/11 at 12:24:16

With the ethanol/gasoline we are using just about everywhere in the US now, I don't trust fuel stabilizers anymore. I used "Stabil" in a Craftsman riding lawn mower and a Kymco People 150 scooter and had to remove both carbs later and clean them out to get both to run (scooter) and to repair the needle and seat when it massively overfueled (the mower). I never used to have these problems when the gas had no ethanol in it. Since ethanol I have noticed a big increase in threads like: "I stored my motorcycle through the winter using stabilizer, now it won't stay running", etc, etc, etc. I live in Hawaii now and can ride year round so I won't have to use it anymore. When I still lived in Wa. State I rode year round. Knowing what I know now, I would run the gas tank low, drain it, and drain the carb for storing.

jjn

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 12/07/11 at 12:51:10

we have fairly cold and long winters here in N.H. What I usually do is fill the tank, plug in th battery tender, start the bike once a month or so. Thats all. Never had any problems with gas or carb. Just my $.02.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 12/07/11 at 14:25:49

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 12/07/11 at 12:51:10:
we have fairly cold and long winters here in N.H. What I usually do is fill the tank, plug in th battery tender, start the bike once a month or so. Thats all. Never had any problems with gas or carb. Just my $.02.

AL

was 7 deg F here nite b4 last..this is the 5th winter for my 06..
never used stabil, low current charger some times..
couple o brews and out to the carriage house every three weeks or so
to fire er up and get the oil up to temp..helps fight cabin fever!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #7 - 12/07/11 at 18:01:49

I live in Florida and I talked with a tanker yanker off-loading at a Pilot truck-stop and he told me they can't keep the rubber gaskets in their hoses as the ethanol eats them up.  I pulled tankers for a lot of years and I think I've hauled just about every chemical that Ashland Chemical made and we never had a problem with any chemical eating the rubber gaskets. We did have to change to neoprene gaskets with certain acids.
These gas jockies off-load by gravity in probably 1/2 hour or less and the ethanol is eating their gaskets in that short of time. What's it doing to our bikes, cars and trucks?
                                                                              Ride Safe
                                                                              Marine5317

IP Logged
BobR
YaBB Newbies

Who said retirement
has to be boring??

St. John's, NL
Reply #8 - 12/08/11 at 08:30:05

I put Stabil in a full tank and run it a bit. Take out battery and put on cover. The bike is in an unheated shed. Haven't had a problem. We get all kinds of weather in NL.

1986 Savage 650
1983 Honda V45 Magna (project)
  IP Logged
BobR
YaBB Newbies

Who said retirement
has to be boring??

St. John's, NL
Reply #9 - 12/08/11 at 18:25:36

P.S. You should change the oil before you put it away.

1986 Savage 650
1983 Honda V45 Magna (project)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 12/08/11 at 19:35:28

I got a Kawasaki W 650, an 02 model. The accelerator pump diaphragm was eaten thru on about 30% of it. Its about the size of a quarter & costs $25.00.. That carb sits drained,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/09/11 at 19:37:22

i fill both bikes and put battery tender on but i start both bikes every 3 weeks all winter and let them run so they get hot enough to dry exhaust out and never had a problem and tank cant rust full of fuel. Shell V Power has the least amount of ethanol in it so i fill both bikes and change oil in both bikes

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 12/11/11 at 04:57:12

Anyone,...I mean anyone,....drop the bowl off your carb and show me one iota of evidence of todays 10% fuel causing any problem whatsoever !!
I have showed you all pics of mine,....that sets every winter from Nov to April,...no stabil, no aditives of any kind. All these stories and hearsay is just plain BS. It has been proven time and again that the 10% eth fuel today does not varnish or gum or gell or anything else, like the leaded fuel of yesteryears use to do.
And all the brainwashing that has many using aviation fuel in their 2 strokes is the biggest joke that ever hit this country too,....and yes I have years of proof for that too.
I bought a new Honda generator, and the sales guy said, "we recomment you run aviation fuel only, but no, it is not required"
Now what does that tell me ? Oh, BTW, that was 5 yrs ago, and it sets for at least 6 month a year,.....no stabil either.
But believing what you want to believe is what keeps this country going,......or is it ? Roll Eyes

I just wish I had bought stock in stabil,.....and aviation fuel.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 12/15/11 at 21:22:34

We have a gas station with non-ethanol gas up the street and it seems like my sickle was running better when I was out of town and had to get ethanol gas... might just be the elevations though...

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 12/16/11 at 17:50:39

I put fuel stabilizer in afull tank and run it for five minutes or so. Put the battery in a heated basenent and run a trickle charge on it. No problems ever. You did just fine.

Where are you in Ontario Canada? We have another member in London, (Ontario Canada for those of you not familliar with this area.)

And there used to be a member in Sarnia, but I have not heard from him for quite a while now.

I live in Michigan about 20 miles north of the Blue Water international Bridge which is about 63 miles west of London, and 20 miles north. I do a lot of riding in Ontario.

So where are you? anywhere close?  Smiley

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 11:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To Drain or Not to Drain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.