Send Topic Print
Winter projects (Read 244 times)
NHthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winter projects
11/26/11 at 04:11:55

Just got my 01 after reading about the RYCA, but decided instead to create a retro Gold Star--influenced ride.  Saddle's redone to the classic British flat profile-- very comfortable.  I've got Fatboy bars which I will shorten and install.  
My questions-- what's the best way to paint my cylinder and head and highlight the edges of the fins on the head like some L40's I've seen?
How can I shed 40 or so lbs. (from the bike) without sacrificing two-up so I can put 'er on the back of my camper next summer?
Thanks for your help

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Winter projects
Reply #1 - 11/26/11 at 06:27:40

Paint the jug, then used a block & sand the edge of the fins.

YOu can ditch a few pounds real quick by ditching that OEM muffler. Fenders are metal, not plastic, I dont want a bike missing a fender, others seem to dig it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 11/26/11 at 06:31:04

Ahhh, a fellow Goldstar fan !

I used to own a '56 Goldstar flat tracker and a lot of what I've done to my Savage has been to recreate some of the Goldstar feel, though the Savage is not designed and built to do what the Goldstar was capable of.
The Savage does respond well to some massaging though.
Yep.
A little carb, cam, hi comp piston, cyl treat, exhaust, suspension, brakes, just a little tinkering here and there....you know.   Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/26/11 at 08:18:27

A little more difficult to keep the classic profile and shed weight.
as said a new muff will save about 10#
swap out the fenders for aluminum ones, those fender rails are pretty heavy too.
You could go aluminum rims.
And that leaves side tins for some addition wt.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/26/11 at 08:23:32

HEY MAN!
That sounds really exciting... I'm working on something really similar, and LONG over due for posting up a proper build thread, but I too was inspired by the RYCA idea, although I wanted to take it in a different direction.
There's a Savage that was put together in England I believe that has that kind of flavor: more vintage roadster than Cafe bike. Never found the builder or any info except the photo, but it was great inspiration. I'll post it below.
I'm in Portland Maine, and my buddy, Jay who works in Mass is doing most of the build for me (I'm the brains, he's the brawn...) We are using Ryca's basic geometry, although almost none of their parts. A vintage 1969 Suzuki T350 tank, 18" Shouldered Akront rims front and rear, a 1960's Hodaka headlight with the speedo built in, a really cool BSA Rocket taillight, a '76 Goldwing chrome front fender will be mounted in reverse onto the swingarm to act as the rear fender, with a '72 Kawasaki S2 chrome front fender up front, and a bunch of other shiz-nit... Triumph Bonneville bars, flipped over, clubman style, Dyna exhaust, custom battery box mounted below the swingarm where the Calif. evap. canister is supposed top mount... OH, and of course a chain conversion....

Virtually every single idea we've incorporated, someone has done here and posted complete instructions and info. I have a whole list of realy cool threads book marked from the Tech section and other parts of this forum. EVERYTHING YOU EVER NEED TO KNOW IS RIGHT IN HERE!!

(And I owe a huge thanks to all of you guys for everything you've posted... This forum is dangerously amazing; a magnificent time sucker!)

I haven't started a real build thread yet, because right now al I have to look at is a stripped down old '94 Savage (bought in good running shape for $250...)

I'll try to post a drawing soon... either the site or my computer is being buggy right now....

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/28/11 at 10:13:58

Sounds like a great project!  I used to ride British bikes and I still prefer the flat classic style seat.  When cruising I like to slide back on the seat and stretch my legs occaisionally.  I don't like being locked into one position by a stepped seat.

I would love to see some pictures of your seat and how it looks mounted on the Savage.  I would like to learn more about how you built and mounted the new seat.

Have you moved the pegs back to a classic style position?  Hope you post some progress reports and good luck on this project.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #6 - 11/28/11 at 10:43:18

NHthumper,
   I shed about 50 Lbs off my 2000 savage pretty easily and still have  the two up option. Definitely take the advice of the serious thumpers and get a new muffler, the dyna and the reverse cone from RYCA are good starting points. Then remove the belt guards, exhaust shields, front fender (replace with fork brace), fender struts (& backrest for the pre 2004 models), saddle bag brackets if you got 'em, air box (replace with cone or other filter) and side frame covers. Now you are off to a good start but if you are wanting even more weight off then grab your cutting wheel and grinder. There are lots of tabs you wont be needing anymore they can go. Also, you can remove the taillight and cut off the excess rear fender and mount a side mount or cats eye taillight (one of the cheap light plastic ones). Keep in mind that the rear seat is going to vibrate worse than an old magic fingers bed but you will also gain some time on the 0-60. Good luck

IP Logged
McMillan

Thumpers rule
Harleys drool.

Belleville, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 11/29/11 at 05:05:54

Remove the big hunk of metal under the frame. You will have to then make an exhaust mount to replace it but it is a fair chunk of weight.

This thing

« Last Edit: 11/29/11 at 07:38:36 by McMillan »  

'97, 6" risers, rigid frame, 3.5" rear drop, 2.5" exhaust, custom seat, Arlen Ness mirrors, custom 10" Z bars, fuel tank raised 2" in front and lowered 1" at rear, Jockey shifter.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/30/11 at 07:29:15

OR...
Another option would be to keep that thing, and use it top mount a new, smaller battery down low in the frame; chucking the entire stock batter and battery box... Complete instructions in THIS POST HERE!!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259644714

McMillan wrote on 11/29/11 at 05:05:54:
Remove the big hunk of metal under the frame. You will have to then make an exhaust mount to replace it but it is a fair chunk of weight.

This thing
http://p1.bikepics.com/2011/11/29/bikepics-2309028-full.jpg

IP Logged
NHthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/04/11 at 13:48:18

WOW!
Just checked back in for the first time since my post.  I shouldn't be surprised that so many of us have had the same goals.  
I'll post a photo of my reworked saddle soon. I'd also appreciate photos of  completed bikes with this concept-- why should I re-invent the wheel?
Christmas blessings to all, Peter

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 12/04/11 at 14:37:18

McMillan wrote on 11/29/11 at 05:05:54:

This thing
http://p1.bikepics.com/2011/11/29/bikepics-2309028-full.jpg

Or Swiss cheese the hell out of it.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:18:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter projects