Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winterizing your bike... (Read 168 times)
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winterizing your bike...
11/16/11 at 19:41:46

I would like to know how you all go about winterizing your savage/s40's? Besides Seafoam/Stabil and battery tender, what other procedures make for an uneventful spring startup and ride?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Winterizing your bike...
Reply #1 - 11/16/11 at 19:49:37

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/16/11 at 20:23:23

Wax the tank so the ice dont stick & keep goin..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 11/17/11 at 22:12:48

Put on gloves and an extra long sleeved shirt.  Grin  Ain't Texas nice?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 11/18/11 at 07:55:12

I think this winter I'll just add stabil and put on wooden blocks and cover it. I'm thinking on keeping the battery on the bike, I have charger cables hangin from battery at all times. I'll give it a good charge every other week and get it started. or should I take battery off and leave on tender all winter and not worry about starting the bike?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/18/11 at 08:17:36

The advantage to starting every so often is to flush out the stale thickening gas out of the carb and flush oil thoroughout the engine.

When you do run it, run it long enough to thoroughly heat the oil.  This will drive off any moisture accumilation.

WWW   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 11/18/11 at 08:17:55

i took the battery out, checked all the water, charged it and put it inside where it'd stay warm - seemed fine in the spring -

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/20/11 at 19:12:58

Some people recommend draining the engine oil shortly before storage to get rid of the nasty chemicals from combustion blow-by and any water that might be in the crankcase and then leaving it empty.   I don't like to leave the engine without oil so I change the oil before storage.  That way I get rid of the nasty stuff and have oil in there when I start it up in the spring.  Otherwise I might forget that the case is empty.

Some also argue that oil left in the engine over the winter is not good.  There is some truth in that, moisture condenses and not all the sulfur compounds were totally flushed out when it was changed in the fall.  So I don't keep that winter batch in there all that long.  I change it out again before I start riding on a regular basis later in the late spring or early summer.  I do the same for my riding mower.

I would like to hear any recommendations on some easy places to attach leads so the battery can be easily charged without removing all the usual hardware.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/20/11 at 21:04:57

The hot side can be accessed w/o removing anything, a ground can be found. Put a little wire on the hot lead & get a ground, youve got a pigtail.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/21/11 at 10:50:21

I got the battery out, hook to charger every week or so. Crank the bike once or twice during winter, jump it from the car and let run for around one cigarette long. Rev a few times for good measure. On spring, oil&filter change and yipeeeeeee!
Having said that, had I not been doing the engine start - I would consider changing the oil BEFORE the winter. Or not... there's different theories pro and con. Pick what makes you happy. I enjoy hearing it run a few times over winter...

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - 11/23/11 at 07:08:20

Anyone in an area where it snows?  You guys still leave it out covered?  I'm thinking about riding through the winter when I can this year.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 11/23/11 at 07:54:43

Howitzer wrote on 11/23/11 at 07:08:20:
Anyone in an area where it snows?  You guys still leave it out covered?  I'm thinking about riding through the winter when I can this year.

I live in Idaho and we've had a couple snow storms already, but currently it's all melted again and the roads are clear. Mine rests in a heated garage at night, so that's a non-issue for me. I rode to work this morning and plan on riding as much as reasonably possible throughout the winter too. One extra thing to watch for while riding in the winter/spring is the excess sand/gravel that is thrown onto the road when there is snow. Feels like ball bearings in the corners if you're not ready for them.  Shocked

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 11/23/11 at 08:01:57

I'm in NY and and I leave mine outside covered all winter long. This year I will start it every other week tough and run it for 15 mins to get the parts moving. Will dump stabil in tank too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:25:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winterizing your bike...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.