Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Flat black crankcase paint (Read 405 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Flat black crankcase paint
Reply #15 - 12/06/11 at 22:49:12

Nice job Johnboy

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 12/07/11 at 05:06:27

What color did you use to get that textured black effect?
JohnBoy wrote on 12/06/11 at 18:07:41:
I used Rustoleum to paint a store sign on glass in FL. The sign was facing the afternoon sun for six months out of the year and held up for ten years. No flaking no peeling three hurricanes...and all out of a spraycan. If you are interested in seeing how it looks on a motorcycle tank look through the past post for "rustoleum" posted on 2/6/2010.
http://picasaweb.google.com/crutcher.john/RattleCanPaintJob?feat=directlink
The entire tank was painted with different colors and textures of Rustoleum rattle cans.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #17 - 12/07/11 at 06:13:31

wombat wrote on 12/07/11 at 05:06:27:
JohnBoy wrote on 12/06/11 at 18:07:41:
I used Rustoleum to paint a store sign on glass in FL. The sign was facing the afternoon sun for six months out of the year and held up for ten years. No flaking no peeling three hurricanes...and all out of a spraycan. If you are interested in seeing how it looks on a motorcycle tank look through the past post for "rustoleum" posted on 2/6/2010.
http://picasaweb.google.com/crutcher.john/RattleCanPaintJob?feat=directlink
The entire tank was painted with different colors and textures of Rustoleum rattle cans.

Looks like "trunk paint" or do-it-yourself bed liner.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/10/11 at 21:37:37

It is a texture paint made by Rustoleum called antique iron. I got it in a spray can at Home Depot or Lowes.

I have painted a few bikes and I understand the process. The reason I used Rustoleum spray cans was that I was trying to make a point to the people on this site. Some here were quoting paint prices as high as 2000.00...Hell I bought the bike for 1900.00
If you are willing to spend a little time and a lot of hand work, you can do professional work with a spray can. If memory serves I painted the tank (and most of the rest of the bike) for about 55.00. At that price you can paint it every year.
JB

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 12/10/11 at 22:01:58

I agree.
The key is in the priming and sanding; it's tedious, but if you really spend your time there and get it right, the paint will love you for it.
Then you just have to be patient with the paint; thin, smooth, even coats, and lots of them.
Practice first. A Lot!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 12/10/11 at 22:25:51

found this in the alternate universe...

http://www.66autocolor.com/SprayMax_2K_Aerosol_Auto_Paint_p/spm-mix2k.htm

2 part epoxy paint in a can.

WWW   IP Logged
beacon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 12/11/11 at 09:01:46

For those interested it is actually called "Aged Iron."

JohnBoy wrote on 12/10/11 at 21:37:37:

It is a texture paint made by Rustoleum called antique iron. I got it in a spray can at Home Depot or Lowes.

I have painted a few bikes and I understand the process. The reason I used Rustoleum spray cans was that I was trying to make a point to the people on this site. Some here were quoting paint prices as high as 2000.00...Hell I bought the bike for 1900.00
If you are willing to spend a little time and a lot of hand work, you can do professional work with a spray can. If memory serves I painted the tank (and most of the rest of the bike) for about 55.00. At that price you can paint it every year.
JB

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #22 - 12/11/11 at 18:44:36

This thread is really about painting the stock S40 crankcase flat black SUCCESSFULLY, lets reserve painting tanks/fenders when I get to it  Cheesy

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 12/12/11 at 04:31:18

Here is a tip for you...
before you start painting your bike, go to Good Will and buy an old steel cookie sheet for 1.00, then try your different paints primers and clears on that. Its better to discover that paints don't mix or that you really don't like the color "before" you put it on the bike Smiley
I only used Rustoleum products on my bike so that I wouldn't have as much of an issue with paint interaction...and I still did the above.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #24 - 12/12/11 at 06:22:09

That's a good tip, but I don't plan on making anything pretty at the moment.. my shoes seem to burn to the crank case every now and then...  Cheesy

IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #25 - 12/12/11 at 08:43:33

okay, so I'm planning on doing this over the winter too.  I'll be painting the caliper, rear drum, and the entire engine.  Basically any aluminum I can get to easily because the clear on it is all starting to flake off/pit.  Couple questions:

1) Am I looking for very high temp paint or "engine paint"?  The engine paint says good up to 500° I think.  Do our little air-cooled engines get hotter than that?
2) Is it better to paint the engine with the covers on, or take it apart and tape it all off?
3) Can I paint the carb to match or will this alter/ruin its performance?
3)  Any other suggestions opinions accepted!!

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #26 - 12/12/11 at 09:45:24

AlphaBarney wrote on 12/12/11 at 08:43:33:
okay, so I'm planning on doing this over the winter too.  I'll be painting the caliper, rear drum, and the entire engine.  Basically any aluminum I can get to easily because the clear on it is all starting to flake off/pit.  Couple questions:

1) Am I looking for very high temp paint or "engine paint"?  The engine paint says good up to 500° I think.  Do our little air-cooled engines get hotter than that?
2) Is it better to paint the engine with the covers on, or take it apart and tape it all off?
3) Can I paint the carb to match or will this alter/ruin its performance?
3)  Any other suggestions opinions accepted!!

1)  Lower temperature engine paint is fine unless you're painting the exhaust. You could use it on the head just to be safe.

2) It depends. Do you want all your bolt heads painted too? If you like that look, then go for it.

3) As long as you tape off the intake, exit and fuel and vacuum nipples, there's no problem -- assuming you like your bolts painted too.

Get some Rustoleum Clear Coat Remover to strip the clear coat off before you repaint. Spray, wait for it to blister, wipe off the clear coat, repeat until you get it all from the nooks and crannies. Who knows, once you get the scabby clear coat off, you might decide to leave it that way. And as I've said elsewhere, clean clean clean before you paint, and use a primer, which is also available in a high-temp version, on the shelf next to the high-temp paint.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #27 - 12/12/11 at 14:26:32

Thanks Moto!  I'm not too worried about the bolts.  I was planning on putting together a set of SS set like this to replace the originals.  The originals are starting to show some rust; thought this would go well with the blacked out engine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-1986-UP-LS650-S40-STAINLESS-ENGINE-BOLT-KIT-/1...

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #28 - 12/13/11 at 22:28:25

Barney, I've always liked engines with distinct bolts of a different color. Can't say why unless it looks more business-like or maybe like it's built for work, not phtos.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 12/14/11 at 05:09:17

I once painted the side cases of a 250 Harley with black wrinkle paint from a spray can (the kind you used to see on old typewriters). It wasn't sold as high heat but it looked really good for two years...before someone stole the bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:20:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flat black crankcase paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.