Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Bike cuts out when throttling... (Read 663 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bike cuts out when throttling...
Reply #30 - 12/05/11 at 17:57:46

Just grab an O ring thats a little too big, if you cant find one thats Just Right. Lay it on the workbench & take a razor blade & cut it. Dont cut it straight across, cut it at an angle, more than 45 degrees, then, overlap to the right size & cut the thing off again, so the angles lay together. Ive done that twice, neither one leaked,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 12/05/11 at 19:28:04

What shape is your air filter in?

A very old dirty all plugged up air filter can cause increased gas consumption and a black fluffy plug.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 12/05/11 at 20:51:40

MaxMayhem wrote on 12/05/11 at 17:06:17:
verslagen1 - When you mentioned checking the breather tube was open, are you referring to the 2 tubes that come off the top of the carb?
I'm a bit unsure which tube you mean sorry.

The breather tube I was referring to is the big hose on top of the head, leads to the air filter.

But you bring up a good point, you got odd carb issues, check those carb vents.  many a bug has gotten itself stuck in odd places.  make sure they're open too.

WWW   IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #33 - 12/12/11 at 13:03:10

OK now that I know which tube you meant I can respond correctly.
The breather tube is NOT connected to my air filter.

The reason for that is that about 1 year ago, I put the bike in for a service and when I picked up the bike, I got about 2-5km from the stealership and oil was blasting over my right leg and the bike.

Rang the shop and made them come pickup the bike and fix it.

Their response was they couldn't work out why oil had blasted out, but could tell me it appeared to be (I think their description was) blowback from the breather tube.

They disconnected the tube from the filter and no more problem.

That was a long time ago, and I semi-reguarly pull out the air filter and very gently clean all the bugs etc out of it, but if some crap has gotten stuck inside the airfilter tube where the breather hose connects to it then maybe something is partly jamming the tube?

Will take a squizz at it during the xmas break.  Bike is currently still going through more gas than usual and the stuttering in 5th and sometimes 4th hasn't gotten worse but hasn't stopped either.

May need to simply strip down the tank etc, clean everything including inside of all the tubes and put back together.

Is there anything I may have not have tightened correctly or missed when I stripped down the carby that could be causing the fuel usage/internal leaking?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 12/12/11 at 14:19:43

MaxMayhem wrote on 12/12/11 at 13:03:10:
Their response was they couldn't work out why oil had blasted out, but could tell me it appeared to be (I think their description was) blowback from the breather tube.

They disconnected the tube from the filter and no more problem.

Is there anything I may have not have tightened correctly or missed when I stripped down the carby that could be causing the fuel usage/internal leaking?

They probably overfilled it.  It doesn't take much for me to get oil blown up the breather tube.  I'd put it back and salle la gare.  Or you should at least put a filter on the end of the tube to keep from sucking all the dust outta the air and into your engine.

carbs are finiky things, doesn't take much to throw them off.  accept it, take it apart, take a can of carb cleaner, blow it out again and put it back together.  Keep doing it till it runs right.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 12/12/11 at 18:30:02

I think I smell an old blocked up air filter, I do ....

If you have only periodically pulled it out and removed the bugs and trash from it, and we also know it has survived an oil sump overfill puke event into the air box a time or two ....

Then what you have really got is an oil impregnated dirt saturated partial air blockage instead of a free flowing air filter.

And no wonder your bike runs rich (black fluffy plug) and it acts funny.

Stock air filters must be dry (never wetted with water or oil) and clean for them to work correctly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #36 - 12/13/11 at 16:50:40

I hear what your saying oldfella, but when the oil blew back it did not go into the air filter believe it or not.
It blew out from the top of the engine somewhere.
The filter was still bone dry and clean.

I will look at getting a new filter anyway as it cannot hurt to replace it.
Anyone got a photo of what a new filter should look like so I can compare with mine, just for curiosity sake really.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #37 - 12/13/11 at 22:22:05

Savage air filter from HiFloFiltro Part #HFA3608. ($15)
Raptor Petcock part # 5LP-24500-01-00 ($25)

Don't have a picture handy, but the filter is about 1/2" thick and a WILD guess at 6x8" with a small bracket sticking out to install with screw. Direct bolt up--no problem. Paper element. Suzuki OE air filter is around $40.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 12/15/11 at 06:47:15

Suzuki OE air filter is around $40.

Which is about $20.00 too much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
baker87

ridin since 06

venus tx
Reply #39 - 12/15/11 at 19:37:58

i dont think its the air filter, i would check vacuum with a mercury vacuum guage.... u might be loosing vacuum and fuel through a diaphragm in the carb that was installed wrong....

ride hard/live hard
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #40 - 12/15/11 at 19:55:01

Hmm baker87, you might be on to something there.

As I took my carb out and apart while at work I did rush, and it is totally possible I didn't sit the diaphram in correctly when putting back together.

Another thing to add to the check list during xmas.

To those providing help on the air filter, I was not clear what I meant.

I was hoping for a picture to compare the state of my filter to a 'clean' filter.
Getting a new one isn't a problem for me, just wanted to see if it's condition would indicate it was full of crap or not to rule it out.

Thanks for the info though peeps.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 12/15/11 at 20:57:19

Here's a dirty one ....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183640744

or it would be if all my pics at Hunt101 just hadn't gone to never neverland with the site itself.

« Last Edit: 12/16/11 at 04:42:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #42 - 01/15/12 at 18:57:51

OK. Final update (I hope)

All problems pretty much gone now.
I took carb out again and rechecked to make sure I hadn't accidently pinched the diaphram or something equally stupid (and totally possible for me) but it was near perfect, including gunk in jets etc.

So I went with Oldfellers idea and it was the filter!

Got a new suzuki one through the stealership (was half the cost of an aftermarket one) popped it in when I got home from work, cleaned out any crap in the airbox first, and next morning, it went fine so opened her up and there was a little bit of stutter that first ride, but it was pretty much all gone by the ride home after work.

2 days or so after using new filter, gas use has now dropped back down to normal levels.

Justin_o_guy2 - hold on to your wallet mate, cause the suzuki filter was $78 (new zealand)

I don't have time to muck around with ebay etc sites as this bike is my only way to work, so just sucked it up and got it.

Really couldn't spare the $ but decided I was spending 2$-3$ extra per day on fuel, so if I took too long the filter would have paid for itself before I had even sourced a cheaper one.

So only got the leaking speedo cable to fix now.  Tried cutting one to fit, and it worked mostly but small amount of oil still coming out, so will try again with more precision less haste this time.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #43 - 01/16/12 at 05:46:51

Well Helleyluyah,....score one for OF !

Its going to be very hard for him to ever believe that anything on a Savage could be fixed w/o doing a Raptor !!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #44 - 01/16/12 at 06:42:12

Justin_o_guy2 - hold on to your wallet mate, cause the suzuki filter was $78 (new zealand)

OWCHIE!!

OF has a mod that works really well & costs almost nothing.. After you blow that paper one clean a few times, you may want to try it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 01:30:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike cuts out when throttling...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.