Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need resistors for LED signals? (Read 158 times)
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need resistors for LED signals?
11/11/11 at 06:26:55

I'm doing a Ryca build using the supplied LED signals in the rear and adding LED signals up forward. Do I need to incorporate a resistor somewhere in the system to keep the lights from flashing too fast. If so, how much resistance will I need and where to install it (them)?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Need resistors for LED signals?
Reply #1 - 11/11/11 at 07:04:53

much easier just to get an electronic flasher

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 11/11/11 at 08:00:09

I think the faster blinking attracts more attention because it's unusual. It possible for other drivers to accidentally look away between normal speed blinks.

But if you want a normal blinking rate, then you'll probably need resistors. Here's an FAQ from one of the big supplies or motorcycle lights:

http://www.customdynamics.com/led_motorcycle_lighting_faqs.htm

If you're the Radio Shack DIY type, you can pick up the necessary resisters cheaply. Otherwise there are pre-made options that either replace the stock flasher relay or get wired in.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/11/11 at 08:06:06

What is an electronic flasher and who makes them?

verslagen1 wrote on 11/11/11 at 07:04:53:
much easier just to get an electronic flasher

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/11/11 at 08:23:25

Serowbot wrote on 09/27/11 at 17:11:36:
The flasher is under the gas tank on the right side... get an electronic replacement for LEDS...
Auto parts store, about $10 or $12 bucks...

thumperclone wrote on 06/16/11 at 11:14:27:
check
signal dynamics.com
think they make those..
with any led turn signal youll need an electronic flasher(best) or
load equilizers(resistance)

think that kit is all new led bulbs yellow/amber for turns and reds for run and red for brake..
think paladin has that set up on his scoot..

youzguyz wrote on 06/05/11 at 08:39:51:
go to :
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2D...

Site is a booger to navigate.

Go to electronic LED flashers.
Go down to the motorcycle flashers

Look for "LF1-S-FLAT: Universal Motorcycle Flasher"

This is a Plug and Play flasher for the LS650.  I know, I bought one, it works.  Others have done so as well.

This and a hundred others if you search "LED flasher"

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 11/11/11 at 08:49:56

MotoBuddha wrote on 11/11/11 at 08:00:09:
I think the faster blinking attracts more attention because it's unusual. It possible for other drivers to accidentally look away between normal speed blinks.

Not sure what your state requirements are, but in PA your signals have to be between two frequencies, i think between 60 and 120hz (between pulsing once and twice per second), so this might be a legality mod rather than personal preference.

I'd also say go for the flasher. It is easier to install (no soldering!) and keeps the power/heat benefits that come with LEDs. actually, don't take my word on that, i've just been under the assumption that adding resistors negate the power (and heat) saving benefits over standard bulbs and that flashers don't. maybe someone more versed in the lighting department can verify?

If you did want to go the resistor route, my initial guess would be to take a multimeter (ohmeter) and measure the resistance of the standard bulb, then of the LED array, and just add a resistor inline that adds up to about the same as the bulb. but that is a guess off the top of my head. some things in electronics are more like magic than science.... to me anyways  Shocked

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 11/11/11 at 09:13:50

spacepirates wrote on 11/11/11 at 08:49:56:

Not sure what your state requirements are, but in PA your signals have to be between two frequencies, i think between 60 and 120hz (between pulsing once and twice per second), so this might be a legality mod rather than personal preference.

I'd also say go for the flasher. It is easier to install (no soldering!) and keeps the power/heat benefits that come with LEDs. actually, don't take my word on that, i've just been under the assumption that adding resistors negate the power (and heat) saving benefits over standard bulbs and that flashers don't. maybe someone more versed in the lighting department can verify?

If you did want to go the resistor route, my initial guess would be to take a multimeter (ohmeter) and measure the resistance of the standard bulb, then of the LED array, and just add a resistor inline that adds up to about the same as the bulb. but that is a guess off the top of my head. some things in electronics are more like magic than science.... to me anyways  Shocked

Signals aren't even required here.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #7 - 11/11/11 at 11:35:40

Found this online: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179649

it is for a car with running lights, but the theory will be the same and it shows you pretty well where the resistor would go, if you decide to go that route. Resistor goes in parallel with the bulb/LED array between power and ground.

all about tradeoffs: flashers are easier and more efficient but more expensive. resistors are more work and "wasteful" but cheap.

jealous of your freedom, MotoBuddha. We've got a lot of crappy regulations that the inspector can get you for if they feel like it.

Wombat, resistors are cheap enough that you can try a few out and not break the bank. You don't have to solder them in fully either, you can twist the wires together temporarily to test them out. just be careful with electricity, try not to put yourself in a situation that could result in a short and shock the sh*t out of you, though i'd imagine the load is limited for the signals. better safe than shocked.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/11/11 at 16:25:43

Autozone has resistor/ load equalizers for about $12 a pair. They are 26 watt resistors & install between the load (turn signal wire) & ground. I had to use them on my 950 instead of replacing the flasher because the flasher has a built in turn signal cut off feature I didn't want to give up.  Grin

I  used a five wire to four wire automotive trailer wiring converter to make them function as run/turn/brake lights. Cheap & easy to find if it should burn out. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/13/11 at 07:42:05

Ridge, what are you running there? Big shiny turnout, car tire, bling... which bike is that?

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/13/11 at 10:22:55

dasch wrote on 11/13/11 at 07:42:05:
Ridge, what are you running there? Big shiny turnout, car tire, bling... which bike is that?

It's a '09 V-Star 950T that I will have owned 2 years on the 20th of this month. I drilled the baffle in the stock muffler & added the SS turnout. That car tire has over 8k on it now & is a huge improvement over any m/c tire I've ever ran. Almost everything on this bike is something I made or modified because I think most m/c parts are way over priced. I'm most proud of my receiver style trailer hitch because with the ball mount removed you would never know I have a hitch. Shocked

After 3 Savages starting in '88 I felt the need to get a more comfortable bike for 2up riding. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 11/13/11 at 12:53:21

On one of my bikes I had incandescents on the front and LEDs on the back. Somehow I got the wiring switched around so that all the signals were on full bright all the time and blinked OFF when I signaled. That was fine with me until I saw that the heat from the incandescents was melting the signal housings. Oops.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/16/11 at 14:34:12

spacepirates wrote on 11/11/11 at 08:49:56:

Not so. Car turn signals have to be between 60-120 flashes per minute...yes...but in PA motorcycles are not required to have turn signals for inspection. PA's weird though. Could be you dont have to have them for inspection but you have to have them to operate on public roads. Motorcycles are only allowed to have two lights for forward illumination (headlights). You can have a light bar for high beams, or low beams, but if you've got your actual headlight set to be low beam it has to kick off when you switch the bar light on to high beam. Legally. Of course it depends where ou look too. Fuhqing stupid.
In any case, i bought a bunch of LED bulbs and a premade relay and soldered it all up, put the bulbs in. Dandy...the relay quit working two days later. I switched to ease the load on my mini-battery but after switching back the concern proved to be unfounded.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 11/16/11 at 20:24:46

So far, I have resisted the temptation to change to LEDS, so, I dont have to sweat it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #14 - 11/16/11 at 22:06:50

Having changed every single light on my savage to leds (except headlight - that's hid), I can tell you it's easier to get a flasher. Also, you can make an led flasher, if you want to save a few bucks.

http://www.circuitlab.org/2010/07/schematic-led-flasher.html

I did it because I'm an electronics junkie and I had the parts laying around, but you're better of buying the flasher imo.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need resistors for LED signals?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.