Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confused?? changed oil and mileage dropped WHY?? (Read 184 times)
jassi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Confused?? changed oil and mileage dropped WHY??
11/21/11 at 19:21:29

Guys..
Need ur expert advice on something that is baffling me..
I m not an engine expert by any measure..and i decided to change engine oil on my 2006 Suzuki Savage and i used the MOBIL 1 RACING 4T 10W-40 4-CYLE MOTORCYCLE OIL..
Not sure if i did the right thing but since thenthe mileage has dropped from llike 55 to around 40..
Not sure if coincidentally bad gas or did i use the wrong oil??
NEED YOUR HELP.
Will appreciate information

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Confused?? changed oil and mileage dropped WHY
Reply #1 - 11/21/11 at 19:32:32

Oil's ok

check to see if you knocked off the vac hose or something

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 11/21/11 at 19:39:42

Mobil 1 has been lambasted a couple of times in the last 2 years for changing their old successful oil formulations on several of their products and not telling anyone until folks started oil testing the "failures" and asking questions ....

Just keep this in mind as you roll forward.

This is only a suggestion and it is in the nature of an experiment.   Run the oil until your next oil change and keep written track of your miles per gallon.  Some find that a new sump of oil requires "break in miles" especially after an oil change to a new brand, so your mileage may creep back up for you.

Then next oil change try some known good Savage full synthetic motorcycle oils, Rotella Syn 5w40 being what I personally use and some here on the list claim increased mileage and smoother shifting using it in stock motors

(my motor ain't stock by a good bit, so I cannot say much about the mileage I get 'cept it is really really bad for several know intentional good reasons)

What oil did you use before?   What oil did you change over from?

Verslagen, if he is running a vac petcock and knocked his vac hose off ...

1)   would it run at all once the bowl went dry?

2)   does this class as "yet another vac petcock failure mode" for the failure modes lists ??

==============    Required Statement of Potential Oil War Risks

Earl, zat you, buddy?   Hey, whut's that tickin' sound a commin' frum at yer feet?   Why are your boot soles a  tickin' & a leaking smoke all angry like?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/22/11 at 05:00:52

You can think anything you want to, but the oil did not cause that change in mpg,.....trust me.

If you really did have a drop from 55 to 40,....on the same bike,....under all the same conditions, you have a serious problem,......trust me on that too !

It is easy for one bike and rider to get 40, and another bike and rider to get 55. But you can bet your last $ it won't be under the all the same conditions.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 11/22/11 at 06:06:18

Clutch slipping?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 11/22/11 at 07:22:29

If you do mileage calculations, be careful to record both the miles that you get and the fuel you put in -- expect variations due to road and wrist action.

I actually wrote a spreadsheet to do mine for me, just plug in the two numbers for this fill up and it would calculate the miles ridden from the last fill up and apply the gasoline needed to get to a full tank (gas used) for this same period.

I learned a lot about my own personal "road and wrist" and the resulting gas mileage that I get varies a lot according to where I am going and how fast I want to get there.   I am the major cause of variation.   Your 10 mpg change that you are chasing falls easily within my personal road and wrist range of variation.

I bet the gas mileage variation you have seen is the same thing, unless (like Verslagen said) your vac petcock is misbehaving on you again.

Grin    He put some racin' oil in his bike, whut did you think he did wid his wrist?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 11/22/11 at 07:44:53

A few random thoughts that might help explain the loss of mpg:

New oil has its full rated viscosity which puts the most drag on your engine parts.  Old oil is generally thinner.  This is comparing oils of the same starting weight, i.e. 20W50.

If you went from 10W30 to 10W40 (or any higher weight) that would also reduce mpg.

The weather's cooling off, perhaps that also affected the average thickness when running.  Short trips make this worse because the engine spends very little time at full operating temp.

How many tanks are you basing the mpg on?  If only one or two.. that just could just be one particular gas pump (or tank of gas, or an inconsistent fill).

I would not worry about the loss of mpg being caused by the oil.. it's either an error or will resolve itself.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/22/11 at 08:20:58

Jassi, are you still there buddy?

Just pick up one foot and move it off the land mine, then wait a few minutes and gently move the other one.

If it ain't blowed up into an oil war yet, it ain't ever gonna do it.  

Folks is being nice fer the Thanksgiving season.

Type something so we know you are still there ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/22/11 at 08:49:41

The next question would be... how much oil did you put in?

Too much could blow out the breather tube and clog the air filter.
Sending your mpg into the crapper.

WWW   IP Logged
royblueboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/22/11 at 15:33:15

I buy my 92 octane (no ethenol) five gal at a time. I fill up at home and measure the amount it takes . I usually get 55 to 60 mpg. I do not beleive that the oil makes that much difference. good luck.

2005 650 pearl,memphis windshield.vic 100 muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/22/11 at 16:03:42

Am I noticing a pattern? We had the ridiculous symptoms in the "I Need HELP' thread.. now, some guy loses 15 MPG on an oil change? Gimme a break,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/22/11 at 17:50:12

Justin, the wise older list member waits patently until page #7 of a 6 page long shifting symptom witch hunt before he calls bovine droppings on it ....

He also looks at the last 25 posts from the poster to see if he has any other existence beyond the symptomatic thread.

In this case, let the boy gently step off the land mine and escape with his pants legs (and feet) intact.   He is a newbie who posts in the same manner on other threads.    He just happened to ask an interesting question on a potentially sore topic.

Yes, I think he saw a 10-15 mph variance from normal -- but I can churn out a 20 mpg difference at will from when I am slow cruising in 5th gear near the speed limit to when I am playing "mountain roads" with the Dragon crew.

And who knows, mebbe his Mobile 1 stuff actually got changed recently -- who knows with Mobil any more since they jerked out the ZDDP and partially replaced it with micron fine moly powder and Teflon ......

And he never did say what he used for oil previously.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/22/11 at 18:23:53

Im just a grumpy ol man,, &, there are some who have accused me of being a cynic..Naaah, they are wrong, Im just experienced & I no longer expect much out of people,..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 11/22/11 at 18:55:42

Justin, I appreciate your lowered expectations of me. I was getting so tired of being perfect. Happy Thanksgiving, you old coot.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 11/22/11 at 20:08:54

Yeah, Happy Thanksgiving to all you cynical old coots, even them wrong headed ones who love vac petcocks and Seafoam and Klotz  .....

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Confused?? changed oil and mileage dropped WHY??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.