Send Topic Print
Ruining pants (Read 190 times)
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ruining pants
12/05/11 at 07:44:12

I have messed up 2 pairs of pants on my Savage due to heat.  

I'm carrying a bit extra round the middle so pants that fit tend to be a bit baggy in the legs.  I had to ride 50 miles in 40 degree weather to go take my driving test last month so I was wearing pants made out of a wind breaker material instead of my usual yard work khakis or jeans.  Towards the end of the ride, while sitting at a stop light, I realized the inside of my right pant leg had melted near the ankle.  (I was wondering why it seemed more drafty after I got into town than it was while I was running 70 down the highway Tongue)

After 2000 miles of riding, my yard work khakis have developed a hole at the ankle.  What I think is happening is: my pants legs are baggy and end up resting against the engine when I'm stopped.  (mostly my right one cause I tend to leave my right foot on the brake and put my left foot on the ground), my engine can get pretty darn hot by the end of a long ride.

Have any of you had this problem?  Have you come up with a fix that doesn't look as goofy as tying a piece of string around your pants leg?  I tried tucking my pants leg into my boot but it always comes out with the wind.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Re: Ruining pants
Reply #1 - 12/05/11 at 08:10:14

Highway bars, or replace the foot pegs with Kurican Switchblades.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/05/11 at 08:13:36

An elastic strap with velcro. Heck with what people think,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/05/11 at 08:18:13

Must be seriously baggy, never had a problem with burning my pants at the ankle.  Only at the calf while foot was on the ground during fill ups.

One of the methods I used as a cyclist was to clip the hem with a binder clip.
This allows you to select the fit rather than snugging it up tight.  Just fold the flap over and clip at the hem.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 12/05/11 at 08:23:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/05/11 at 08:13:36:
An elastic strap with velcro. Heck with what people think,,

Rubber band, velcro, or the purpose-made elasticized bands sold in bicycle stores.  Or you could take off the heat shield (since it seems to be doing you no good) and replace it with pipe wrap.  Oooo, or wear chaps!

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 12/05/11 at 08:31:42

I too have had your problem...I ride as often as possible and 4 out of 5 days a work week I have to wear dress pants or slacks of some kind. These pants are not very heat resistant and I have melted a few pairs riding back and forth to work.

I have used rubber bands at times to help keep my pants away from the exhaust., but I like the binder clip idea from Vers. I think I will try that next. I am also still going to get some chaps for colder weather riding and extended weekend rides.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/05/11 at 10:19:08

I think I'll try the binder clip idea.  Probably less noticeable.  Plus I work in an office so they're easy to come by.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 12/05/11 at 10:54:01

Skin tight spandex?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - 12/05/11 at 11:01:11

Serowbot wrote on 12/05/11 at 10:54:01:
Skin tight spandex?... Huh...

Spandex melts, but skin tight leather would be very butch.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 12/05/11 at 11:02:30

I got tired of killing pants and I got challenged 3 years ago by a co-worker to "mistake proof" the Savage pants eating issue.   So I tried to do that.

I wrapped the pipe in the upswell area (where the stock muffler swells up to its major diameter) with two layers of fiberglass muffler wrap so that the pants hit the cooler, non melting outer surface of the muffler wrap.

Bike looks sorta on purpose, and the pants issue is gone.

Over the years the wrap and the muffler has changed and evolved, but the basic idea still works.

This pic is of the set up prior to the current one, which is done in thicker black wrap but covers the same area.   Every time I take the pipe off, I inspect the wrap and will add layers up to 3 thick before peeling it all off to start fresh.

The only time this fails to work is on the interstate when pulling off for gas on a piping hot engine -- the wrap gets hot enough to melt polyester only then and only when getting back on the bike (heat soaks through the wrap as there is no airflow to remove it).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/05/11 at 11:31:54

I've had a similar problem only with shoes and boot laces melting.  I have melted the laces on hiking boots and damaged two pairs of New Balance shoes.  It's one more reason I like the classic standard seating position.  The pegs are above the exhaust pipe(s) so the only heat hazard is when stopping.  My solution was to tuck loose shoe strings into the top of my shoes or boots and to keep my leg way out from that pipe when I am stopped.  Also I make a point of wearing jeans whenever I ride this bike.

This is the only cruiser style bike I have owned but I would guess they all have the same problem.  It is one more reason I am considering making my Savage into a standard classic style configuration.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #11 - 12/05/11 at 16:52:11

A strap with velcro. Bicyclists use thes these all the time. Or high top engineer boots that you can tuck the pants leg into the boot.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #12 - 12/07/11 at 07:34:40

I've had the same problem with scorching pant legs. My solution is a bandana tied to the bottom of the pant leg. With so many color choices you may add a jaunty flair to your attire! A bandana has many possible uses (see 'cowboys') -- such as cleaning googles, wiping spilt gas off the tank during a re-fueling, stopping bleeding, etc.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #13 - 12/07/11 at 07:56:36

houstonbofh wrote on 12/05/11 at 08:10:14:
Highway bars, or replace the foot pegs with Kurican Switchblades.

I know this is off topic, but I couldn't get a PM to you working....

Have you mounted Kuryakyn Switchblades? If so, do they require any special machining to get them to fit?

IP Logged
sdlc808
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/07/11 at 09:22:24

I commute to work M-F and always have my rain pants on, never had that problem...maybe smaller pants or more distance between leg and engine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:26:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ruining pants

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.