1930's Vintage Savage? (Read 713 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
1930's Vintage Savage?
12/05/11 at 06:02:46

Hi all, my Savage has been laid up at my "trusty old" mechanic for a long time now (so I'm either either driving or... riding another bike) and I've my mind set up to try transform the Savage into anything that either resembles a 1950s bile (either a Panhead such as the one below)

or perhaps something from the 1930's, such as this magnificient Brough Superior Police

-

My aim is to create a replica of something you don't see everyday, definitely vintage, yet with all the reliability of a modern piece of machinery.

My two "griefs" are the excessive cost of a springer front fork (even the cheapest cost $800 new, and almost as much to ship overseas and get out of Customs)
and the availability of a front GOOD drum brake.

I've been looking at enduro front forks (I need a 38mm fork) their drums are on the small size, but efficiency can't be any worse than the original disc brake...

I've already started collecting bits&bobs here and there, starting with a 4gal. tank off a HD Dyna (twin counterscrew filler caps  Smiley) but this will require a LOT of work to grind and weld and adapt to the standard frame.

I plan to keep the original seat, although a sprung seat would definitely look the part.

The front fender will be replaced with a chrome fender with the numberplate (as in the Brough pics)

The rear fender will be replaced with a full length chrome fender which I intend to have come down low (Panhead style) with all the lights and trimmings (including a rear fog light)

Handlebars... that's one problem... I'm looking at 1" bars and all I can find are either pullbacks or apehangers of different sizes... Undecided

Instrumentation will definitely come OFF the tank and onto the bars, and I'll probably use the typical 3" items you can source off fleabay...
...although the Smiths replicas really look the part...

Now... what have I left out ?  Roll Eyes

I know ! Front tire !

The current 90/90x19 just doesn't look right. I was considering replacing it with something that would look more... vintage, such as a 3.50x18 or metric equivalent (100/90x18? or even 110/90x18)
Where can I find a M/C tire comparison chart ?

Any ideas ?  Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: 1930's Vintage Savage?
Reply #1 - 12/05/11 at 07:04:06

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 12/05/11 at 07:17:05

Thanks Motobuddha  Smiley

I forgot to say, I'm also looking at a chain drive conversion.

As I understand the standard belt drive ratio is 2.95:1 (let's round this off to 3:1).

I was thinking of going 15/45 to maintain the standard ratio, and two extra sprockets to upgrade to 16/45 and 17/45, which would give respectively 2.8:1 and 2.65:1.

A spring chani tensioner would ne part of the setup.  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/05/11 at 10:03:57

I LOVE your idea...
I've been working (slowly...) on a more 1960's version of the same idea; complete with vintage tank as well and other stuff.

I found a VERY inexpensive handle bar on Fleabay: the new Triumph Bonnevilles all come with 1" bars. They have a moderate rise, and moderate pullback. They are often called "Norman Hyde" bars. That's a good way to search for them.

Here's a link to the ones I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280754254996?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

I also struggled a lot with fenders. The front was pretty easy, but I realized that for my bike the best rear fender would be a larger chrome FRONT fender turned around the other way. We settled on one from a 1976 Goldwing. A little research on the internet revealed that that model of Goldwing used the same size tire on the front wheel as I plan to have on the rear (I'm using an 18" Akriont rim in the rear, so if you are sticking with the 15" stock rear wheel, the Goldwing might not work for you, and probably isn't the style you are loking for anyway. However, I'd bet that a lot of the Harley/Big Metric cruiser front fenders might work great on your small rear tire?)

That Brough Police Bike you posted is Gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you come up with for this build...
Cheers!!

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 12/05/11 at 11:04:24

teabowl13 wrote on 12/05/11 at 10:03:57:
...so if you are sticking with the 15" stock rear wheel...

Oh, yeah, the stock 15" wheel would totally spoil the vintage look.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/05/11 at 18:32:10

These guys are here in the US. I've never used them, just looked at their stuff on line, but the do make a springer front end that will fit the Savage:

http://www.voodoovintage.com/moto.html

Scroll down the page, it looks pretty sharp, but yes, it's pricey.
You might get lucky finding something on Fleabay you could adapt, but even the used ones there seem like they are still that much or even more $$. I considered it briefly, but it was out of my league, and not the right look for my project...

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 12/06/11 at 00:23:36

A 'lil sump'in like this cool number from Germany?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 12/06/11 at 02:18:49

Thanks, Teabowl, for the lin to Voodoo Vintage. I had found their website but omitted to boolmark it and feared it lost... until you pointed me in the right direction.
Smiley

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/06/11 at 00:23:36:
A 'lil sump'in like this cool number from Germany?

http://p1.bikepics.com/2011/12/06/bikepics-2312282-full.jpg

Perry, you're very close to what I have in mind.

Imagine the bike in your pic painted black (natch) no rear seat, a spinger form and a small drum brake...
...possibly with the wire wheels painted black as well.

The rear wheel will have to stay, Italian laws are extremely strict on mods, just to give you an idea if I fit a different size tires and don't have them logged on my MC papers,
the bike will get impounded and they will force me to make the bike original again...
...even the Sportster muffler is a no-no to some LEOs...  Embarrassed

So OK for the vintage look, but I'll have to pussyfoot my way into the mods.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 12/06/11 at 05:57:22

I too would like a more vintage appearance. I don't want to make too many changes, though. I intend to remove the chromed engine caps, and am looking for a suitable front fender. I think the S40 is too small for a truly vintage look, unless you go to a different frame.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 12/06/11 at 07:10:16

Most of us are accustomed to "vintage" lloking like HD Knuckleheads, Indian Scouts or British V-twins of the era (see the Brough Superior, or the Vincent Black Shadow)

However, the bikes that "made" the '30s and '40s were mostly 350-500 singles, such as the Triumph Tiger, or many Matchless, BSA of the times... not to metion Moto Guzzi, Benelli, Gilera, Mondial, or even French Motobecane, Motosacoche and Gilette.

Without boring you or hogging server space with too many oversize pics, may I simply suggest:

Gilera Saturno 1940

MotoGuzzi Airone 250 (Police model) and/or Falcone Sport

Nimbus 1934

1939 Triumph Tiger T70 (250cc)

Some of these designs may be a bit too radical (much too "1930 style") but that's where I would like to go... Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/06/11 at 22:21:01

Those are all AMAZING bikes... I'm especially fond of the Guzzi, but the are all very cool.

Finally have the CONCEPT DRAWING for my "Vintage Roadster Savage" described here earlier... thought you might enjoy it.
There are more photos of the early stages of the project on my BikePics page...
(when I get more sleep, I'll be starting a build thread... I swear!)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 12/06/11 at 22:38:44

when you click on the link, this photo pops up in another tab, right click on it, either copy photo location in win7 or properties and copy the address, click on the image icon and paste the address in between the center brackets... this should do it for you.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/06/11 at 22:43:32

might be easier to find a vintage roller and put the engine in it.

frames often last a lot longer then the engines.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/07/11 at 04:01:42

I like this a lot, TeaBowl. Good luck with it.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 12/07/11 at 04:25:37

Hey, Teabowl, that's a VERY nice concept you've got there !

A few tips, if I may:

- the OEM front fork is a bit flimsy, 38mm forks are OK but the front disc brake is not up to it IMHO; may I suggest to experiment with a front fork off a DR 650/750.
You can drop the stems if required (i.e., clamp them to the triple tree with an inch or two showing off the top)

- do NOT apply exhaust wrap to the pipe ! Head damage is most likely.
The point is a lot of heat is diddipated off the exhaust gases from the first few inches of the exhaust pipe; if you heat wrap it, that heat will remain trapped; some will be blown out the back, resulting in hotter exhaust pipe and muffler, but most of it will remain trapped in the head and possibly warp it.
Source: various Forums where they discuss MG, Triumph (car) and Jaguar tuning for vintage racing.

..and anyway... who wants an exhaust pipe that looks like an old sweater ?

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:26:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1930's Vintage Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.