Send Topic Print
Mr. Raptor (Read 460 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Mr. Raptor
11/11/11 at 17:30:06

Well, my stock petcock has gone the way of all (flesh?), replaced with a Raptor petcock as so many here have done. My thanks to the many here who have offered their advices on the subject, with special thanks to txsizzler; after watching his YouTube videos 2-3 times, by the time I actually did it I felt like I'd already done it. MOST useful for the faint of wrench.

I concluded I needed to make the switch even w/o doing Serowbot's petcock test, based on the bikes behavior - spontaneous silence followed by reluctance to start. When I pulled the vacuum line this afternoon, sure enough, there was gasoline therein, a sure sign of vacuum petcock failure. On a 2007 with just over 3000 miles on the clock. (!) Angry

Anyway, to my question: While I didn't smell any gasoline in the sump, is it's presence in the vac line cause for alarm?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mr. Raptor
Reply #1 - 11/11/11 at 17:52:47

Arizuno wrote on 11/11/11 at 17:30:06:
Anyway, to my question: While I didn't smell any gasoline in the sump, is it's presence in the vac line cause for alarm?

There's always a presents of gas in the sump, a small amount won't cause harm.

so if the level didn't rise you're fine.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 11/11/11 at 18:57:17

If you can't sniff it at the oil fill hole or can't see any rise in oil level, don't sweat it.   It is only there temporarily anyway.

Tiny amounts of gasoline will stay in suspension in the oil until normal engine heat causes them to evaporate into the crankcase vapors that our engines constantly re-digest through the huff tube from the head which goes to the post filter side of the air box.  

Your various crankcase vapors then get sucked back into the cylinder and burned with the normal charge of gas vapor.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 11/12/11 at 06:50:32

Arizuno,

You've had it a few days now, how about your gut impressions about the post Raptor change performance, reliability, etc. etc.

Grin   Grin   Grin

The boys are all bored acting again, so we might as well chase some butterflies together ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #4 - 11/12/11 at 08:22:33

I just installed it yesterday, but I'll comment more as I get more familiar with it. One thing I think I noticed was reduced low speed surging, at the beginning of my ride, which I'd been attributing to unsteady operator input. In fairness, though, it's cooler here now so I was using a little choke, which may have mitigated that issue. I'm planning a longer ride today & will do my best to pay attention to (the bike's) behavioral differences. What should I expect? If it only ceases to shut itself off at inconvenient times, I'll be delighted.

BTW, for all who may be following this thread, with all the verbal and video help availavble here, removal/installation couldn't have been easier. Piece o' cake.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 11/12/11 at 11:30:04

I get that same surge/loss of power in 1st/2nd gear when my bike is cold, too.  Didn't know if it was the vacuum petcock or just the nature of the beast.  Seems to go away once the engine has had some time to warm up though, so I don't sweat it.  It does make me feel silly pulling out of work and having the bike act up cause it's cold.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/12/11 at 11:36:32

Alpha,.. check your vac line for presence of any fuel... if that's okay,.. you can try running on prime...
... but,... a cold engine will always be a bit persnickety... probably normal...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #7 - 11/12/11 at 12:49:43

Just returned from the afore-mentioned ride (man it's windy today!). The most I can report at this point is that throttle roll-on seems smoother, and perhaps a little more low-rpm power. I think Alpha's right about the cold engine low speed stumbles. In any case, the engine didn't retire until I instructed it to do so, and I have an idea that tendency is gone for good (or at least until some safety switch acts up).

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/12/11 at 14:50:43

AlphaBarney wrote on 11/12/11 at 11:30:04:
I get that same surge/loss of power in 1st/2nd gear when my bike is cold, too.  Didn't know if it was the vacuum petcock or just the nature of the beast.

Its not the petcock ! Any of you that think a Raptor is going to fix any lower speed problem, when it still will run at hi speed, is suffering from the petcock paranoia that has set in here. And the paranoia is getting so bad that imagination has taken priority over common sense,.....like seeing stuff that ain't even there,.....like gas being sucked up a vacuum hose, but not ending up anywhere.
Keep it up OF,...you're doing a great job,....you should really be proud ! Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #9 - 11/12/11 at 15:36:36

Routy - Is the vacuum hose a likely/appropriate place to find gasoline? There was definately gasoline in my vacuum hose when I removed it yesterday, and I can't help thinking it shouldna been there.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/12/11 at 15:51:34

Arrg there, matey !!  

Routy believes you to be delusional,  you be seeing vac hose fuel whut isn't there ....

Summat like them 'oliphants what he sees, when he's a crying in his cups late at night.

Routy ain't seen no bad vac petcorks nowhere -- so's obviously there AIN'T any, nowhere.

Nottin' of whut all the dozens of Raptor folks have seen with their own eyes is REAL (sez Routy with assurance).

I have infected you all with a fictitious virus thingie, and you is all in a pitched fever from it -- surely you can see whut he means, can't you?

I have made you all see imaginary fictitious thingies whut ain't there .....

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

me be a 'orrible bad pirate fer doin' it to ye, surely surely so

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 11/12/11 at 16:05:25

Oldfeller,... could ye hytnostize me to see'in through the ladies coverin's to their naughty bits?...
I be offrin' me rum rations and spare pistol for such a privilege?...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/12/11 at 17:04:55

Nay, Serrobot, I canst be a doing it unless Routy he be saying it be so ....

The magic of the delusionment she lays with Routy .....   not wid me.

He has to be convinced I done give'd it to ye beforin' it will be so.

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

T'is a strange sort of odd magic, this be sure & true enough .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #13 - 11/12/11 at 17:06:44

Lash 'im to the foc'sle davit! Belay the snotter gudgeon! I'm off to drown me sorrows in a flagon of SeaFoam!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 11/13/11 at 02:02:43

Seriously,

Has anybody that put on a Raptor not seen needed improvements?    

Speak up, we really want to know.

==============

This is apart from getting rid of all the vac petcock confusion so you could clearly see a real carb issue if it existed?  

There have been a few of those, but not very many ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:20:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mr. Raptor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.