Send Topic Print
Shaking my head (Read 47 times)
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Shaking my head
12/03/11 at 11:21:05

I was at the motorcycle shop parts department and one of the guys was on the phone with someone wanting a new engine for his bike. After the parts guy explained that was something he'd need to get from a salvage yard and that it would cost about $1,500 to $2,500, he asked, "Why do you need a new motor?... Uh-huh, but what's wrong with it?... Then why do you think you need a new one?... Wouldn't you want to find out first?... It's about $80 to have a mechanic check it out... But that's a lot less than a new motor... Let me switch you over to the shop."

The other parts guy and I were shaking our heads. I said, sarcastically, "Yeah, the slightest thing goes wrong with my engine and the natural next step would be to replace it."

The parts guy replied, "Yeah, you wouldn't believe some of the calls we get here. We should start recording them."

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Shaking my head
Reply #1 - 12/03/11 at 16:34:19

In my case, I could legitimately go in and ask for a working salvage motor. No checking needs to be done. This I know. By the time I replaced the lower motor case and whatever else might be boogered up inside, plus the labor to do it, (I don't know how or have the tools needed), I'm sure it would cost more than a salvage engine straight up. Unless, of course, the salvage motor needed a bunch of work too, like cam chain and tensioner, etc., etc..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:33:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Shaking my head

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.