Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Bike cuts out when throttling... (Read 663 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Bike cuts out when throttling...
Reply #15 - 11/16/11 at 15:30:31

That's part of the joy of running in Prime -- getting stopped dead by the side of the road with no prior warning.

Tongue

Max might tell us if he had simply run out of gas (me, I wouldn't, I'd be too durn embarrassed).  

But seriously, every time you run it totally dry you run the chance of sticking the float because that's where the float likes to jam up, at the very end of its travel.

With a Raptor in place, you tend to stay at the midpoint of the float travel (where you are supposed to live all the time).  Having a reserve again means you don't get caught dead by the roadside like you can do running in Prime.  

$24 for a Raptor gets you some concrete benefits.

But your point is a valid one (embarrassing, but valid) ....  it fits all the symptoms.

Max has plenty enough suggestions from everybody now -- he'll get back to us with new information once he has a chance to work on it some.  

Once we have new data, we can refine and fine tune some.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #16 - 11/16/11 at 18:08:27

Howitzer - Fair question, but I did research here before using the prime fix, and I always fill up with fuel each night after work, which gets me home and back with at least quarter+ tank to spare.

But on a good note, I have got bike working fine again.
I cannot say for sure what worked as I had limited time to get everything done during work hours, so I just did everything I could, as quick as I could, but here's all I did.

Took out spark plug - Black as the ace of spades...brushed down with a wire brush, reinserted (Will be getting new one very soon)

Removed tank to get to carb and removed carb.
Stripped carb down on work bench, removed all jets, and any moving parts, and anything that would unscrew and sprayed crc 5.56 all through the beast.
Then allowed to airdry, then used my battery charger/compressor to blow out each jet and every hole, chamber, etc on the carb till I could see no tiny specks anywhere and the jets appeared completely clear.

Put all back together, mucking around to get carb and line full of fuel again and took for blat around the city block.

No cutting out, or dying at lights etc, so at this stage all appears fine.

Serowbot - I will get around to blocking those vac lines etc one weekend when I get time, but for now I'm just stoked I don't need to fork out all my xmas money on the bike (again!)

Thanks for the help as usual ppl, always good to know I can rely on you folks. Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 11/17/11 at 19:53:47

If plug was black and fluffy -- you got extra fuel getting into the system somewhere.    Blockoff your vac tube and put the cap on the nipple.

If it was black and greasy -- rings or valve seals leaking oil

Check again when you get the new plug ready -- black & fluffy and you ain't done yet

("I'll be back" sez ol' Arnold the VacTerminator)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #18 - 11/20/11 at 17:18:34

Ok, can anyone tell/show me exactly which parts to cap, and how to cap and with what?

May seem dumb question to most of you, but I'd hate to do a 'I-know-what-I'm-doing' fix and block the wrong parts Sad

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 11/20/11 at 17:40:46

Howitzer wrote on 11/16/11 at 13:23:57:
This may be a newb question, but is it possible he's just running out of gas?  With the petcock set on prime, you never know when you're out of gas.

Posted pic on page one...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #20 - 11/20/11 at 18:28:29

Sorry Serowbot, but at my work the pics you posted are hosted at a blocked filehoster, so they don't show.
All that appears is a fullstop. "."
Only pictures uploaded to this forum show.
I will have to have a look when I get home.

Thanks for telling me or I would never have known.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 11/20/11 at 20:16:04

I cut out pretty bad when Im being throttled myself..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #22 - 11/20/11 at 21:12:51

some ppl quite enjoy being cut out during throttling i hear Wink
Any one for kung fu Smiley

IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #23 - 11/24/11 at 18:13:01

Update:

Bike no longer cuts out, but...

The speedo-cable is very slowly leaking what appears to be oil at the engine end. Not much at all, really a very slow trickle, but never did it before the issue I had at beginning of this thread, and I have removed it previously.

Should the thread coming off the engine at the base of the cable be totaly under the screw nut because mine still has 1-2 full rotations of thread showing and I can't for the life of me get it any tighter.

The washer/seal is still there, and appears fine, and I have made sure the cable has been correctly inserted into the notch on the engine end before tightening.

Also now in fifth gear, bike "stutters" like it is having the fuel supply choked slightly, but tends to "stutter" back to normal after a few seconds, but continues to do this intermittently while in fifth gear only.
In fourth, bike runs perfectly fine.

Could this be a result of having now closed off the vac lines as Serowbot suggested, there is now no vac-assisted 'pull' of fuel while in prime on petcock?.
I know prime means it is now gravity fed, but I'm going with the theory that the vac lines being opened helped the flow to some degree?

Or could it be because the spark plug was fouled and while I wire-brushed it up, I am only getting a replacement plug tonight?  I don't 'think' this would be the reason given that right before the cutting out issue, plug would have been fouled and fifth gear was fine.

Any ideas appreciated  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 11/24/11 at 18:29:33

There's some pressure in the case due to the 'breathing' of the engine and  blow by.  Check your breather tube to make sure it's open.

And most people lose this seal and replace it with a o ring.  yours may just be worn out.

Fuel is always gravity fed and don't think that the puffing action of the petcock aides in fuel flow in any way.  The petcock opens at a low pressure and bottoms out against the flange.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 11/25/11 at 02:55:15

<Also now in fifth gear, bike "stutters" like it is having the fuel supply choked slightly, but tends to "stutter" back to normal after a few seconds, but continues to do this intermittently while in fifth gear only.
In fourth, bike runs perfectly fine.

Could this be a result of having now closed off the vac lines as Serowbot suggested, there is now no vac-assisted 'pull' of fuel while in prime on petcock?.
I know prime means it is now gravity fed, but I'm going with the theory that the vac lines being opened helped the flow to some degree?>

Durned if that doesn't sound like a classical vac petcock fuel starvation symptom.  But you are running in Prime, right?

This sounds very basic (please bear with me) but did you notice the little cast in place arrow on the lever of the stock vac petcock?   Where it points is what is going on with the petcock and that is ass backwards from what the entire lever points towards ....

We had a fellow who used the entire lever as his mental pointer instead of the little cast in place arrow and he was quite confused by what was going on with his bike accordingly and nobody could help him until he realized what the cast in place arrow on the lever meant.

I know, it is stupid and possibly sorta insulting (I apologize) but I gotta ask it because it has happened before.

================

Next, the screen mesh pores on the stock vac petcock could be blocked with varnish film not giving you enough gas flow at full speed.  To check it, pull it off the tank and spray it out with carb cleaner until all the pores in the screen mesh are open.

=============

Might I also suggest for consideration that you simply remove your stock vac petcock completely and replace it with a Raptor?  This $24 spent allows you to completely ignore all the many possible vac petcock related symptoms/errors/strange quirks in your chase for proper throttle function as you won't have a vac petcock to confuse things any more.   This will also get you back a reserve function which you have given up while running in Prime.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 11/25/11 at 07:51:29

... could still be sucking air or fuel down that vac line,... causing stumble..
Cap it... at the petcock and at the carb...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 11/25/11 at 09:44:40

You can just cut the line in the middle, fold it back on itself on both ends & zip tie both ends & see.. If that solves it, then you can make it pretty.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #28 - 11/25/11 at 12:31:24

"I know, it is stupid and possibly sorta insulting (I apologize) but I gotta ask it because it has happened before."

Don't apologize,that's the kind of small thing I would completely overlook and take for granted.  I will check when I go out to garage later on.

"... could still be sucking air or fuel down that vac line,... causing stumble..
Cap it... at the petcock and at the carb...
Wink... "

I capped where you had in the picture.  So I assume I've capped at the carb, but you advise capping not at the hose end with the golf tee, but at the other end of the hose off of the petcock..yes?

"Next, the screen mesh pores on the stock vac petcock could be blocked with varnish film not giving you enough gas flow at full speed.  To check it, pull it off the tank and spray it out with carb cleaner until all the pores in the screen mesh are open."  

I had thought to take a squiz at that mesh, as that was what seemed next in the logical procession: fuel in tank, fuel out tank through petcock, petcock has filter (maybe it's blocked).

IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #29 - 12/05/11 at 17:06:17

Latest update.

Since pulling everything apart as described earlier, I have noticed I am going through about 1-1.5 litres of fuel more per day.

No leaks I can find or tell-tale signs...except Oldfellers comment on the plug.

When I removed the old plug to put the new one in, it was again black.
It was black and fluffy, so added to my quite large increase in fuel use while still going the same distance as before, I'm with you on there being some kind of fuel leak.

Where though I have no idea.

Still got the stumble in fifth, and it sometimes occurs in fourth when trying to accelerate quicker than normal (overtaking cager's)

Haven't yet got around to yanking off the tank and checking the filter, but while it may be contributing to the stumble it doesn't explain the increased fuel use.

Can't find a darn replacement seal or oring to match for the speedo cable yet either.

Oldfeller - I'd love to get a raptor and lose all these issues, but here in nz it won't be $24, and I will need to shop around online I think for a raptor unless some other kiwi's here know where I can get one from.

verslagen1 - When you mentioned checking the breather tube was open, are you refering to the 2 tubes that come off the top of the carb?
I'm a bit unsure which tube you mean sorry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 05:48:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike cuts out when throttling...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.