Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
seat raise and carb spring clipping mod questions (Read 197 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

seat raise and carb spring clipping mod questions
11/09/11 at 10:25:26

I was perusing the tech docs section and decided to do a couple mods since I've got some free time.

First is the seat raise mod, where you add spacers and longer bolts where they bolt at the bottom of the gas tank.  My question about this is if I add like a 3/4 or 1 inch to the height in the front, do I have to add some support for the sides of the seat at the bike frame.  right now there's some rubber contact points on the sides of the seat.  If i raise the front an inch they won't touch without the seat doing some bending.  The person who originally posted the mod over there didn't mention sides supports but some responders did.  Is it ok or maybe even preferred by some for the seat to bend or is it gonna break?

And number two is clipping spring #35 that's used to control the air cut valve diaphram so it's not so stiff to allow more free movement.  supposed to cut the backfire on decel and afterfire pretty well.  I just wanted to make sure before I get to clipping which spring we're talking about here.  When I looked at a carb diagram it was saying #35 was the screw at the idle adjustment screw.  I was under the impression that they were talking about the screw inside of the casing shown in the image I've attached.  Tell me if I'm wrong before I cut something wrong.

Thanks guys.
p/s how do I just put an image in the post rather than attach one?

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: seat raise and carb spring clipping mod questi
Reply #1 - 11/09/11 at 10:36:43

Can't answer your tech questions as I haven't done those mods, but here's the answer to your picture question:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1240899665

(its in the Tech section too - at the top)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/09/11 at 10:45:12

An inch, I don't think will bend too much... I spacered mine more like two inches, and added a little support at the seat curve...  2" is great, but the higher you go, the more the back seat bolts get out of alignment...
So, that got a little modding. too...

Haven't done the decel spring mod,.. but if you're cutting a screw,... you're doing it wrong... Grin...

It's the spring behind number 15... (TIP,... don't cut much,.. and put the cut side to the outside, against the plate, not the diaphragm..)

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/09/11 at 10:56:06

alright i give up on trying to get that picture up here.  It's saying it's like 21,000 kb for some reason.  If you look at the right side of the carb it's the little casing held on by 3 screws.  I meant cutting a spring.  Is it the spring inside that little deal?

josh

IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/09/11 at 10:58:49

ok yeah that's the spring i was thinking.  Also, I'm a carb noob, but i can just take this off without doing anything else right? I'd think so since it's just the AIR cut off valve, but  I don't want fuel to like spray out and then everything burst into flames or anything.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 11/09/11 at 11:01:14

No problem,... fuel sits below the float... Yer' safe...

Don't strip screws,.. and don't cut too much... You can always cut more, but you can't put more back...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/09/11 at 11:22:46

j wrote on 11/09/11 at 10:58:49:
ok yeah that's the spring i was thinking.  Also, I'm a carb noob, but i can just take this off without doing anything else right? I'd think so since it's just the AIR cut off valve, but  I don't want fuel to like spray out and then everything burst into flames or anything.

Before running off and doing a mod to the carb, make sure it's clean.  A lot of things can be fixed with just a thorough cleaning.

Second, the flip side to that mod is adding a washer.  I would do that 1st before cutting to make sure that's the direction to go and it's easier to reverse if it's not the right mod.

WWW   IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/09/11 at 11:50:53

where exactly am I adding a washer? Are you talking about the white washer mod or is this something different.  Also, the clipping the spring mod is that clipping 10mm of metal like half or less of a single spiral or clipping 10mm of height if the spring was standing up, like maybe a couple spirals?  I won't clip anything yet, i'll wait and get some feedback here, but again, what's this washer thing?

Josh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/09/11 at 12:05:35

read backfire fix 2

WWW   IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/09/11 at 12:26:50

i think i found what you're talking about.  "backfiring TEV fix2"

I'm not 100% where they're talking about adding a washer, but it's on the spring side of the diaphram, essentially lengthening the spring by the washer thickness.  opposite of the spring cutting method.  How do I know which I need to do?  The bike doesn't die on decel or anything, doesn't even feel that rough, just backfires.  Is the washer method for people having trouble with the bike dying and spring method for people with backfiring?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 11/09/11 at 12:29:33

I long time ago I got a spring from someone on here (t had less tension built into it, came from an outboard I think) anyway, I replace the air enrichment spring (the one you're talking about) and at least in my case it ran like garbage. Sure there was no backfire but it smoked like a diesel and had no power left.
I put back the original which of course had not been cut. I was glad I hadn't cut it...just sayin'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/09/11 at 13:53:07

j wrote on 11/09/11 at 12:26:50:
i think i found what you're talking about.  "backfiring TEV fix2"

I'm not 100% where they're talking about adding a washer, but it's on the spring side of the diaphram, essentially lengthening the spring by the washer thickness.  opposite of the spring cutting method.  How do I know which I need to do?  The bike doesn't die on decel or anything, doesn't even feel that rough, just backfires.  Is the washer method for people having trouble with the bike dying and spring method for people with backfiring?

While I feel that you got it right... doing the mod that's reversable before doing the one that's not seems like the safest way to go.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 11/09/11 at 13:56:59

Putting the washer in worked better for me.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/09/11 at 14:37:38

Well I stuck a washer in there. How thick a washer are people starting with? I'll give it a good long ride tomorrow and see how it is. If that doesn't do the trick I guess I'll start snipping the spring

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 11/09/11 at 16:24:26

I just put in a standard 5/16 washer. I have no idea how thick it is.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:25:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › seat raise and carb spring clipping mod questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.