Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Rear tire...
11/11/11 at 15:51:33

I just ordered a Shinko 712 for my back tire... I'm so excited I feel like,...
...ahhhh... I just wet myself... Huh...

... anyway,... $66.00 shipped at Ron Ayers...
http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/2107/SKU/1200215

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Rear tire...
Reply #1 - 11/11/11 at 16:53:21

Is that like, really on sale? I paid $108 for a Dunlop 404 last winter.

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #2 - 11/11/11 at 20:28:59

drums1 wrote on 11/11/11 at 16:53:21:
Is that like, really on sale? I paid $108 for a Dunlop 404 last winter.

Shinko is far less expensive than Dunlop.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 11/11/11 at 21:09:42

I have a Shinko 777 front tire... I hate it... but it was cheap.. I shoulda got the whitewall.. I'll trade it for a stock front tire Cheesy

IP Logged
lg_fry
YaBB Newbies

York, PA
Reply #4 - 11/12/11 at 11:15:15

I went with the pirelli mt 66 a couple weeks ago and I think shipped from ron ayers it was a little over 80. great tire so far, but man is it ever a pain to get on the rim when all you have to do it with is two big screwdrivers. The sidewalls are remarkably thicker. So far though the tire's been great in rain, great traction all around.

You want something cheaper, get the pirelli.

No one's ever said that before lol.

2007 Boulevard S40, Saddleman bags, Emgo Reverse Cone Muffler

55 mpg at last fill-up
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 11/12/11 at 11:35:05

I put the Pirelli 66 on my suzuki 1500,really like them they give a better ride too.I have them for my S40 will put them on pretty soon.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/12/11 at 11:44:40

I'll bet those Pirelli's are good... Wink...

I've had two sets of Dunlop 404's... and was impressed when they were new,... but for me,.. they seemed to lose something as they aged...
Maybe they dried out kinda' fast... not so sticky as they wore down...
Hoping the Shinko's have a bit more grip... not expecting them to last quite as long...  404's went about 11k average...
From what I've read,... the Shinko's go 8 to 12k, depending...
That'll be 8k for me... Huh...

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 11/12/11 at 12:20:08

How much balancing and stuff do you gotta do with those Pirelli 66? I don't have a bike jack so I have to get it done at the shop, is it worth it?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 11/12/11 at 12:52:51

You don't need a bike stand or lift to work on your bike. Do you have a scissor jack in your car?. Do you have a friend with a car and jack? Do you have access to concrete blocks? Rope? Wife to shine light in your eyes while you change tire? I am so out of funds because of gas and groceries, I've gone from Metzeler to Pirelli to thinking about Shenko. I figure if I take the rear off myself I can save nearly enough to stay with Pirelli. It's around $100 locally.  Sorry Serowbot, but I'm hard on tires. Let us know how it works for you. With prices going up the Metz on the front may be my last Metz.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #9 - 11/13/11 at 02:34:31

I have to say I noticed a vry appreciable difference when I switched from the Dunlops that came with my bike to Metzler's... My bike REALLY carves now! ....But I also paid nearly $350 for them. (including installation)

For this bike I highly recommend the Metzler Marathon's. But everyone's budget is different and I think fresh rubber you can trust is more important than the name stamped on the side.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #10 - 11/13/11 at 08:02:17

Boofer wrote on 11/12/11 at 12:52:51:
You don't need a bike stand or lift to work on your bike. Do you have a scissor jack in your car?. Do you have a friend with a car and jack? Do you have access to concrete blocks? Rope? Wife to shine light in your eyes while you change tire? I am so out of funds because of gas and groceries, I've gone from Metzeler to Pirelli to thinking about Shenko. I figure if I take the rear off myself I can save nearly enough to stay with Pirelli. It's around $100 locally.  Sorry Serowbot, but I'm hard on tires. Let us know how it works for you. With prices going up the Metz on the front may be my last Metz.  

I don't have any room to prop my bike up and change the tires, plus I've never done it before.. do I need to balance and weight the Pirelli 66?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/13/11 at 08:36:42

1st time, prepare for fun.
verify direction of the arrow before you take the old tire off.
I'd even mark it on the rim.
when you go to put it on, lot's of lube, inside and out, rim and tire.
align the spot on the tire with the valve stem.
and when you get the 1st bead on and the tube in, take a moment and see if it's balanced.
Use the axle to support the wheel between two jack stands... two chairs or anything that's nearly level.
spin it and see where and how it stops.  
if just stops and you wheels spin pretty free, then you're done.  
if it rocks back you got a heavy spot.  if it stops with the valve stem north or south, you gotta add weight.  But if it's left or right you can try to shift the tire to balance it.  trial and error.
And finally getting the last bead in, good luck.
1st half is easy, right up to 2/3 done, then it becomes a b!tch.
make sure the part you already have in sets in the well, c-clamps do help.  put 1 on the rim to prevent the bead from slipping out on you.  if you got a couple of big ones then squeeze the tire to keep the bead in the groove.
Resist the temptation to pry over the last section of bead as your tool will come down on the tube and pierce it.
I pinched the tube my 1st try, ended up taking it to the dealer cause I was done in.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 11/13/11 at 08:49:43

You don't have to balance any tire,.. but it's best to balance them...
The heavier, and longer lasting the tire, the more you'll gain from balancing...
I've been told by a very experienced bike mechanic, that (oddly enough), cheap Chinese tires tend to need little or no weights to balance... maybe because they are lighter, ...and because they wear faster anyway...
I chose the Shinko's because they are cheap, grippy, and known to be light,(less unsprung weight)... and I'm only riding about 3k per year, lately... (don't want a tire to last more than 3 years or so,... so that it doesn't dry out)...
If you are a heavy/high mile rider,... I think Metzlers are worth the cash, and will probably save money in the long run...
Long lasting tires give up a little grip for longevity,.. (harder rubber compound),... and if they suffer damage, you have more investment to lose..
Plus,.. if they stay on the bike for more than 3 or 4 years, they will dry out, lose grip, and crack...
... but some riders would have to change tires every 6 months with cheapy tires...  

So, there ain't no bad tires,... you just buy the tire for how you ride...
JMO,.. 2 cents worth... Wink...

« Last Edit: 11/13/11 at 10:01:24 by Serowbot »  

IP Logged
lg_fry
YaBB Newbies

York, PA
Reply #13 - 11/14/11 at 08:49:40

Vers, excellent instructions, exactly how it should be done. And as for freshness of rubber vs name on the side, there is a correlation between the two. Consider that Pirelli is #1 in how many high perf, high grip racing tires, all over the world. I put mine on myself, so I know the difference in quality, huge as it is between the pirelli and the IRC stock

2007 Boulevard S40, Saddleman bags, Emgo Reverse Cone Muffler

55 mpg at last fill-up
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/14/11 at 09:00:05

Hey you Pirelli fans.

I still have these laying around:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1316537271
Check the last post by me for the specs on wear and such.

Reducing the price.
Front: $10 plus shipping
Rear: $25 plus shipping

As I said before, shipping method is your choice, as you are paying it.
(Just been too lazy to put on Craig's List).

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:17:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear tire...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.